Haskell availability

John C. Peterson

Jun 9, 1990, 5:07:34 PM6/9/90
Two Haskell implementations are currently in the works. Groups at Yale
and Glasgow are working hard to make Haskell available to the rest of the
world. Both implementations are nearing completion and are undergoing
local testing. We have given up promising specific release dates but watch
for something Real Soon Now. News will be posted here when we are ready
to release either compiler. Both implementations will be released by ftp
from sites at Yale and Glasgow.

There will be a number of major differences between the two implementations.
Ours is implemented on top of T and will initially require users to obtain
a copy of T (which will be distributed with Haskell) while the Glasgow
group is using LML. In the long run, we plan to supply an entire
environment including incremental compilation, a good debugging system,
and other Haskell specific software tools. The environment supplied with
the initial release will be sparse but usable (we hope!).

Yale's implementation will be far superior Glasgow's! :-)

John Peterson
peters...@cs.yale.edu

Think Granite!

Giancarlo Succi

Jun 10, 1990, 1:50:15 PM6/10/90

I would be interested in receiving some information about the state of
the art of Haskell compilers: from what I read in this newsgroup and
in the Haskell mailing list I can induce that sequential
implementations are almost fully developed, but what about parallel
ones ? Does anyone have any idea on how the parallel implementations
are going on ? Moreover, among the parallel implementations, is anyone
developing a transputer one ? and, if so, can anyone give me some
details of it ?

Any help will be appreciated, and I promise to post a summary of what
I will receive in this newsgroup.

Giancarlo

Internet cha...@cs.Buffalo.Edu UUCP charmi%cs.buff...@ubvms.bitnet Bitnet
!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!charmi

Grapes, not strawberries!

Duke Briscoe

Jun 10, 1990, 6:24:08 PM6/10/90

This summer I hope to modify the Yale Haskell compiler to emit Mul-T
code for the Encore Multimax instead of T code. Para-functional
annotations added by the programmer to the Haskell source code will
indicate the desired operational behavior (parallelism and order of
evaluation). Since the Multimax is a shared memory computer, it
avoids some of the complexities that a transputer implementation would
have to deal with.

Duke

Jones

Jun 12, 1990, 3:53:53 AM6/12/90

Someone asked about whether anyone was working on
parallel implementations of Haskell.

Good news: we are; we have a parallel implementation running on the
GRIP multiprocessor, with absolute wall-clock speedup over the same
programs running on a comparable uniprocessor (never to be taken
for granted!). This has only recently sprung to life, so it will be
a while before we can report proper results.

Bad news: it only runs on GRIP at present, so that rather limits its
distribution. We have access to a Meiko transputer machine, but it
is quite a lot harder to deal with a distributed memory architecture. The
compiler would port rather easily to a shared-memory multiprocessor,
but we don't have access to one at present.

Simon Peyton Jones
Glasgow University

Kevin Hammond

Jun 12, 1990, 10:11:52 AM6/12/90
In article <25...@cs.yale.edu> peters...@CS.Yale.EDU (John C. Peterson) writes:
>Two Haskell implementations are currently in the works. Groups at Yale
>and Glasgow are working hard to make Haskell available to the rest of the
>world.
>
> ... the Glasgow group is using LML. In the long run, we plan to supply
> an entire environment including incremental compilation,
> a good debugging system, and other Haskell specific software tools.

This is to confirm John's announcement for the Glasgow compiler
(available RSN). It is not necessary to have LML to be able to use
Haskell, though the compiler will handle both Haskell and LML. The
speed of Haskell executables is comparable to LML (~50K-70K fcs on a
Sun 3/50 for what that's worth).

We will also be working on a debugger and some other goodies. Details
to follow.

>Yale's implementation will be far superior to Glasgow's! :-)

Not so: I have some fiendish examples to try on the Yale compiler :-) :-)

Kevin

--
This Signature Intentionally Left Blank. E-mail: k...@cs.glasgow.ac.uk

Diomidis Spinellis

Jun 25, 1990, 8:57:47 PM6/25/90
In article <25...@cs.yale.edu> peters...@CS.Yale.EDU (John C. Peterson) writes:
>Two Haskell implementations are currently in the works. Groups at Yale
>and Glasgow are working hard to make Haskell available to the rest of the
>world. Both implementations are nearing completion and are undergoing
>local testing. We have given up promising specific release dates but watch
>for something Real Soon Now. News will be posted here when we are ready
>to release either compiler. Both implementations will be released by ftp
>from sites at Yale and Glasgow.
[...]
Make the number of implementations THREE. An implementation of Haskell
is undergoing local testing here at Imperial College. It consists of
an intepreter and a compiler. The system is standalone i.e. not written
on top of another one. The interpreter works on a lambda tree, the compiler
goes into native assembly through G code. We will post distribution
information when we feel the code is mature to use. The whole implementation
team is currently on vacation trying to recover from the work, so for
more information mail to Susan Eisenbach (s...@doc.ic.ac.uk).

The Haskell implementation team:

Tassos Hadjicocolis
Diomidis Spinellis
Periklis Tsahageas

--
Diomidis Spinellis Internet: d...@cc.ic.ac.uk
Department of Computing UUCP: ...!ukc!iccc!dds