functional language archive (update)

Stephen J Bevan

Feb 9, 1992, 8:47:14 AM2/9/92
Since I posted a summary of the status of functional programs
available about a month ago, a few programs have been sent to me and
I've written one or two small programs.

Since this group isn't exactly overflowing with messages, I thought
I'd waste some bandwidth give you an update on what is available.
Following are the indices for the Haskell/Gofer and Miranda sections
of the archive.

Haskell/Gofer Index
-------------------

Key to file extensions

.lgs - Literate Gofer script
.lhs - Literate Haskell script
.gs - Gofer script
.hs - Haskell script

Available files :-

file : avl-tree-map.lgs
size : 4933
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
verion : $Id: avl-tree-map.lgs,v 1.3 1992/01/09 23:08:21 bevan Exp $
purpose : A Map based on an AVL tree
history : 1.2 -> 1.3 - added mapLookup
(should have been in from the start!)

file : avl-tree-set.lgs
size : 1631
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
version : $Id: avl-tree-set.lgs,v 1.3 1991/12/08 00:13:10 bevan Exp $
purpose : A Set based on an AVL tree

file : avl-tree.lgs
size : 10558
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date : $Id: avl-tree.lgs,v 1.6 1992/01/09 22:33:18 bevan Exp $
purpose : An AVL tree. This is a balanced tree with O(ln n) insertion time.
history : 1.5 -> 1.6 - added avlFind
(this should have been in from the start)

file : lit-code-conv.gs
size : 3645
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
version : $Id: lit-code-conv.lgs,v 1.2 1991/12/10 14:34:35 bevan Exp $
purpose : Same as literate version, but not in a literate format.
This allows you to use all the other literate Gofer
scripts by passing them through this first.

file : lit-code-conv.hs
size : 5638
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
version : $Id: lit-code-conv.hs,v 1.1 1992/01/11 03:57:49 bevan Exp $
purpose : Same as literate version, but not in a literate format.
This allows you to use all the other literate Haskell
scripts by passing them through this first.

file : lit-code-conv.lgs
size : 3645
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
version : $Id: lit-code-conv.lgs,v 1.2 1991/12/10 14:34:35 bevan Exp $
purpose : Convert a conventional file to a literate script and vice versa.

file : lit-code-conv.lhs
size : 5843
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
version : $Id: lit-code-conv.hs,v 1.1 1992/01/11 03:57:49 bevan Exp $
purpose : Convert a Haskell script into literate script and vice versa.
Note this has a different interface from the Gofer script
from which it is derived.

file : rb-tree.lgs
size : 9134
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
version : $Id: rb-tree.lgs,v 1.6 1992/01/09 23:19:54 bevan Exp $
purpose : A Red/Black Tree. This is a balanced tree with O(ln n) insertion
history : 1.5 -> 1.6 - added rbFind

file : translate.lhs
size : 3563
submitter : Stephen J. Bevan <be...@cs.man.ac.uk>
version : $Id: translate.lhs,v 1.1 1992/01/11 21:29:41 bevan Exp $
purpose : Defines `translate', a function that converts one string
to another. This is modelled on `tr' in Unix and `map' in Icon.

Miranda Index
=============

file : dbs.shar
size : 14939
author : Eniko Bogdan <en...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
date : 19920131
purpose : A simple database based on binary relationships

file : hangman.shar
size : 3669
author : Eniko Bogdan <en...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
date : 19920110
purpose : Game of HANGMAN (modified version of the game described in:
"Introduction to Functional Programming"
Richard Bird& Philip Wadler, page 196

files : turtle-[123456].uu
size : ~300K in total, each file is < 50K
author : Eniko Bogdan <en...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
date : 19920116
purpose : Turtle Graphics program is written in Miranda version
2.009 (Nov. 1989). Includes interfaces to X windows, laser
printers and tektronics plotters.

To install, get all 6 parts, cat them together and then
uudecode the result. This will produce a compressed tar
file.

The above files can be obtained by sending a message to the mailserver
attached to may mail address. As an example of how to retrieve files,
the following would send back dbs.shar from the miranda section and
translate.lhs from the haskell section :-

To: be...@cs.man.ac.uk
Subject: b-server-request

send miranda/dbs.shar
send haskell/translate.lhs

Make sure you put the `b-server-request' in the subject line, or the
mailserver will never see the request. To get a top level index of
what is available, send a message containing `send index'. If you
have any problems retrieving anything mail me direct (i.e. don't put
the `b-server-request' in the subject line).

Contributions to the archive are welcome, as are comments/criticisms
of any of the code therein (well mine anyway :-)

enjoy,

Stephen J. Bevan be...@cs.man.ac.uk

PS. The address parsing is very simple and often has problems with
UUCP addresses (about 50% work) and anything from Switzerland (0%
work !)

Stephen J Bevan

Feb 12, 1992, 8:47:13 AM2/12/92
For anybody attempting to use my mailserver, please note that it
doesn't split files into multiple mail messages. Consequently anybody
sending for the whole Miranda turtle code will have to request it in 6
separate messages. If you send for all in one message, it just
bounces at my end complaining the file is over 100K.

Also if anybody would like to make any/all the files available on an
ftp site somewhere, that's fine by me.

bevan