Bluetail

Mike Williams

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
Probably the bigest business deal as regards a functional language has
just be struck. Bluetail is a Swedish company which uses Erlang for
most of its software development. They have just be purchased by
Alteon for 1.4 Billion SEK - approx 100 Million GBP or 175 Million $.
Bluetail people attibute a lot of their ability to be able to produce
software very fast to their use of Erlang.

See; http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/quotes_news.asp?symbol=ATON%60&selected=ATON%60

/Mike

Luc Taesch

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Ralph Becket wrote:

> I agree completely, though, that declarative languages aren't going to
> sell based on the wonderful claims we academics make for them.

that require deep thinking from projects, which wall street is not paid to have
(faith, i mean)

> We're
> going to have to go out there and use them for profit.

which , then , may turn wall street to have a closer look to FP, as a faster way to
make money...deep pocket rather than deep thinking appoach...;-)

finally , these technology may emerge like that... (java hype was seen just a way
to make money over the internet, and not " a better "language...)

--
First, they ignore you.
Then, they laugh at you.

--- Gandhi.

Working code is what matter, not your market capitalization.
--Kurt granroth

Fergus Henderson

Aug 30, 2000, 10:21:54 PM8/30/00
mi...@erix.ericsson.se (Mike Williams) writes:

>Probably the bigest business deal as regards a functional language has
>just be struck. Bluetail is a Swedish company which uses Erlang for
>most of its software development. They have just be purchased by
>Alteon for 1.4 Billion SEK - approx 100 Million GBP or 175 Million $.
>Bluetail people attibute a lot of their ability to be able to produce
>software very fast to their use of Erlang.

The web site lists it as only about $152 million (US dollars, no doubt).

But for a company of only 25 employees, that was founded only 21
months ago, that is still a fantastic result -- well over $3 million
per employee per year! Congratulations!

--
Fergus Henderson <f...@cs.mu.oz.au> | "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh> | of excellence is a lethal habit"

Joe Armstrong

Aug 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/31/00
f...@cs.mu.oz.au (Fergus Henderson) writes:

> mi...@erix.ericsson.se (Mike Williams) writes:
>
> >Probably the bigest business deal as regards a functional language has
> >just be struck. Bluetail is a Swedish company which uses Erlang for
> >most of its software development. They have just be purchased by
> >Alteon for 1.4 Billion SEK - approx 100 Million GBP or 175 Million $.
> >Bluetail people attibute a lot of their ability to be able to produce
> >software very fast to their use of Erlang.
>
> The web site lists it as only about $152 million (US dollars, no doubt).
>
> But for a company of only 25 employees, that was founded only 21
> months ago, that is still a fantastic result -- well over $3 million
> per employee per year! Congratulations!

Thank you Fergus.

I think our experience effectively demonstrates that you can make
money from functional programming :-) The way to success is *not* to
sell FP products (i.e. compilers, tools for FP, consulting hours etc.)
but to program compelling products in your favorite FPL and sell these
products.

By using Erlang Bluetail has a significant commercial advantage
over it's competitors - they (our competitors) use "traditional"
languages (C, Java etc.) - so we get to the market place *first*.

The competitive advantage of FPLs is in terms of time to market,
fewer bugs etc. and *not* performance. The current performance of
FPLs is "adequate" for vast numbers of commercial products - not
blindingly fast but "good enough" - if performance is still a problem
and the product is good then you can always "throw hardware at it."

I would really like to be in competition with other companies that
use other weirdo languages (O'Caml, Mercury, Haskell) and see how the
lazy/eager static/dynamic type arguments work out in real
products.

Competing against Java/UML/Corba/.. just isn't fair - it's like
stealing sweeties from kids - easy, but no fun.

/Joe

--
Joe Armstrong,
Bluetail AB, tel: +46 8 692 22 11

Ralph Becket

Aug 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/31/00
In article <lwbsy92...@pippi.bluetail.com>,

Joe Armstrong <j...@bluetail.com> wrote:

> I would really like to be in competition with other companies that
>use other weirdo languages (O'Caml, Mercury, Haskell) and see how the
>lazy/eager static/dynamic type arguments work out in real
>products.

Mission Critical in Belgium is using Mercury to develop commercial
products.

I agree completely, though, that declarative languages aren't going to

sell based on the wonderful claims we academics make for them. We're

going to have to go out there and use them for profit.

Ralph
--
Ralph....@cl.cam.ac.uk http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rwab1

Torben AEgidius Mogensen

Aug 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/31/00
rw...@cl.cam.ac.uk (Ralph Becket) writes:

>In article <lwbsy92...@pippi.bluetail.com>,
>Joe Armstrong <j...@bluetail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would really like to be in competition with other companies that
>>use other weirdo languages (O'Caml, Mercury, Haskell) and see how the
>>lazy/eager static/dynamic type arguments work out in real
>>products.

>Mission Critical in Belgium is using Mercury to develop commercial
>products.

Another example is Prolog Development Center. Though they sell their
own Prolog variant (Visual Prolog), they get most of their earnings by
writing applications in this language.

>I agree completely, though, that declarative languages aren't going to
>sell based on the wonderful claims we academics make for them. We're
>going to have to go out there and use them for profit.

Indeed. This is a way of "putting your money where your mouth is" for
proponents of declarative languages, and a good answer to "if you are
so smart, how come you aren't rich". ;-)

Torben Mogensen (tor...@diku.dk)