Fortran Wiki

Jason Blevins

May 1, 2009, 9:53:06 PM5/1/09

I've started a Fortran wiki at http://fortranwiki.org/ and I want to
invite you all to browse around and contribute if you like.

I think a dedicated wiki could become a valuable resource for the
community. On one hand we have many fine books and web pages on
Fortran, and on the other hand we have comp.lang.fortran. A wiki is
somewhere in between: more interactive than a book but more structured
and organized than a newsgroup.

The wiki should be a community-driven site, so feel free to experiment
and don't feel constrained by what's already there. If you're
interested, the HowTo page has a lot of information about how to get
started.

My thoughts are that the wiki will be part encyclopedic, part
workshop/lab, and part discussional. I see it as a place to document
and work through things like design patterns and data structures, to
provide usage examples for specific libraries, and a place to toss
around new ideas and organize what we already know about Fortran.

Some features of particular interest (most of which are illustrated on
the SandBox page):

* Syntax highlighting for Fortran code (I wrote a Ruby extension
specifically for this).

* SVG (scalable vector graphics) support for resolution-independent
diagrams and figures.

* Math support: inline LaTeX is converted to MathML for viewing
(instead of images, like on Wikipedia, and without any Javascript,
but your browser must support MathML).

* Pages can be exported to LaTeX (and in turn, PDF) and the entire
wiki can be exported at once as either HTML or plain text.

* There is a complete intrinsic procedure reference with syntax
highlighted examples, courtesy of the GNU Fortran manual.

Any feedback is appreciated!

--
Jason Blevins
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Economics, Duke University

Franken Sense

May 2, 2009, 8:09:30 PM5/2/09
In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Jason Blevins Did Inscribe:

I'd like to see a list of useful fortran programs there like they have at
fortran.com.

MM did a lot of the updating with syntax atthe wiki, but I think the
fortran wiki lags behing that of clc for lack of organized code listings.
they have the advantage of being able to use K&R as a touchstone, but we
have to think of something that covers this yardage.

Is there even a faq? Well, I'll go see myself ....
--
Frank

In many ways I'm still a Hubert Humphrey Democrat -- someone who believes
in afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted. A society is
judged by how it treats the elderly, the sick, the impoverished. To me it's
a matter of ethics and compassion.
~~ Al Franken, Playboy interview

Luka Djigas

May 2, 2009, 11:45:18 PM5/2/09
On Sat, 2 May 2009 17:09:30 -0700, Franken Sense
<fr...@example.invalid> wrote:

>Is there even a faq? Well, I'll go see myself ....

There is a faq for c.l.f. (try the internet archive, or just google
it), but it is terribly outdated.

with regards,
Luka

Jason Blevins

May 3, 2009, 11:16:41 AM5/3/09

There is a 'Code' page on the wiki just for that, of course, with the
benefit that anyone who feels so inclined can add something.

There are (at least) two options for posting code. You can easily link
to code that is available elsewhere, with a short description, like
this:

* [convert.f90](ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MandR/convert.f90) -
converts [[FORTRAN 77]] source form to [[Fortran 90]] source form.

This does pretty much what it looks like: the asterisk makes a
list item and [text](url) makes a link. The double square
brackets are links to other pages on the wiki.

Alternatively, you can create a new wiki page containing the
code itself, which will colorize the keywords, types, comments,
etc. for easier reading. Just paste the code between lines of
tildes (with an optional lang attribute):

~~~~~ {: lang=fortran }
! insert code here
~~~~~

The number of tildes doesn't matter as long as there are at
least as many on the last line as are on the first. The lang
attribute is needed for syntax highlighting.

> MM did a lot of the updating with syntax atthe wiki, but I think the
> fortran wiki lags behing that of clc for lack of organized code listings.
> they have the advantage of being able to use K&R as a touchstone, but we
> have to think of something that covers this yardage.
>
> Is there even a faq? Well, I'll go see myself ....

There is a FAQ but I've only managed to put a few questions there
so far, mostly things that have been asked here in the last few days.
Some of the existing ones could use more thorough answers, and there
is plenty of room for adding more questions.

Arjen Markus

May 4, 2009, 5:19:44 AM5/4/09
On 2 mei, 03:53, Jason Blevins <jrble...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I've started a Fortran wiki athttp://fortranwiki.org/and I want to

I am trying to contribute to your Wiki (nice initiative btw), but I
have
been unable to do so - it seems my browser should allow JavaScript and
cookies.
I do not think they have been turned off, but I have not found the
right way
to turn these on (using Internet Explorer 7), probably me just being
ignorant.
I can not set your site in the list of trusted sites, though, as that
requires
https ....

Regards,

Arjen

Jason Blevins

May 4, 2009, 7:37:59 AM5/4/09

I'm terribly sorry for the trouble. Unfortunately the wiki does
require javascript and cookies to be turned on for anti-spam reasons,
to ensure that it's a human trying to edit the page rather than a
spambot.

I don't have access to IE at the moment, but I'll try to replicate
the problem today to see exactly what's going on. Meanwhile,
I found some instructions for enabling JS and cookies in IE7. I'll
contact you off-list and hopefully we can figure it out...

Arjen Markus

May 5, 2009, 3:21:41 AM5/5/09
On 4 mei, 13:37, Jason Blevins <jrble...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On May  4, 2009, at  5:19 AM, Arjen Markus wrote:
>

> > On 2 mei, 03:53, Jason Blevins <jrble...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> >> I've started a Fortran wiki athttp://fortranwiki.org/andI want to
> Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Economics, Duke Universityhttp://jblevins.org/- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I was able to edit the pages using Firefox under Linux, so as far as I
am concerned
I can begin to contribute to this Wiki.

Regards,

Arjen

Jason Blevins

May 5, 2009, 11:31:15 AM5/5/09

I've linked to it from the FAQ on the wiki. It would be nice to
eventually incorporate the relevant parts of the old FAQ into the
wiki, updating things as needed...

Jason Blevins

May 5, 2009, 11:42:19 AM5/5/09
On May 5, 2009, at 3:21 AM, Arjen Markus wrote:
> On 4 mei, 13:37, Jason Blevins <jrble...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

>> > I am trying to contribute to your Wiki (nice initiative btw), but I
>> > have
>> > been unable to do so - it seems my browser should allow JavaScript and
>> > cookies.
>> > I do not think they have been turned off, but I have not found the
>> > right way
>> > to turn these on (using Internet Explorer 7), probably me just being
>> > ignorant.
>> > I can not set your site in the list of trusted sites, though, as that
>> > requires
>> > https ....
>>
>> I'm terribly sorry for the trouble.  Unfortunately the wiki does
>> require javascript and cookies to be turned on for anti-spam reasons,
>> to ensure that it's a human trying to edit the page rather than a
>> spambot.
>>
>> I don't have access to IE at the moment, but I'll try to replicate
>> the problem today to see exactly what's going on.  Meanwhile,
>> I found some instructions for enabling JS and cookies in IE7.  I'll
>> contact you off-list and hopefully we can figure it out...
>
> I was able to edit the pages using Firefox under Linux, so as far as I
> am concerned
> I can begin to contribute to this Wiki.

I was able to recreate the IE7 issue independently. I'm contacting
the maintainer of the wiki software to try to get it resolved.

Until then, if you want to edit the wiki I would suggest using Firefox
or another browser (or, I can temporarily disable the form spam
protection---it's a new site, so it probably won't matter much at this
point).

You'll have a better viewing experience in Firefox anyway, since it
can render the equations natively (and SVG graphics, used for example
in the logo). Though, this isn't really an issue except for pages
with lots of math, for example:

http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Bessel+function

Beliavsky

May 5, 2009, 4:54:13 PM5/5/09
On May 1, 9:53 pm, Jason Blevins <jrble...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I've started a Fortran wiki athttp://fortranwiki.org/and I want to

> invite you all to browse around and contribute if you like.
>
> I think a dedicated wiki could become a valuable resource for the
> community.  On one hand we have many fine books and web pages on
> Fortran, and on the other hand we have comp.lang.fortran.  A wiki is
> somewhere in between: more interactive than a book but more structured
> and organized than a newsgroup.

The Fortran section of the Open Directory
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Fortran/ has more
than 800 links, organized by category.

Since I had the "cookie" problem and could not edit the wiki I will
mention some links to add here:

Fortran 2003 book:
Fortran 95/2003 by Chapman http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073191574/

compilers:
Lahey http://www.lahey.com
SUN http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/

dialects:
ELF90 http://www.lahey.com/elfpage.htm

An embryonic Fortran FAQ is at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fortran_FAQ
.

Jason Blevins

May 5, 2009, 5:32:42 PM5/5/09
On May 5, 2009, at 4:54 PM, beli...@aol.com wrote:
> On May 1, 9:53 pm, Jason Blevins <jrble...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>> I've started a Fortran wiki athttp://fortranwiki.org/and I want to
>> invite you all to browse around and contribute if you like.
>>
>> I think a dedicated wiki could become a valuable resource for the
>> community.  On one hand we have many fine books and web pages on
>> Fortran, and on the other hand we have comp.lang.fortran.  A wiki is
>> somewhere in between: more interactive than a book but more structured
>> and organized than a newsgroup.
>
> The Fortran section of the Open Directory
> http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Fortran/ has more
> than 800 links, organized by category.

Yes, dmoz has an excellent collection of links. I don't really see the
wiki as a substitute for sites like dmoz though (or other good resources
like fortranlib.com and fortran.com). While I think there is plenty of
room for links on the wiki, the main goal (in my opinion) is to collect
new _content_ in a variety of forms: example code, common patterns (and
corresponding Fortran implementations), history, discussions,
documentation of language features, tutorials, etc.

> Since I had the "cookie" problem and could not edit the wiki I will
> mention some links to add here:
>

> [snip]

I'm sorry about that...this IE7 issue is troubling. I decided to just
disable the Javascript portion of the spam protection for now (although
there is still a phrase blacklist in place to prevent obvious spam) so
you should be able to edit freely from now on.

And thanks for the links--I'll go ahead and add them.

Michael Murphy

May 6, 2009, 8:26:11 AM5/6/09

I like it! I would have liked one of these things when I was starting
out with Fortran.

I've added one of my libraries that I like to use for easier input and
ouput in Fortran. Maybe it will grow in complexity over time, but for
now it's quite simplistic. Maybe it will be useful to someone in any
case. I accidentally created the page without my name, so it would be
great if you could correct this...

Jason Blevins

May 6, 2009, 11:33:37 AM5/6/09
On May 6, 2009, at 8:26 AM, Michael Murphy wrote:
> Jason Blevins wrote:
>> I've started a Fortran wiki at http://fortranwiki.org/ and I want to
>> invite you all to browse around and contribute if you like.
>> [snip]

> I like it! I would have liked one of these things when I was starting
> out with Fortran.
>
> I've added one of my libraries that I like to use for easier input and
> ouput in Fortran. Maybe it will grow in complexity over time, but for
> now it's quite simplistic. Maybe it will be useful to someone in any
> case.

Looks great! I linked to it from the Code page.

I also like your idea of inviting improvements to the code. So,
basically, we can do collaborative code review with built in revision
control.

> I accidentally created the page without my name, so it would be
> great if you could correct this...

Done.

paul.rich...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 5:26:46 AM5/7/09
On May 6, 5:33 pm, Jason Blevins <jrble...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On May  6, 2009, at  8:26 AM, Michael Murphy wrote:
>
> > Jason Blevins wrote:
> >> I've started a Fortran wiki athttp://fortranwiki.org/and I want to

> >> invite you all to browse around and contribute if you like.
> >> [snip]
> > I like it! I would have liked one of these things when I was starting
> > out with Fortran.
>
> > I've added one of my libraries that I like to use for easier input and
> > ouput in Fortran. Maybe it will grow in complexity over time, but for
> > now it's quite simplistic. Maybe it will be useful to someone in any
> > case.
>
> Looks great!  I linked to it from the Code page.
>
> I also like your idea of inviting improvements to the code.  So,
> basically, we can do collaborative code review with built in revision
> control.
>
> > I accidentally created the page without my name, so it would be
> > great if you could correct this...
>
> Done.

You might like to link to the gfortran wiki: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran

Although this is intended to be devoted to development of gfortran, we
also have links to binaries, useful fortran material and so on.

Good luck

Paul

fj

May 7, 2009, 7:36:43 AM5/7/09
I have added a page on debugging tools. This is just a draft which
will have to be completed by every body. I hope it will suit you ...
else feel free to delete it !

Jason Blevins

May 7, 2009, 10:01:15 AM5/7/09
On May 7, 2009, at 7:36 AM, fj wrote:
> I have added a page on debugging tools. This is just a draft which
> will have to be completed by every body.

That's very useful, thanks!

> I hope it will suit you ...
> else feel free to delete it !

I see my role as simply user plus sysadmin, not an editor (except to the
extent that everyone is an editor), so I certainly would never delete
legitimate content :)

Jason

Louis Krupp

May 8, 2009, 12:40:02 AM5/8/09
Michael Murphy wrote:

> I've added one of my libraries that I like to use for easier input and
> ouput in Fortran. Maybe it will grow in complexity over time, but for
> now it's quite simplistic.

Whenever you're tempted to use "simplistic" as a fancy synonym for
"simple," you might want to see this page:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/simplistic.html

Louis

Jason Blevins

May 8, 2009, 6:40:55 PM5/8/09

I finally figured out the Javascript incompatibility with Internet
Explorer. The site has been patched and I've submitted a patch to the
maintainer of the wiki software. Now we have good spam protection and
IE users should be able to edit the wiki with no problems.