Looking for a good Fortran 90/95 text for beginners

yai...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2007, 11:14:36 AM1/14/07
Free if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Yair

Lane Straatman

Jan 14, 2007, 7:33:06 PM1/14/07

<yai...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1168791276.1...@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

> Free if possible.
>
> Thanks for any help.
I can't imagine that a guy is going to write a book on Fortran, get it
published and printed and then ask for a price of zero. If there's college
library nearby that does book exchanges, it might be a good way to go.
Silverfrost gives away an IDE that is great for a hobbyist. LS

Gary Scott

Jan 14, 2007, 9:48:54 PM1/14/07
Lane Straatman wrote:

There are some Free FORTRAN 77 books on the net:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/support/cit/fortran/f77book.html

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott@sbcglobal dot net

***** 5 Jan: Back from 7 days in Cozumel! *****

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford

jwm

Jan 15, 2007, 12:23:52 AM1/15/07

Mark Westwood

Jan 15, 2007, 8:23:07 AM1/15/07
Yar

Steal a copy of Fortran 90 Programming by Ellis, Philips and Lahey, or,
if your commitment to freedom of information doesn't extend to theft,
Google around, you'll find useful sites like this:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/HPC/F90page.html

Ignore all advice to learn FORTRAN77 from free sources.

Regards

Mark

Gary Scott

Jan 15, 2007, 8:39:31 AM1/15/07
Mark Westwood wrote:

> Yar
>
> Steal a copy of Fortran 90 Programming by Ellis, Philips and Lahey, or,
> if your commitment to freedom of information doesn't extend to theft,
> Google around, you'll find useful sites like this:
>
> http://www.liv.ac.uk/HPC/F90page.html
>
> Ignore all advice to learn FORTRAN77 from free sources.

Since FORTRAN 77 is a subset and everything save for one or two things
is in Fortran 90, it is a useful source of information. I would
advocate a modern style, modern features, etc., but he asked for a free
book and that's the only one I'm aware of.

> Regards
>
> Mark
>

> yai...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>Free if possible.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>Yair

Beliavsky

Jan 15, 2007, 8:48:38 AM1/15/07
jwm wrote:
> I guess these two links might help:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/fortran/unfp.html

This covers Fortran 77, not Fortran 90/95 as the OP requested.

> http://math.scu.edu/~dsmolars/ma169/notesfortran.html

Links to many Fortran 90/95 tutorials are at the Open Directory at
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Fortran/Tutorials/Fortran_90_and_95/
,

and I would start with Fortran Language Features (primarily by Michael
Metcalf)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran_language_features

yai...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2007, 12:00:55 PM1/15/07
Thank you all for the useful info.

Yair

Lane Straatman

Jan 15, 2007, 1:59:51 PM1/15/07

> Thank you all for the useful info.
I've spent hours looking at those links. I'm glad you asked the question.
LS

Greg Lindahl

Jan 15, 2007, 4:46:37 PM1/15/07
In article <1168867387.7...@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Mark Westwood <markc.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ignore all advice to learn FORTRAN77 from free sources.

Circle the wagons! Aim in! Shoot!

-- g

robin

Jan 17, 2007, 6:34:45 PM1/17/07
"Gary Scott" <garyl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Lane Straatman wrote:

> There are some Free FORTRAN 77 books on the net:

He didn't ask for that (see title).
Besides, F77 is obsolete, and suggesting that
it is now satisfactory to use that is not good advice,
nor is it an appropriate learning experience.

Tunjang

Jan 19, 2007, 1:46:42 PM1/19/07
Wow...very nice links...GREAT!!...now i can learn more bout my run-time
error the...and minimize it...thanks