need suggestions on Fortran editor in Linux

jun wen

Feb 8, 2008, 10:43:43 PM2/8/08
Hi, all

I just started learning to write Fortran codes in Linux. Before I used
the Compaq visual Fortran, which seems to be a nice editor. But now I
have to use the SSH to login into the server and it seems to be
totally different from the GUI-based editor in Windows. So I badly
need some advice on a good editor to speed up the writing the code and
debugging.

Thank you.

Andy

Steven G. Kargl

Feb 8, 2008, 11:00:06 PM2/8/08
In article <ffe89469-4ed0-403e...@m34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

If you have X11 forwarding working with sshd and
you can display X11 apps locally, then I's suggest
using nedit. Note, nedit is an editor not an IDE.
For an IDE, some will recommend photran

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Gerry Ford

Feb 9, 2008, 12:45:29 AM2/9/08

"jun wen" <jwen...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You're a strange customer, anders. Can you give an example of what you have
just learned?

Where do you study?

cordially,

--
Gerry Ford

"The apple was really a peach."
-- Allison Dunn on the garden of eden

david.b...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2008, 10:09:37 PM2/9/08

Andy,

I would recommend you try jEdit http://www.jedit.org/index.php. I use
it in a Windows environment but because it is Java based it will work
any where, (Mac, Linux) even from a USB. If you decide to try it out,
I can suggest some plug-ins etc, that will make it into a FORTRAN IDE,
and I can send you a Commando file for compiling with G95, ans some
velocity templates for generating Fortran code. Its Open Source.

Wikipedia states:

jEdit is written in Java and runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS, and
Windows.

jEdit development was started in 1998.

The founding author was Slava Pestov, who has since left the project,
handing development to the open source community.

Features

jEdit includes Syntax highlighting that provides native support for
over 130 file formats. Support for additional formats can be added
manually using XML files. It supports UTF-8 and many other encodings.

The application is highly customizable and can be extended with macros
written in BeanShell, Jython, JavaScript and some other scripting
languages.

Plug-ins

There are over 150 available jEdit plug-ins for many different
application areas.

Plug-ins are used to customize the application for individual use and
can make it into an advanced XML/HTML editor, or an integrated
development environment (IDE), with compiler, code completion, context-
sensitive help, debugging, visual differentiation and language-
specific tools.

The plug-ins are downloaded via an integrated plug-in manager which
finds and installs them and their associated updates automatically.
[2]

Some available plug-ins include:

* Spell checker using Aspell
* Text auto-complete
* Accents plugin that converts character abbreviations for
accented characters as they are typed.
* XML plugin that is used for editing XML, HTML, JavaScript and
CSS files. In the case of XML, the plug-in does validation. For XML,
HTML and CSS, it uses auto-completion popups for elements, attributes
and entities.[3]

Gary Scott

Feb 9, 2008, 11:16:13 PM2/9/08
david.b...@gmail.com wrote:

It might be interesting to some that GINO has nearly all the features
necessary to write a fairly sophisticated editor as well, including
support for syntax highlighting and word selection/hover callbacks (if
you wanted to write it entirely in Fortran).

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott@sbcglobal dot net

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Feb 10, 2008, 9:15:49 AM2/10/08
jun wen wrote:

I use vim (only for writing and not for debugging).

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Ian

Feb 10, 2008, 10:25:15 AM2/10/08
we have a resource file at

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/support/cit/fortran/pdfs/fortran_resources.pdf

that you may find useful. there is a section/chapter on fortran aware
editors and ides.

it will get an update shortly, but should give tome idea
of what is available.

hope this helps

ian chivers

Sebastian Hanigk

Feb 10, 2008, 2:14:58 PM2/10/08
jun wen <jwen...@gmail.com> writes:

Regarding writing of code, Emacs has good support for Fortran (and
FORTRAN, of course ;-) ), but Emacs can seem a bit strange if you've
never used it; some people like nedit.

The integration of a debugger has been mostly a minor feature for me
(usually I'm doing PRINT-debugging ...) so I cannot say much on this
topic, but usually the compiler gives good hints what's going wrong for
compile time errors and some compilers support things like array bounds
checking (g95 or gfortran) and the like.

Sebastian

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Feb 10, 2008, 3:41:24 PM2/10/08
Sebastian,

I use vim, it high lights key words in different colours.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit

hes selex

Feb 11, 2008, 12:19:31 AM2/11/08
I use vim+ctags .

Sebastian Hanigk

Feb 11, 2008, 3:53:43 AM2/11/08
Jan Gerrit Kootstra <jan.g...@kootstra.org.uk> writes:

> I use vim, it high lights key words in different colours.

To paraphrase: vi(m) has two modes, one beeps, the other one renders my
files unusable.

To each his own ;-)

Sebastian

twlaub

Feb 11, 2008, 2:19:06 PM2/11/08

Recently a new fortran editor written in Tcl was posted. I have
downloaded and tried it on both windows and linux. It seems quite
nice. See http://pagesperso-orange.fr/yapakit.fortran/index.html

Tom

Craig Powers

Feb 11, 2008, 8:25:27 PM2/11/08

Emacs is a fine editor. In fact, I prefer it to the built-in editor in
Windows in terms of how it handles indentation and the ability to
automatically upcase reserved words.

I don't think you'll find anything that measures up to the Visual Studio
debugger, though.

relaxmike

Feb 12, 2008, 6:57:58 AM2/12/08
Hi Jun,

From all available fortran editors, not all are available both on
Windows
and on Linux. As you said, Visual Fortran works fine under windows,
but when
you have to use Linux, another choice is to be made.

The following are the editors that I know which you can use both
under
Windows and under Linux.
- Eclipse / Photran (http://www.eclipse.org/photran)
- Jedit (http://www.jedit.org)
- Understand for Fortran (http://www.scitools.com)
- Yapakit (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/yapakit.fortran)
- Emacs or Xemacs (http://www.xemacs.org)
- Absoft IDE (http://www.absoft.com/Absoft_IDE.htm)
- Vi, Gvim
- Nedit (http://nl.nedit.org)

But be aware that there is a huge gap between a fortran-aware editor
(Jedit, Emacs, Xemacs, Vi, Gvim, Nedit) and a fortran development
tool
(Eclipse/Photran, Understand for Fortran, Yapakit, Absoft IDE).
Fortran
editors only provide syntax highlighting and so on, which is short if
you have to manage a large fortran project. Fortran development tools
allows to navigate into the source, manage Makefiles, manage CVS/SNV,
debug, etc... The later tools increase the productivity and make the
development process more easy (and fun sometime !). The reason why
there
is less real fortran development tools is that including syntax-
highliting, templates, etc... is very easy while developing a tool to
navigate into the source, handle dependencies, etc is far more
complicated but really useful in practical situations (in particular,
in forces to develop a fortran parser and to manage the hierarchical
links between subroutines, functions, modules,etc...).

For example, Yapakit provides a tool to know all subroutines which
call a given subroutine (hierarchical call) or all fortran 90 modules
used by a given module. With simple fortran editors (Emacs for
example),
this task is accomplished with a combination of "grep" and "find"
Linux commands, sometimes
piped, which works, but is more complicated and slower. Understand for
fortran includes
a tool to display all variables used in the project (and where they
are used).
Absoft IDE allows to manage Makefiles. Eclipse integrates a SVN plugin
which
allow to update your files from a repository.

Emacs / Xemacs is special in the category of editors because it
includes
the Etags system which allows to navigate into the source and supports
Makefiles
compiling (but does not generate them). But the graphical library used
in Emacs / Xemacs is now obsolete (that is to say limited) compared
what Java offers to Eclipse for example (the development of Emacs
started long
before Java existed of course !).

Notice also that not all these tools are free.
If you want to have a real development tool, free and portable, there
is very
few possibilities indeed and the list becomes shorter.
Understand for fortran, Absoft IDE are not free
while Eclipse, Jedit, Yapakit, Emacs, Xemacs, vi, gvim are free.

Visual Fortran integrates an interactive debugger which is very
convenient.
Considering the available debuggers available under Linux,
there are two layers of debuggers : command-line and GUI.
The command-line debugger gdb is powerful (and free !) but lacks of a
GUI.
The following are GUI debuggers for fortran :
- Totalview (http://www.totalviewtech.com/index.htm)
- DDT (http://www.allinea.com/)
- Eclipse includes a front-end for gdb
- Insight (http://sourceware.org/insight)
Totalview and DDT can handle parallel debug, but are not free.
To my knowledge, Insight is released in source form so that you have
compile it by yourself.
The Eclipse front-end for gdb is useful, but gdb lacks of support
for fortran 90, so that you cannot explore derived-types (which is a
real
pain in fact).

I hope that it will help you to make your choice.

Best regards,

Michaël

ajmf77

Feb 12, 2008, 7:42:11 AM2/12/08

Hi:
Another good editor (for Win32/Linux) is Scite (www.scite.org), with
Fortran and many others language extensions. His config file are
preconfigured with LF95, but you can change it easily

ajmf77

Feb 13, 2008, 10:10:35 AM2/13/08

Sorry, SciTe site actually is : www.scintilla.org, home of the
scintilla lib for GTK+