ANN: 3rd Edition of Forth Programmer's Handbook

Elizabeth D Rather

Oct 2, 2007, 4:38:53 PM10/2/07
The new, 3rd edition of the Forth Programmer's Handbook has been
released by FORTH, Inc. The book has been extensively revised and
updated to reflect current programming styles and usage. Nearly 50
pages have been added, including enhanced descriptions of many features
and new topics such as Forth cross compilers. This edition covers nearly
400 ANS Forth words and common extensions.

The Forth Programmer's Handbook was written by two founders of FORTH,
Inc. for readers with a programming background but not necessarily prior
experience with Forth. Offering comprehensive coverage of all major
aspects of the Forth language -- from basic principles to advanced
concepts -- the Handbook has become the de facto Forth reference manual
for Forth programmers everywhere.

Equally good news: FORTH, Inc. has been able to drop the book's price to
just $39. The 3rd edition is available now at http://www.forth.com and
Amazon. (But note: use the Amazon link at the FORTH, Inc. web site to
help FORTH get the most credit for keeping this valuable reference not
only in print, but better than ever!). Softcover only.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth D. Rather (US & Canada) 800-55-FORTH
FORTH Inc. +1 310-491-3356
5155 W. Rosecrans Ave. #1018 Fax: +1 310-978-9454
Hawthorne, CA 90250
http://www.forth.com

applications since 1973."

Andreas Klimas

Oct 2, 2007, 6:34:09 PM10/2/07
Elizabeth D Rather schrieb:

> The new, 3rd edition of the Forth Programmer's Handbook has been
> released by FORTH, Inc. The book has been extensively revised and
> updated to reflect current programming styles and usage. Nearly 50
> pages have been added, including enhanced descriptions of many features
> and new topics such as Forth cross compilers. This edition covers nearly
> 400 ANS Forth words and common extensions.

the older release I bought some years bevore always
was a greate source of information to me. well and
clear written - a little bit dirty now, so the right
moment to replace my old copy. I'm curios about the
changes.

best wishes
Andreas Klimas

sl...@jedit.org

Oct 2, 2007, 7:22:21 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 4:38 pm, Elizabeth D Rather <erather...@forth.com> wrote:
> The new, 3rd edition of the Forth Programmer's Handbook has been
> released by FORTH, Inc. The book has been extensively revised and
> updated to reflect current programming styles and usage. Nearly 50
> pages have been added, including enhanced descriptions of many features
> and new topics such as Forth cross compilers. This edition covers nearly
> 400 ANS Forth words and common extensions.

Congratulations. I just ordered my copy.

Slava

hel...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 7:32:46 PM10/2/07

Elizabeth D Rather wrote:

> Equally good news: FORTH, Inc. has been able to drop the book's price to
> just $39.

How many pages? I'd order a PDF-version if available. Documents in
paper are something that is not suitable for more than reading on
unusual places or for buying a fetish. Paper-bound publications are
doomed to be unread in future. You can be sure I know what I'm talking
about ;)

Regards and congratulations to your new book,
-Helmar

inv...@example.com

Oct 16, 2007, 2:38:58 PM10/16/07

Elizabeth D Rather wrote:

>The new, 3rd edition of the Forth Programmer's Handbook has been
>released by FORTH, Inc. The book has been extensively revised and
>updated to reflect current programming styles and usage. Nearly 50
>pages have been added, including enhanced descriptions of many features
>and new topics such as Forth cross compilers. This edition covers nearly
>400 ANS Forth words and common extensions.
>
>The Forth Programmer's Handbook was written by two founders of FORTH,
>Inc. for readers with a programming background but not necessarily prior
>experience with Forth. Offering comprehensive coverage of all major
>aspects of the Forth language -- from basic principles to advanced
>concepts -- the Handbook has become the de facto Forth reference manual
>for Forth programmers everywhere.
>
>Equally good news: FORTH, Inc. has been able to drop the book's price to
>just $39. The 3rd edition is available now at http://www.forth.com and
>Amazon. (But note: use the Amazon link at the FORTH, Inc. web site to
>help FORTH get the most credit for keeping this valuable reference not
>only in print, but better than ever!). Softcover only.

Does it include some sort of Forth (defeatured or limited is OK) so
that the student who knows nothing about the language can write code
and see how it works? If not, how much would a suitable Forth cost?

Elizabeth D Rather

Oct 16, 2007, 4:14:51 PM10/16/07

FORTH, Inc. offers a free evaluation copy of our (Windows-based)
SwiftForth, which is a great system for learning (as it's very easy to
use and well documented, in addition to the Handbook). It's limited
only in that you can't make a turnkeyed program for distribution, and
lacks the full system source which is included with purchased versions.
If you need a non-Windows version, I recommend gForth. But any ANS
Forth system will work fine with this book.

For more information, see our web site, www.forth.com.