EuroForth 2008 proceedings and photos available

Anton Ertl

Oct 2, 2008, 4:47:12 PM10/2/08
You can find the proceedings, individual papers, slides, and the
BibTeX file on
<http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/euroforth/ef08/papers/>.

You can find Photos on
<http://www.forth-ev.de/gallery/euroforth-2008>. We expect more
photos to become available as other participants submit them.

Other EuroForth information can be found through the EuroForth home
page: <http://www.euroforth.org/>.

EuroForth 2009 will be held in Great Britain, but details are still
undecided.

- anton

Alex McDonald

Oct 3, 2008, 3:25:44 PM10/3/08
On Oct 2, 9:47 pm, an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
wrote:

> EuroForth 2009 will be held in Great Britain, but details are still
> undecided.

Edinburgh? Please?

--
Alex McDonald

Anton Ertl

Oct 3, 2008, 3:33:14 PM10/3/08
Alex McDonald <bl...@rivadpm.com> writes:
>On Oct 2, 9:47=A0pm, an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)

>wrote:
>

>> EuroForth 2009 will be held in Great Britain, but details are still
>> undecided.
>>

>Edinburgh? Please?

Is this an offer to organize EuroForth in Edinburgh (maybe in 2012)?

Currently the most likely places are Exeter or (somewhere near)
Teesside.

Alex McDonald

Oct 3, 2008, 4:00:36 PM10/3/08
On Oct 3, 8:33 pm, an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
wrote:

My, will I even be here in 2012! However, yes, I would be willing to
organise something given enough notice (6 months?) and assuming that I
am still in near proximity. In fact, I'd be honoured to do so.

On a related subject, Stephen Pelc's paper has a few small typos in
it; corrections in [ ]

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/euroforth/ef08/papers/pelc.pdf
page 3

The Forth community has long talked about TOS (top of data stack), NOS
(next/second on
data stack) and TOS [TOR] (top or [of] return stack). These are not
quite enough for DSP operations an [and]
Chuck Moore's current silicon includes A and B registers which are
used both as index
registers and for scratch storage.

--
Regards
Alex McDonald

Bernd Paysan

Oct 3, 2008, 5:13:41 PM10/3/08
Alex McDonald wrote:
> My, will I even be here in 2012! However, yes, I would be willing to
> organise something given enough notice (6 months?) and assuming that I
> am still in near proximity. In fact, I'd be honoured to do so.

To be honest, when I'm getting the choice between Edinburgh and Teeside or
Exeter, I'd rather to go to Edinburgh (which is a lot more interesting ;-).
In 2009, of course. The only advantage I see for me personally is that
Exeter has a cheap direct flight connection to Munich, but Edinburgh
doesn't (neither does Teesside).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

Gerry

Oct 4, 2008, 1:15:15 PM10/4/08
On 2 Oct, 21:47, an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) wrote:
> You can find the proceedings, individual papers, slides, and the
> BibTeX file on
> <http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/euroforth/ef08/papers/>.
>
> You can find Photos on
> <http://www.forth-ev.de/gallery/euroforth-2008>. We expect more
> photos to become available as other participants submit them.

It would be nice if someone could put some names to go with the faces
on one of the group photos

Gerry

Anton Ertl

Oct 4, 2008, 2:06:13 PM10/4/08
Gerry <ge...@jackson9000.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
>It would be nice if someone could put some names to go with the faces
>on one of the group photos

You'll have to come to the next EuroForth to find that out. Given
your email address, I guess you won't have to travel as far as I
do:-). Just kidding.

On <http://www.forth-ev.de/gallery/ef08-anton/r1072638p?full=1> from
left to right:

Stephen Pelc (presenting), Willi Stricker, Bill Stoddart, Federico de
Ceballos, Andrew Haley, Jaanus Pöial, Willem Botha, Nick Nelson,
Bernd Paysan, David Gregg, Leon Wagner, Peter Knaggs (closest to the
camera), Ulrich Hoffmann (right behind him), Tim Curtis, Jakob
Sievers, Gerald Wodni.

On <http://www.forth-ev.de/gallery/ef08-anton/r1072653?full=1>: From
left to right: Front line (kneeling or so): Andrew Haley, Bill
Stoddart, Anton Ertl. Main line: Janet Nelson, Federico de Ceballos,
Stephen Pelc, Willem Botha, Nick Nelson, Peterk Knaggs, Ulrich
Hoffman, Willi Stricker, Jaanus Pöial, David Gregg, Jakob Sievers,
Gerald Wodni. Rear: Bernd Paysan, Minou Stoddart (mostly hidden
behind Willi Stricker).

MarkWills

Oct 5, 2008, 5:28:51 PM10/5/08
On Oct 2, 9:47 pm, an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
wrote:

GREAT!!! UK!!! Woohoo! I'll be there!

I note that another reader has already offered to organise something
in Edinburgh - that's great for me.

IF for any reason it's not possible to organise anything in Edinburgh
please let know. I publicly offer to organise a meeting either in
Aberdeen (North East Scotland) or Shropshire (in the Midlands, near
Birmingham in England).

I'm a Forth 'newbie'. I recently 'discovered' the language after
spending the last 20 years trashing the language to anyone that would
that listen as a bunch of un-readable crap.

I recently started reading up on the language and when I finally
understood what was going on I had a *massive* 'OH I GET IT' moment.

I've been pretty much hooked ever since and am now a Forth
Evangelicalist!

I love the book by Stephen Pelc. The guy is a genius!

Mark

Gerry

Oct 6, 2008, 1:46:35 PM10/6/08

"Anton Ertl" <an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message

> Gerry <ge...@jackson9000.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
>>It would be nice if someone could put some names to go with the faces
>>on one of the group photos
>
> You'll have to come to the next EuroForth to find that out.

I might just do that, but Edinburgh is a long way away.

>Given
> your email address, I guess you won't have to travel as far as I
> do:-). Just kidding.
>
> On <http://www.forth-ev.de/gallery/ef08-anton/r1072638p?full=1> from
> left to right:
>
> Stephen Pelc (presenting), Willi Stricker, Bill Stoddart, Federico de
> Ceballos, Andrew Haley, Jaanus Pöial, Willem Botha, Nick Nelson,
> Bernd Paysan, David Gregg, Leon Wagner, Peter Knaggs (closest to the
> camera), Ulrich Hoffmann (right behind him), Tim Curtis, Jakob
> Sievers, Gerald Wodni.
>
> On <http://www.forth-ev.de/gallery/ef08-anton/r1072653?full=1>: From
> left to right: Front line (kneeling or so): Andrew Haley, Bill
> Stoddart, Anton Ertl. Main line: Janet Nelson, Federico de Ceballos,
> Stephen Pelc, Willem Botha, Nick Nelson, Peterk Knaggs, Ulrich
> Hoffman, Willi Stricker, Jaanus Pöial, David Gregg, Jakob Sievers,
> Gerald Wodni. Rear: Bernd Paysan, Minou Stoddart (mostly hidden
> behind Willi Stricker).

Many thanks for that.
Gerry

Alex McDonald

Oct 6, 2008, 2:35:47 PM10/6/08

Cheap flights are becoming increasingly rare. By 3012, we will all be
travelling by pony and trap. Perhaps we could organise a web-based
conference instead.

--
Regards
Alex McDonald

Jason Damisch

Oct 9, 2008, 4:11:03 AM10/9/08

> Cheap flights are becoming increasingly rare. By 3012, we will all be
> travelling by pony and trap. Perhaps we could organise a web-based
> conference instead.

well, we could devise sit down bicycles with flywheels lubricated with
oil from industrial hemp but who will maintain the roads?

Maybe by then we will have solar power sats up and then we can take
the superconducting train. I wonder where Forth wil be by then?

Jason

Brad Eckert

Oct 9, 2008, 12:57:07 PM10/9/08
On Oct 9, 1:11 am, Jason Damisch <jasondami...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wonder where Forth will be by then?

The ancients must have wondered the same thing about their cave
paintings. I think as long as there are machines there will be Forth.

-Brad

Ed

Oct 11, 2008, 10:12:36 AM10/11/08

Isn't that like religions claiming they will always be around :)

If history is any guide, tomorrow's problems will be so different to
today's that the next generation will need new tools to solve them.

Andrew Haley

Oct 11, 2008, 11:07:44 AM10/11/08

When it comes to computers, IMO history tells us exactly the opposite.
If you read The Preparation of Programs for an Electronic Digital
Computer by Wilkes, Wheeler and Gill you'll find a computer
architecture that is virtually identical to those people use today,
along with some *very* familiar-looking assembly language! Or try the
LISP 1.5 manual, still in print. The last really big advance was
probably SIMULA 67.

Of course computers are smaller and faster, but that's about it: the
remarkable thing about the way we program computers or so is how
little it has changed over the last 60 years, not how much.

Andrew.