Is Visual Objects a 32/64 bits compiler ?

CCH

Mar 1, 2009, 11:41:45 PM3/1/09
Hi

Is Visual Objects a 32/64 bits compiler ?

CCH
http://cch4clipper.blogspot.com

Stephen Quinn

Mar 2, 2009, 12:09:05 AM3/2/09
> Is Visual Objects a 32/64 bits compiler ?
32

CCH

Mar 2, 2009, 1:29:51 AM3/2/09
Hi Stephen

Tx for the speedy response !

Have Grafx announced any plan for a 64-bits version ?

On Mar 2, 1:09 pm, "Stephen Quinn" <stevej...@bigpondSPAM.net.au>
wrote:

> > Is Visual Objects a 32/64 bits compiler ?
>
> 32

CCH
http://cch4clipper.blogspot.com

Terry Bourne

Mar 2, 2009, 4:35:10 AM3/2/09
I'd be interseted in response to this. And why you want 64-Bit.
Don't forget that in many cases 32-bit apps can in fact run faster than 64.

Terry

"CCH" <ChongH...@gmail.com> wrote in message

CCH

Mar 2, 2009, 4:48:55 AM3/2/09
Hi Terry

Just out of curiosity and to get my facts right as xHarbour, Harbour &
Xbase++ are supposedly 32/64 bits Clipper-compatible compilers :-)

CCH
Clipper... Clipper... Clipper
http://cch4clipper.blogspot.com

On Mar 2, 5:35 pm, "Terry Bourne" <te.bou...@ringwayinfosys.co.uk>
wrote:

> I'd be interseted in response to this. And why you want 64-Bit.
> Don't forget that in many cases 32-bit apps can in fact run faster than 64.
>
> Terry

Marc Verkade [Marti IT]

Mar 2, 2009, 6:43:59 AM3/2/09
Vulcan / VO.Net is .Net so also 64...

--
Grtz, Marc

"CCH" <ChongH...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

Herbert Putz

Mar 2, 2009, 7:27:02 AM3/2/09
Marc,

Am Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:43:59 +0100 schrieb Marc Verkade [Marti IT]:

> Vulcan / VO.Net is .Net so also 64...

PMFJI - not really!
from the vulcan-wiki: "Compile your code as a 32-bit only .NET application
or class library. This is important if your application is going to run on
a 64-bit operating system!!! The Vulcan.NET macro compiler is a mixed-mode
class library that contains a combination of .NET and 32-bit native code.
It will not run in a native 64-bit process, it must run in 32-bit emulation
mode on a 64-bit operating system."

Bye
Herbert

Brian

Mar 2, 2009, 10:27:00 AM3/2/09
CCH,

>>Have Grafx announced any plan for a 64-bits version ?

None. No 64 bit version of VO will be forth coming.

Most of our development efforts are focused on Vulcan.Net, and VO
maintenance.

Vulcan.NET, which is an xBase compiler for .NET based on the
"Visual Objects language".

Vulcan.NET produces a .NET exe or .dll. Supports all MS Frameworks. It uses
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 as an IDE. An alternative IDE has also
been written in Vulcan.NET called VIDE and a trial version is also available
for download at the website.

Simply put Vulcan.NET _IS_ xBase for the future.

More info at and free Trial Version at....
http://www.GoVulcan.NET

A good place to start is to download our 150 page getting started guide:
http://www.govulcan.net/portal/GettingStarted/tabid/59/Default.aspx

Brian Feldman
GrafX Software http://www.Grafxsoft.com

Product Owner Visual Objects
Product Owner Vulcan.NET

Marc Verkade [Marti IT]

Mar 2, 2009, 1:51:56 PM3/2/09
Ehhh... Do not get to technical with me...
Probably you are right, but I guess that the step forward will be easier for
Vulcan than for VO..

--
Grtz, Marc

"Herbert Putz" <just...@eurogis.de> schreef in bericht

CCH

Mar 2, 2009, 7:10:46 PM3/2/09
Hi Brian

Thank you for responding !

On Mar 2, 11:27 pm, "Brian" <b®ian@g®afxsoft.com> wrote:
> CCH,
>
> >>Have Grafx announced any plan for a 64-bits version ?
>
> None. No 64 bit version of VO will be forth coming.

CCH: Congratulations, any time-line ?

> Most of our development efforts are focused on Vulcan.Net, and VO
> maintenance.

CCH: Noted

> Vulcan.NET, which is an xBase compiler for .NET based on the
> "Visual Objects language".

CCH: Yes, for web-based development, this is the way to go. Even
Codegear has it's Delphi-based Delphi Prism.

> Vulcan.NET produces a .NET exe or .dll. Supports all MS Frameworks.  It uses
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 as an IDE.  An alternative IDE has also
> been written in Vulcan.NET called VIDE and a trial version is also available
> for download at the website.
>
> Simply put Vulcan.NET _IS_ xBase for the future.

CCH: I'll check it out when I find some time. BTW, how far away as a
language has VO gone from Clipper.
The last time , I took a look at it was in 1995 :-)

> More info at and free Trial Version at....http://www.GoVulcan.NET

> A good place to start is to download our 150 page getting started guide:http://www.govulcan.net/portal/GettingStarted/tabid/59/Default.aspx
>
> Brian Feldman

> GrafX Softwarehttp://www.Grafxsoft.com

E®!k \\/!sser

Mar 3, 2009, 8:23:31 AM3/3/09
> Vulcan.NET produces a .NET exe or .dll. Supports all MS Frameworks.

The support of the CF is very limited.
With some fiddling you will be able to compile and run an app for the CF,
but you won't have DBF support, no Macrocompiler and also the VO compatible
classlibs will not work on the CF. Also the Vulcan-VS support for CF lacks
interesting features for the CF.

If you consider developing for the CF, you better use one of the MS
languages.

Same suggestion for any new development. C# is not that hard at all!

Erik

"Brian" <b展an@g家fxsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Geoff Schaller

Mar 7, 2009, 7:01:28 PM3/7/09
Chee,

As Brian has indicated, there will never be a 64 bit version of VO.
However, any VO or Vulcan app will run perfectly in a 32 or 64 bit
environment so why should it matter? There is very little you would
"need" a 64 bit application for, other than to squeeze a few
milliseconds of performance out, but unless your application needs to
deal routinely with numbers > 4GB I would suggest that 64 bit is largely
irrelevant.

And if you need to work with huge numbers routinely, why not go to C# or
VB.net?

Geoff

signature database 3917 (20090307) __________

http://www.eset.com