Reasonably priced C11 now available

lawrenc...@siemens.com

May 30, 2012, 1:16:19 PM5/30/12
The C11 Standard is now available from ANSI for $30:
<http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS%2fISO%2fIEC+9899-2012>
--
Larry Jones

I've changed my mind, Hobbes. People are scum. -- Calvin

Kulin

May 30, 2012, 5:44:42 PM5/30/12
lawrenc...@siemens.com wrote:

> The C11 Standard is now available from ANSI for $30:
> <http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS%2fISO%2fIEC+9899-2012>

(checking calendar for April 1st...)

nick_keigh...@hotmail.com

May 31, 2012, 5:43:59 AM5/31/12
why?

Rui Maciel

May 31, 2012, 6:19:57 AM5/31/12
nick_keigh...@hotmail.com wrote:

> why?

My take is that some standards do tend to be extraordinarily expensive.
This problem is made worse in those cases where a standard references N
other standards and is impossible to comply with their specifications
without following the specifications defined in countless other standards.

In this case, this standard was being sold for around €200[1]. Being able
to purchase the same standard for nearly 15% of the previous asking price
may be a surprise for some.

Rui Maciel

[1]
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csnumber=57853

David T. Ashley

May 31, 2012, 8:44:42 AM5/31/12
On Thu, 31 May 2012 11:19:57 +0100, Rui Maciel <rui.m...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>nick_keigh...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> why?
>
>My take is that some standards do tend to be extraordinarily expensive.
>This problem is made worse in those cases where a standard references N
>other standards and is impossible to comply with their specifications
>without following the specifications defined in countless other standards.

I myself was curious about DO-178B, so I purchased that for $160 for
personal reading. A bit expensive for casual reading.

One of the problems, I suppose, is that the publisher of the standard
has no way to differentiate between casual use (i.e. personal
research) and for-profit use.

Also, the publisher of the standard has no way to produce a version
that is suitable for personal use only and so can be sold for less.
(This is unlike the situation with software, where one can often
produce a hobbled version that is suitable for learning and student
work but unsuitable for for-profit work.)

So, the prices are pretty high.

And the pain isn't just confined to individuals. I'm aware of one
major company that felt that one of the ISO standards was too
expensive and so is using the final draft (before the standard)
internally, augmented with a list of differences between the final
draft and the standard. So, even some large companies feel the price
is too high for some of these things.

>In this case, this standard was being sold for around €200[1]. Being able
>to purchase the same standard for nearly 15% of the previous asking price
>may be a surprise for some.

I'm glad to see it out there for a reasonable price!

DTA.

nick_keigh...@hotmail.com

May 31, 2012, 9:48:19 AM5/31/12
to rui.m...@gmail.com
On Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:19:57 AM UTC+1, Rui Maciel wrote:
> nick_keigh...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > why?

what I meant was "why check it's not April 1?". Is 30 USD very expensive or very cheap to Kulin? Or is he just being a smart ass?