How to pronounce char?

1 view

Patrik Ekengren

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

How is the data-type char pronounced?
(Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

/Patrik (from Sweden)

Paul Hughett

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

Patrik Ekengren (su94...@nada.kth.se) wrote:
: How is the data-type char pronounced?

: (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

I personally say char(acter), but I suspect both pronunciations
are in common use. Use whichever one you find more comfortable.

Paul Hughett

Peter Seebach

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

In article <34F48CBE...@nada.kth.se>,

Patrik Ekengren <su94...@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>How is the data-type char pronounced?
>(Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

It's pronounced like the first word of "char *".

The accent is on the first syllable.

This is a FAQ.

-s
--
Copyright '98, All rights reserved. Peter Seebach / se...@plethora.net
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter. Boycott Spamazon!

James Hu

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:27:27 +0100, Patrik Ekengren

<su94...@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>How is the data-type char pronounced?
>(Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

Hi Patrik,

I'm sure this question is very important to you, and it is probably
something that has crossed the mind of every C programmer. However,
this fact leads me to believe it is a prime candidate for an FAQ.

And in fact, it is listed almost word for word the way you have asked
it in question 20.39.

I hope you find this a valuable resource.

--
James C. Hu <j...@cs.wustl.edu> Computer Science Doctoral Student
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~jxh/ Washington University in Saint Louis

Dann Corbit

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

Patrik Ekengren wrote in message <34F48CBE...@nada.kth.se>...

>How is the data-type char pronounced?
>(Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

Egads. We had a huge discussion on this a while back. It's probably flushed
from DejaNews by now, unfortunately.

No consensus was reached, as I recall. But I may as well state, with true
correctness, the right answers. You can pronounce it as in 'char-broiled
steak' as a reminder that if you are not careful, you might get burned. On
the other hand, you can pronounce it as in 'care-giving, gentle kindness' and
be in the proper spirit for joining Stephan Wilms' campaign against
grumpyness. Some even pronounce it as in 'car driving' to remind themselves
that if you don't maintain them properly, you might get into an accident. You
might call them byte pointers, to remind yourself that you might get bitten in
the rear if you don't watch out. But certain ones might not like that usage.
Or you can just resolve in your heart never to use them. But you will have a
hard time printing things.

Have a nice day.
--
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
C-FAQ ftp: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu, C-FAQ Book: ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Billy Chambless

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

In article <34F48CBE...@nada.kth.se>, Patrik Ekengren <su94...@nada.kth.se> writes:
|> How is the data-type char pronounced?
|> (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

Yes.

This is addressed in both the IAQ and the FAQ for this newsgroup:

Peter Seebach has written:

19.26: How do you pronounce ``char''?

Like the first word of ``char *''. The accent is generally on the
first syllable.

However, this is a bit confusing, as I've always pronounced the first
word of "char *" as "poyn-tur". He's right about the accent, though.

Steve Summit writes:

Question 20.39

How do you pronounce ``char''?

You can pronounce the C keyword ``char'' in at least three ways: like
the English words ``char,'' ``care,'' or ``car;'' the
choice is arbitrary.

Although this answer is a bit wishy-washy, it's generally accepted by
the kind of people who char about such things.
--
* "And there _is_ a real world. In fact, some of you
* are in it right now." -- Gene Spafford

Chris Engebretson

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

In article <34F48CBE...@nada.kth.se>,
Patrik Ekengren <su94...@nada.kth.se> writes:

|> How is the data-type char pronounced?
|> (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

Yes.

Regards,

--
Chris Engebretson - Raytheon STX Corporation | Ph#: (605)594-6829
USGS EROS Data Center, Sioux Falls, SD 57198 | Fax: (605)594-6940

Will Rose

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

Patrik Ekengren (su94...@nada.kth.se) wrote:
: How is the data-type char pronounced?

: (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

It's pronounced something like water-buffalo, for small values of something;
but in Swedish, probably differently. I suggest that to avoid confusion you
pronounce it the way your colleagues pronounce it. Otherwise, see the FAQ.

Will
c...@crash.cts.com

Doug Barnes

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

Patrik Ekengren wrote:

> How is the data-type char pronounced?
> (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>
> /Patrik (from Sweden)

Why does it matter, (you say tomato,...)?

firewind

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

On 25 Feb 1998, Paul Hughett wrote:

> Patrik Ekengren (su94...@nada.kth.se) wrote:
> : How is the data-type char pronounced?
> : (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>

> I personally say char(acter), but I suspect both pronunciations
> are in common use. Use whichever one you find more comfortable.

Hm. Forsaking 'kare' (as in, I care for you) and 'char' (as in, charred
to a crispy crunch), I've always gone with 'kar' (as in, I am a used car
dealer).

Anyway, it's a matter of style... :)

--
(initiator of the campaign for grumpiness where grumpiness is due in c.l.c)

Attempting to write in a hybrid which can be compiled by either a C compiler
or a C++ compiler produces a compromise language which combines the drawbacks
of both with the advantages of neither.
-- John Winters <jo...@polo.demon.co.uk> in comp.lang.c

GHouck

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

Patrik Ekengren wrote:

> How is the data-type char pronounced?
> (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)

If this discussion persists as long as it did
the last time, I will personally put a final
char-acterization on the discussion by char-ring
my char-fully char-ried body in front of all
who char, rotating slowly on the char-ousel of
life, while a nearby char-illon plays my funeral
dirge.

Who chars?

:)
Geoff Houck
systems hk
hk...@teleport.com
http://www.teleport.com/~hksys

Kaz Kylheku

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

In article <34F48CBE...@nada.kth.se>,

Patrik Ekengren <su94...@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>How is the data-type char pronounced?
>(Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>
>/Patrik (from Sweden)

Oh shit, no! Not this thread again..

When was this last discussed? Sometime in 1996 or so...

In fact, on May 11, 1996, an Andy "LaLa" Chang asked:

Howdy,
I've been programmed [sic] in C for quite awhile [sic]
now, but I never learned how to prounce the character type
'char'. I have prounounced it like 'care' as in 'character'
and I have also prounounced ias as 'cha' as in 'charge'. In
both cases, people I talked to never bother to correct me.
Which one is right?

It turns out that the proper way to pronounce char is

teefcack,

after the spelling ``tfkac'', which, of course, stands for ``type formerly
known as char'', according to ANSI/ISO 9899:1956, clause 12.3.4.5.32
(Pronounciations of basic types). Though some say that ``tfcac'' is
originally due to to one Ronald I 't Velt, who posted the following
article on April 11th, 1996:

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> In article <01bc4522$0dcd6360$87ee...@timpent.a-sis.com>,
> Tim Behrendsen <t...@a-sis.com> wrote:
>
> >It makes perfect sense (that's how I pronounce it). Pretend that
> >it isn't an abbreviation and say it.
> >
> >Ch - ar
> >
> >It's obvious to any moron that this is the superior pronounciation.
>
> I pronounce it @#$%. Since this can't really be spoken, each time I wish
> to prounounce char, I hold up a sign exhibiting the characters @#$%.
>
> For example, sizeof(char) would be read as:
>
> ``sizeof'', ``open parenthesis'', <hold up sign>, ``closed
parenthesis''.

But someone taking dictation from you will not type char, but @#$%. You
will need to have a statement typedef char @#$%;

To avoid this sort of thing, and fights over the pronunciation in
general, our company has decided to ban the use of the char type in any
c/c++ program. This is set down in our programming guidelines and
enforced until the ANSI committee will accept our proposal to change
char into tfkac (Type Formerly Known As Char).

--
Ronald In 't Velt
THE BILL GATES WEALTH CLOCK:

Bill Gates' Wealth : $1,245,122,563.66
Your family's Share: $5,334.23
ANTISPAM:Remove the first two letters of my address to reply...

Also, from Peter Seebach, we had the following golden advice at around that
time:

That's best answered by a quote from the Infrequently Asked Questions list.

18.26: How do you pronounce ``char''?

A: Like the first word of ``char *''. The accent is generally on
the first syllable.

For more helpful answers like this one, check out
http://www.solon.com/~seebs/c/c-iaq.html

Note: the above URL is now out of date. You have to go to
www.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c-iaq.html instead.

Have fun!

--

When I'm cruising in my char down the highway, munching on my char-broiled
burger, I feel as though I don't have a char in the world.

Martin Ambuhl

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

firewind wrote in message ...

|Hm. Forsaking 'kare' (as in, I care for you) and 'char' (as in, charred
|to a crispy crunch), I've always gone with 'kar' (as in, I am a used car
|dealer).

As opposed to cdr, perhaps?

Jack Klein

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Patrik Ekengren <su94...@nada.kth.se> wrote in article
<34F48CBE...@nada.kth.se>...

> How is the data-type char pronounced?
> (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>
> /Patrik (from Sweden)

<Jack>

Correctly, of course. :)

</Jack>

Stephan Wilms

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Patrik Ekengren wrote:

> How is the data-type char pronounced?
> (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>
> /Patrik (from Sweden)

Assignment: Try to find as many different ways to pronounce "char",
as you can. Explain each pronounciation. Make it
understandable and (if possbile) funny.
(Don't bother to reply before you have at least 10)

If you can solve that assignment satisfactorily, you'll get one
system specific answer for free.

Stephan (from Germany)

Stephan Wilms

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

firewind wrote:

> On 25 Feb 1998, Paul Hughett wrote:
>
> > Patrik Ekengren (su94...@nada.kth.se) wrote:
> > : How is the data-type char pronounced?
> > : (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
> >
> > I personally say char(acter), but I suspect both pronunciations
> > are in common use. Use whichever one you find more comfortable.
>
> Hm. Forsaking 'kare' (as in, I care for you) and 'char' (as in, charred
> to a crispy crunch), I've always gone with 'kar' (as in, I am a used car
> dealer).
>
> Anyway, it's a matter of style... :)

Here's a new one: you could pronounce it as the beginning of
"cherish".

Stephan

A.van.Kessel

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98
to su94...@nada.kth.se

Patrik Ekengren <su94...@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>How is the data-type char pronounced?
>(Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>
>/Patrik (from Sweden)

Not.
It should *never* be pronounced.

It can be typed into a file and this file could be fed to a compiler.

Talking to a compiler is a symptom of severe mental disorder.
Go see a debugger!

--
Happy hacking,

Adriaan van Kessel.
Ingres DBA, C/Unix hacker
Email: Adriaan.v...@NotThere.rivm.nl
(remove NotThere. from the above address)
*** Nederlandstalige zachtwaar is een pijn in de aars ***

Michael J. Fromberger

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

In <Pine.LNX.3.95.98022...@metroid.dyn.ml.org>
firewind <fire...@metroid.dyn.ml.org> writes:

>On 25 Feb 1998, Paul Hughett wrote:

>> Patrik Ekengren (su94...@nada.kth.se) wrote:
>> : How is the data-type char pronounced?
>> : (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>>

>> I personally say char(acter), but I suspect both pronunciations
>> are in common use. Use whichever one you find more comfortable.
>
> Hm. Forsaking 'kare' (as in, I care for you) and 'char' (as in,
> charred to a crispy crunch), I've always gone with 'kar' (as in, I
> am a used car dealer).
>
> Anyway, it's a matter of style... :)

Personally, I avoid using [kar] since that's the pronunciation I more
commonly associate with the Lisp 'car' operator. This leaves [tshar]
and [ker], of which which the former has connotations of something
burnt and carbonized, leaving the latter as reasonable.

So, yes, as you say, it's a matter of style :)

-M

P.S.- A note on pronunciation:
Symbol American English approx. Phonetic
[a] 'c[a]r' (i.e. automobile) low-back-unround-vowel
[e] 'w[ay]' mid-front-unround-tense-vowel
[tsh] '[ch]urch' voiceless-palatal-affricate
[r] '[r]am' retroflex-approximant
[k] '[k]ill' voiceless-velar-plosive

--
Michael J. Fromberger
Software Engineer, Thayer School of Engineering

John Winters

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

In article <6d244n$7vb$1...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Paul Hughett <hug...@chaplin.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
>Patrik Ekengren (su94...@nada.kth.se) wrote:
>: How is the data-type char pronounced?
>: (Is it like the beginning of character or charge?)
>
>I personally say char(acter), but I suspect both pronunciations
>are in common use.

This of course depends on how you pronounce "character". The American
version shortens fairly easily, but the English one doesn't. Perhaps
there are others too?

> Use whichever one you find more comfortable.

Indeed.

John
--
John Winters. Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

Karl Stenerud

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Martin Ambuhl <mam...@tiac.net> wrote in article
<6d3223$p...@news-central.tiac.net>...

> firewind wrote in message ...
>
> |Hm. Forsaking 'kare' (as in, I care for you) and 'char' (as in, charred
> |to a crispy crunch), I've always gone with 'kar' (as in, I am a used car
> |dealer).

Nonsense! everyone knows it's pronounced czar =)

Richard Stamp

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

In article <6d49qu$2rd$1...@polo.demon.co.uk>,

John Winters <jo...@polo.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>This of course depends on how you pronounce "character". The American
>version shortens fairly easily, but the English one doesn't. Perhaps
>there are others too?

OK, I'll bite.

RP ("standard") English pronunciation: kariktu(r) where 'a' is as in 'cat',
'i' is as in 'bit' and 'u' is schwa (like the way you pronounce the word 'a'
when you're not stressing it). The final 'r' is sounded if the following
word begins with a vowel.

So how do they/you pronounce it on the other side of the pond?

Cheers,
Richard
--
Richard Stamp