why is size of empty class is 1 byte

Ajay

Aug 22, 2006, 3:35:07 AM8/22/06
Hello All, I have one question in mind...when you derive an empty class
and see its size it comes 1 byte,can somebody tell me why.....Thanks in
advance.
Ajay

Ajay

Aug 22, 2006, 3:35:08 AM8/22/06

Ajay

Aug 22, 2006, 3:35:07 AM8/22/06

Ajay

Aug 22, 2006, 3:35:10 AM8/22/06

Ajay

Aug 22, 2006, 3:35:09 AM8/22/06

Ajay

Aug 22, 2006, 3:35:11 AM8/22/06

Greg Comeau

Aug 22, 2006, 3:45:50 AM8/22/06
In article <1156232110.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

Because zero sized objects are normally not allowed so it normally
gets 1, though it could be more, it's implementation defined.
When derived from, it's implementation defined as well whether
or not it take up any space in the derived class since the
derived class won't be zero sized and no user base members would be
used since they don't exist.
--
Greg Comeau / 20 years of Comeauity! Intel Mac Port now in alpha!

Marcus Kwok

Aug 22, 2006, 10:21:03 AM8/22/06

This has been discussed recently:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++/browse_frm/thread/e171616f8d7987b2/

Also, you do not need to post your question 6 times.

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply