C++ and Games

AB

May 15, 2006, 6:19:44 AM5/15/06
Dear All,

I've passed out of college and joined a PC games co (read DirectX). Can
anyone tell me what future prospects are there for a game developer?

Vaclav Haisman

May 15, 2006, 6:25:49 AM5/15/06
I have not heard about a single major game that has been done in
anything else than C++.

--
VH

Ian Collins

May 15, 2006, 6:43:26 AM5/15/06
That probably depends on how good the developer is. Now what was the
C++ question again?

--
Ian Collins.

Rolf Magnus

May 15, 2006, 7:15:36 AM5/15/06
Vaclav Haisman wrote:

Well, many have been written in C (remember Quake?), but I think, nowadays,
C++ dominates the game programming world.

alexandre...@gmail.com

May 15, 2006, 8:27:56 AM5/15/06
Pascal ?

Gernot Frisch

May 15, 2006, 8:31:45 AM5/15/06
> Can anyone tell me what future prospects are there for a game
> developer?

Poverty and excessive labour.

Gernot Frisch

May 15, 2006, 8:33:36 AM5/15/06
> Pascal ?

Or even FORTRAN?

Rolf Magnus

May 15, 2006, 8:43:07 AM5/15/06
Gernot Frisch wrote:

>> Pascal ?
>>
> Or even FORTRAN?

Don't forget Assembler, Flash, Javascript and bad old BASIC.

mlimber

May 15, 2006, 8:56:21 AM5/15/06

>From what my friend at EA tells me, while they use C++ for Madden, NCAA
football, etc., they shun the STL, Boost-ish extensions, and the like
and make use of a lot of global singletons. They use their custom
versions of memset and of malloc instead of new (overloaded or
otherwise), and I presume they likewise eschew exceptions. It sounds
more like C-style code written with some C++ syntax rather than "pure"
C++/OO programs. (Of course, C++ intends to support multiple
programming paradigms, and EA has a lot of legacy code that came from
C-only programs.)

Cheers! --M

Gernot Frisch

May 15, 2006, 9:31:15 AM5/15/06
>>From what my friend at EA tells me, while they use C++ for Madden,
>>NCAA
> football, etc., they shun the STL, Boost-ish extensions, and the
> like
> and make use of a lot of global singletons. They use their custom
> versions of memset and of malloc instead of new (overloaded or
> otherwise), and I presume they likewise eschew exceptions. It sounds
> more like C-style code written with some C++ syntax rather than
> "pure"
> C++/OO programs. (Of course, C++ intends to support multiple
> programming paradigms, and EA has a lot of legacy code that came
> from
> C-only programs.)

That explains everything about EA sports games...

Phlip

May 15, 2006, 9:49:04 AM5/15/06
Gernot Frisch wrote:

EA lives on buying the name-brands and releasing them as games with minor
technical improvements.

Because technical innovation is not rewarded, it sounds like they will
continue with a language and platform that they have invented for
themselves, based on C and C++.

Further, they are widely regarded as the industry leaders in chronic
overtime. Most game companies do that, and it wastes time and effort to
produce a game. The OP is advised to resist any requests for overtime - paid
or not - even if it means losing this job. It's never worth it.

--
Phlip

Noah Roberts

May 15, 2006, 10:54:28 AM5/15/06

mlimber wrote:

> >From what my friend at EA tells me, while they use C++ for Madden, NCAA
> football, etc., they shun the STL, Boost-ish extensions, and the like
> and make use of a lot of global singletons. They use their custom
> versions of memset and of malloc instead of new (overloaded or
> otherwise), and I presume they likewise eschew exceptions. It sounds
> more like C-style code written with some C++ syntax rather than "pure"
> C++/OO programs. (Of course, C++ intends to support multiple
> programming paradigms, and EA has a lot of legacy code that came from
> C-only programs.)

Sounds scarily familiar...are you an industrial spy??

Cy Edmunds

May 15, 2006, 1:20:31 PM5/15/06

"AB" <abj...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Dear All,
>
> I've passed out of college and joined a PC games co (read DirectX). Can
> anyone tell me what future prospects are there for a game developer?

C++ is used for most new games. Many of them publish SDK's for the mod
community so you can see for yourself. The down side is that game
development has become such a large effort (teams of greater than 100 are
normal) that one individual can expect only a small piece of the pie.

AB

May 16, 2006, 3:30:42 AM5/16/06
There's no C++ question as such...just asking what kinda job prospects
are available for a game developer (language not important)