Sending graphics to printer

Scott

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

I made some graphs using screen 12 mode and now I want to print them.
Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have borrowed 5 books from a
friend, and none give information on the subject. Any help would be
appreciated!

-Scott
-remove the nospam stuff from email address

Judson McClendon

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Scott <nive...@tc.umn.edu.nospam> wrote:
> I made some graphs using screen 12 mode and now I want to print
> them. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have borrowed 5 books
> from a friend, and none give information on the subject. Any help
> would be appreciated!

Scott, that depends on what kind of printer you're using. You must
obtain a list of the graphics commands for your printer, and the codes
vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and printer to printer. However,
if you're using a laser printer that has either HP PCL or Postscript
capability, there is a lot of standardization, which is very helpful.
It also matters quite a bit if you're using color. Printing in color
can be quite a bit more complicated than B/W.

In general, you will send a command to the printer to expect a row of
graphics, likely specifying the length of the row. This command is
followed by the row of graphics. The row will likely be the top one
to eight rows of pixels, sent in 8 bit binary. Next a command to
advance to the next line may be sent, but not always. This depends on
the printer's graphics command functions. Some printers automatically
advance after each row of graphics. But you will continue to send row
after row of graphics data to the printer until the image is complete.
Last, you will usually sent a page eject command. On page printers,
such as laser printers, you can send positioning commands prior to
sending the image, to position the image on the page. There are also
resolution commands to specify the number of pixels per inch each.
For more information, you will need the graphics commands manual for
the specific printer.

Printing graphics is not necessarily a particularly difficult process,
but it can be tedious. And you MUST have the command codes and formats
for your specific printer.
--
Judson McClendon This is a faithful saying and worthy of all
Sun Valley Systems acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the

Joachim Hylen

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Scott:

You can use GRAPHICS.COM and simulate a Print Screen

Regards
Joachim

Scott wrote:

> Hi,

> I made some graphs using screen 12 mode and now I want to print them.
> Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have borrowed 5 books from a
> friend, and none give information on the subject. Any help would be
> appreciated!

Marnix Bindels

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Scott wrote:

If you want to do Black and white graphics, using a PCL printer than
take a look at
http://wsinis12.win.tue.nl:8184

'All' HP printers are PCL-capable (they invented it) and so are
HP-compatible printers.

P.S. If you have tried this webpage before and didn't get contact,
you're right the server has been down the past week. I restarted it and
is up and running now.

Jestroj

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Go to http://members.aol.com/jestroj