Announcing "awk.info"

There are those who call me... Tim?

Feb 15, 2009, 3:15:47 PM2/15/09
Arnold Robbins recently asked if anyone wanted to run his "awk.info"
web site. I raised my hand first so...

Announcing http://awk.info, a new web resource for the Awk
community.

The goal of the site is to become a set of hints and tips and lots of
useful Awk code.

To help built large Awk libraries, the site is tightly integrated
with LAWKER, a library of awk code hosted at
http://code.google.com/p/lawker/source/browse/fridge/gawk/ . Code in
that library can be "pretty printed" on the web. E.g. the awk code at
http://lawker.googlecode.com/svn/fridge/gawk/array/join.awk is "pretty
printed" at http://awk.info/?gawk/array/join.awk .

Hopefully, awk.info will become a community project. As discussed in
http://awk.info/?contribute , there are many ways you can contribute
to this site such as ...

* Promote this site
o Design a mascot (http://awk.info/?mascot)
o Link to this site from your home page.

* Improve a page:
o Found Typos? Want to clarify something?
o Want to add some links?

* Add page(s)

* Improve the code in the repository:
o Write comments or tests suites on that code
o Report a bug, propose an enhancement

* Contribute new code:
o 1 liners, 10 liners, function files, packages, etc

* Help edit this site?
o Become a Great Auk (an awk.info webmaster)
o See http://awk.info/?who/greatauk)

Enjoy!
:-)

Mark Hobley

Feb 15, 2009, 6:08:01 PM2/15/09
There are those who call me... Tim? <menzi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Improve a page:
> o Found Typos? Want to clarify something?

One of the problems with the site is that it is gawk centric. It should
really be considered that gawk is not awk. Code written for gawk may not run
on awk. Maybe separate gawk specifics rather than embedding them into
pages that are possibly about awk, or if the site is really intended to
be about gawk, it would be better named gawk.info IMHO.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

There are those who call me... Tim?

Feb 15, 2009, 6:36:54 PM2/15/09
On Feb 15, 6:08 pm, markhob...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark

Hobley) wrote:
> One of the problems with the site is that it is gawk centric. It should
> really be considered that gawk is not awk. Code written for gawk may not run
> on awk. Maybe separate gawk specifics rather than embedding them into
> pages that are possibly about awk, or if the site is really intended to
> be about gawk, it would be better named gawk.info IMHO.

your comment is more general than awk vs gawk. it even extends to
xgawk vs gawk vs awk vs ...

ultimately, what will decide if awk.info is really gawk.info or
xgawk.info or awkawk.info will be this:

- what kinds of source code will be contributed?

if you'd like to contribute non-gawk awk, then there is certainly
place at awk.info. if you look at lawker ( http://code.google.com/p/lawker/source/browse/fridge
) you can see that it has sub-directories for gawk and xgawk.

now there is no reason why their can't be other sub-directories for
the one true awk, mawk, etc- if only someone would contribute that
code

enjoy!
:-)

mjc

Feb 16, 2009, 4:11:05 PM2/16/09
On Feb 15, 3:36 pm, "There are those who call me... Tim?"

<menzies....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 6:08 pm, markhob...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
>
> Hobley) wrote:
> > One of the problems with the site is that it is gawk centric. It should
> > really be considered that gawk is not awk. Code written for gawk may not run
> > on awk. Maybe separate gawk specifics rather than embedding them into
> > pages that are possibly about awk, or if the site is really intended to
> > be about gawk, it would be better named gawk.info IMHO.
>
> your comment is more general than awk vs gawk. it even extends to
> xgawk vs gawk vs awk vs  ...
>
> ultimately, what will decide if awk.info is really gawk.info or
> xgawk.info or awkawk.info will be this:
>
> - what kinds of source code will be contributed?
>
> if you'd like to contribute non-gawk awk, then there is certainly
> place at awk.info. if you look at lawker (http://code.google.com/p/lawker/source/browse/fridge

> ) you can see that it has sub-directories for gawk and xgawk.
>
> now there is no reason why their can't be other sub-directories for
> the one true awk, mawk, etc- if only someone would contribute that
> code
>
> enjoy!
> :-)

Is there an rss feed for the site? I would like that.

Tim Menzies

Feb 22, 2009, 2:01:14 AM2/22/09
On Feb 16, 4:11 pm, mjc <mjco...@acm.org> wrote:

> Is there an rss feed for the site? I would like that.

great idea. i've added one using Blogger and lastRSS. see
http://lawker.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss . it uses
"enclosures" so when you go to the above feed, click on "Original
Enclosure" to get more details on any posting.

enjoy!
:-)

p.s. i'd rather not use enclosures. anyone out there better at RSS
feeds in PHP than me?

Tim Menzies

Feb 22, 2009, 12:22:14 PM2/22/09
On Feb 22, 2:01 am, Tim Menzies <menzies....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 4:11 pm, mjc <mjco...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > Is there an rss feed for the site? I would like that.
>
> great idea. i've added one using Blogger and lastRSS.  seehttp://lawker.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss.

further to the above, i did not like that url. here's a cleaner one:

http://tinyurl.com/rss4awk

enjoy!
:-)

Aleksey Cheusov

Mar 6, 2009, 7:49:53 AM3/6/09

> if you'd like to contribute non-gawk awk, then there is certainly
> place at awk.info. if you look at lawker ( http://code.google.com/p/lawker/source/browse/fridge
> ) you can see that it has sub-directories for gawk and xgawk.

Why my code which is a part of RUNAWK was placed under gawk "directory"?
All awk modules from runawk are portable. They work just fine under GNU
awk, NetBSD awk (patched nawk), mawk etc.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.

Tim Menzies

Mar 6, 2009, 4:30:44 PM3/6/09

runawk is a great tool which well deserves a prominent place in
LAWKER.

but i'm not sure where is the best place for it.

there are several candidate tools for running groups of awk files as
part of one project. should there be a separate directory for "pawk"
(project awk)?

or should there be a "c" directory at the same level as "gawk" and
that "c" directory should have a sub-directory for "runawk"?

or should we do it some other way?

Aleksey Cheusov

Mar 9, 2009, 5:58:52 AM3/9/09
>>> if you'd like to contribute non-gawk awk, then there is certainly
>>> place at awk.info. if you look at lawker ( http://code.google.com/p/lawker/source/browse/fridge
>>> ) you can see that it has sub-directories for gawk and xgawk.
>>
>> Why my code which is a part of RUNAWK was placed under gawk "directory"?
>> All awk modules from runawk are portable. They work just fine under GNU
>> awk, NetBSD awk (patched nawk), mawk etc.
>
> runawk is a great tool which well deserves a prominent place in
> LAWKER.
>
> but i'm not sure where is the best place for it.

I meant that it makes sense to rename "gawk" directory to "awk" because
most of scripts there are portable and works fine with different AWK
interpreters. At the same time "gawk" directory should contain
only gawk-specific modules.

Tim Menzies

Mar 9, 2009, 10:13:44 AM3/9/09
On Mar 9, 5:58 am, Aleksey Cheusov <v...@gmx.net> wrote:

> >> Why my code which is a part of RUNAWK was placed under gawk "directory"?
>
> I meant that it makes sense to rename "gawk" directory to "awk" because
> most of scripts there are portable and works fine with different AWK
> interpreters. At the same time "gawk" directory should contain
> only gawk-specific modules.

a worthy point. i won't do it straight away since it will mean
recoding some hardwired paths

but, heh, those paths should not be hardwired anyway. time for a
little refactoring.

thanks!
tim menzies