Gawk stable news: new loadable builtin in CVS

Aharon Robbins

May 15, 2009, 7:28:08 AM5/15/09
I have just added a new example loadable builtin in the gawk stable
CVS repository. It provides the ability to dump an array to a file as
binary data and read it back. This should, in theory, be faster than
dumping / restoring arrays as text.

I have tried to write binary data in network order, with the exception of
the double floating point number. I'm not sure what to do about that yet.

In the meantime, check it out.

Arnold
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com
P.O. Box 354 Home Phone: +972 8 979-0381

Andrew Schorr

May 16, 2009, 11:45:59 AM5/16/09
Thanks, this looks like an interesting new extension.

On May 15, 7:28 am, arn...@skeeve.com (Aharon Robbins) wrote:
> I have tried to write binary data in network order, with the exception of
> the double floating point number.  I'm not sure what to do about that yet.

One idea is to copy the logic of Sun's xdr_double implementation. I'm
not certain how portable that truly is, but it has definitely worked
for me between sparc, i386, and x86_64 architectures. The code can be
found in glibc in sunrpc/xdr_float.c.

Regards,
Andy

Aharon Robbins

May 16, 2009, 3:55:51 PM5/16/09
The code to restore the the array from the dump was broken. It's now fixed.

Enjoy.

In article <gujjk8$vbf$1...@localhost.localdomain>,

r.p....@gmail.com

May 18, 2009, 12:43:00 PM5/18/09
On May 15, 7:28 am, arn...@skeeve.com (Aharon Robbins) wrote:

Excellent functional extension -- can't wait to see the syntax and try
it out... should be especially helpful for cgi requests that use big
ontologies.