Workstation APL2 Version 2 Service Level 15

David Liebtag

Nov 6, 2009, 2:28:57 PM11/6/09
The IBM APL Products and Services group is pleased to announce Service Level
15 for Workstation APL2 for Multiplatforms Version 2.0. This new service
level is available for all Workstation APL2 platforms including AIX, Linux,
Sun Solaris, and Windows.

Along with fixes for customer reported problems, Service Level 15 contains
the following enhancements:

All platforms:

Fill functions are implemented for each and outer product.

Identity functions are implemented for reduce.

New external function LEXP provides lexical parsing using the APL2 syntax
rules.

New external function FDELETE deletes an operating system file. On Windows,
the file is sent to the Recycle Bin.

Windows:

General enhancements to the Session Manager environment include preservation
of color and font information as data is copied to the clipboard and a
single global custom colors array for all APL2 windows.

Additions to the Object Editor's Edit menu are Paste File, Redo, Comment and
Decomment.

Extensive changes have been made to allow easier debugging of APL2
applications. Highlights of these changes include a new Debug menu in the
Session Manager window, a Stack window and Watch windows for variables and
expressions.

Unicode characters can be assigned to keys using the APL2 Keyboard
Properties dialog.

New external function IDIOMSG provides a GUI interface to the APL2 Idioms
Library.

Service Level 15 is available through the Support option at the APL2 home
page to customers with a Software Maintenance contract.

Further information on the new facilities will be found in the updated APL2
User's Guide and on-line help after installing the service. A complete list
of fixes included in this level will be found in the updated README (Unix
systems) or "Service Information" (Windows systems) file.

Björn Helgason, j-programming

Nov 7, 2009, 4:55:06 AM11/7/09
On Nov 6, 7:28 pm, "David Liebtag" <lieb...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> New external function LEXP provides lexical parsing using the APL2 syntax
> rules.

What is this supposed to do and what is meant by external here?
Is it working on something outside APL2?

> Extensive changes have been made to allow easier debugging of APL2
> applications.  Highlights of these changes include a new Debug menu in the
> Session Manager window, a Stack window and Watch windows for variables and
> expressions.

This sounds interesting!

> Unicode characters can be assigned to keys using the APL2 Keyboard
> Properties dialog.

I can imagine this to be a good feature

> New external function IDIOMSG provides a GUI interface to the APL2 Idioms
> Library.

Can you give some info about the idioms library?
How many are there etc.

Is it the finn idioms or something else?

Sounds like an interesting feature.

David Liebtag

Nov 7, 2009, 8:37:53 AM11/7/09
Björn,

LEXP parses APL2 expressions and produces numeric vectors which can be used with the partition primitive to separate the tokens.  This is useful in workspace analysis and documentation tools.  Here is an example:

      3 11 ⎕NA⊃'DISPLAY' 'LEXP'
1 1
      EXP←'ABC+DEF,HIJ'
      DISPLAY (LEXP EXP)⊂EXP
┌→──────────────────────────┐
│ ┌→──┐ ┌→┐ ┌→──┐ ┌→┐ ┌→──┐ │
│ │ABC│ │+│ │DEF│ │,│ │HIJ│ │
│ └───┘ └─┘ └───┘ └─┘ └───┘ │
└∊──────────────────────────┘

The APL2 idioms library was built years ago by Stan Cason.  I believe he gathered idioms from several sources including the Finn idioms.  There 830 idioms in the library.  It is the same list that has been used for years by the IDIOMS function.

David Liebtag

Björn Helgason, j-programming

Nov 7, 2009, 9:20:20 AM11/7/09

It is quite important to have GUI interface to idioms and the idioms
need to be well documented and explained what they do.

830 idioms is quite a collection and they most often are solving
interesting situations so they should be treated with help
documentation and good examples.

The APL2 environment seems to be growing into quite a toolbox and
operating in all major environments.

Björn Helgason, j-programming

Nov 10, 2009, 6:27:27 AM11/10/09
On Nov 6, 7:28 pm, "David Liebtag" <lieb...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> The IBM APL Products and Services group is pleased to announce Service Level
> 15 for Workstation APL2 for Multiplatforms Version 2.0. This new service
> level is available for all Workstation APL2 platforms including AIX, Linux,
> Sun Solaris, and Windows.

I looked up IBM and APL2 and was a bit surprised how much info there
is.

It does not look like there is much difference between the Workstation
APL2 and the mainframe version.