TIOBE Programming Community

Martin Krischik

Dec 15, 2007, 12:49:18 PM12/15/07
Hello,

Well Ada [1] dropped of the edge and fell down to place 24. Place 20 is
now "Lua" [2]. Note that the TIOBE index not a language index but a
comunity index. Not Ada as a language is measured but our enthusiasm as Ada
supporters.

Also intersting is that - by TIOBE definition [3] - all of the first 20
places (and 21 Logo ?!?) are now "A" level - which again by TIOBE
definition are considered mainstream languages. (I wonder if they are going
the change that definition anytime soon).

About a year ago I observed that the top 5 languages comunities are loosing
ground in favour of smaller languages comunities.

Sad that the Ada comunity could not gain from that trend. Of course we have
been hobbled because of the shift from usenet to more modern platforms like
YouTube. Or Google Blogs - which brings me to an idea - maybe I should
start to blog all my comp.lang.ada posts in Google Blogs.

Martin

[1] http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Ada.html
[2] http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Lua.html
[3] http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index/tpci_definition.htm
--
mailto://kris...@users.sourceforge.net

Jeffrey Creem

Dec 15, 2007, 2:15:05 PM12/15/07

I've tried to always get the "programming" on the page with Ada but the
current situation of scoring situation is pretty bogus.

For instance, c++ google returns about 124,000,000 hits
trying c++ programming (no quotes) returns 7,870,000.

Since it is pretty reasonable to assume there are very view hits on c++
that re not about the language, that implies that the current Ada hit
count should be multiplied by about 15.

In any case, I've been in lots of these programming language arguments
and not once has tiobe come up. That is not to say that it is impossible
for it to ever come up. Just saying it is not all that relevant

Or said another way, google for tiobe returns 88,900.
Googling for cnet returns 136,000,000 from which I can only conclude
that tiobe is not a relevant computer site.

Just remember that with the current scoring situation if you want to
care that if you reply to a google blog or YouTube video and want to
talk about Ada that you should say "Ada programming" or the response may
be ignored...Silly.

Gautier

Dec 15, 2007, 2:23:22 PM12/15/07
Martin Krischik:

> About a year ago I observed that the top 5 languages comunities are loosing
> ground in favour of smaller languages comunities.

I have the impression that the whole distribution becomes more "flat". You also
have all theses waves of scripting languages. Probably in 5-10 years you will
have 50 "A" languages, including plenty of out-of-fashion scripting languages
with ghost web pages... TIOBE should make different indexes: at least one for
compiled languages and one for script languages. Mixing everything together is a
bit silly, to be polite... Also too little credit is given to sustainability (3
months is as bit short...). Nonetheless the basic idea of that index is
interesting. I just have an idea to make it more meaningful - coming soon...

> Sad that the Ada comunity could not gain from that trend. Of course we have
> been hobbled because of the shift from usenet to more modern platforms like
> YouTube. Or Google Blogs - which brings me to an idea - maybe I should
> start to blog all my comp.lang.ada posts in Google Blogs.

Do you think it is even possible to automatize in a gateway fashion, a bit like
http://www.ada-france.org/mailman/listinfo ? I kind of remember having seen
blogs relayed to ng's.
Gautier -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

Gautier

Dec 15, 2007, 3:59:31 PM12/15/07
In continuation to my previous post, if you set 3 language categories:
compilable / script / other (mostly DB languages) you get a more meaningful picture:

1 Java 31.3%
2 C 20.5%
3 (Visual) Basic 15.9%
4 C++ 12.3%
5 C# 6.2%
6 Delphi 4.2%
7 D 2.5%
8 Lisp/Scheme 1.3%
9 Pascal 1.2%
10 Fortran 1.1%
11 Ada 1.0%
12 Smalltalk 0.4%
13 Haskell 0.4%
14 Forth 0.3%
15 Erlang 0.3%
16 ML 0.2%
17 Scala 0.2%
18 Ch 0.2%
19 Factor 0.2%
20 ABC 0.2%
21 Icon 0.2%

For those interested, I have made an Excel sheet where you paste the array from
TIOBE's web site and get 3 lists with the ranking, name and reweighed rating for
each category.

gp...@axonx.com

Dec 15, 2007, 10:47:16 PM12/15/07
> Ada programming --http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

> NB: For a direct answer, e-mail address on the Web site!

Thanks for the effort:

I think this one looks more realistic. Now every reputable CS
department has to come up with their own language. That is why there
are so many simplistic, totally useless hello-world type of languages
that poor students are forced to use.

I wonder if someone analyzed what is used for mission-critical/life-
safety/embedded apps? That would be closer to what for Ada was
designed for. It will probably come down to C/C++ and Ada. Now there
are talks about RT extensions in Java and C# also.

George

Martin Krischik

Dec 15, 2007, 3:18:07 PM12/15/07
Jeffrey Creem wrote:

> Just remember that with the current scoring situation if you want to
> care that if you reply to a google blog or YouTube video and want to
> talk about Ada that you should say "Ada programming" or the response may
> be ignored...Silly.

I know:

http://ada-programming.blogspot.com/

Or why do you think the Wiki-book is now called "Ada programming":

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming

Martin