In Rememberance of Jean Ichbiah

Joyce Tokar

Jan 28, 2007, 3:47:16 PM1/28/07
With great sadness I learned from Ben Brosgol that Jean Ichbiah passed on
Friday, 26 Jan 2007

Ben said that Jean had a brain tumor around a year ago, and he had a serious
fall last Autumn in which he fractured his skull. He was in rehab for
several months, and I believe that he had been home (in Burlington, Mass.)
for several weeks.

Funeral services will be held on Tuesday, January 30, at 12:30 pm:

Temple Shalom Emeth 16 Lexington Street Burlington, Mass.

To quote Jobn Barnes:

"Jean had an amazing understanding of the basic concepts concerning what
programming was really about. Ada may have its flaws but it is a damn sight
better than anything else I know.

Jean will be remembered as the inspiration for ideas which have driven many
of our careers."

Jeffrey R. Carter

Jan 28, 2007, 8:16:42 PM1/28/07
Joyce Tokar wrote:
> With great sadness I learned from Ben Brosgol that Jean Ichbiah passed on
> Friday, 26 Jan 2007

I'm very sorry to hear this.

> "Jean had an amazing understanding of the basic concepts concerning what
> programming was really about. Ada may have its flaws but it is a damn sight
> better than anything else I know.
>
> Jean will be remembered as the inspiration for ideas which have driven many
> of our careers."

I heard Jean say once that Ada was basically an evolution of LIS, which
he developed in the early 70s. Ada 83 was ahead of its time, and clearly
Jean even further ahead of his time.

--
Jeff Carter
"All citizens will be required to change their underwear

Ian Caldwell

Jan 29, 2007, 3:32:43 PM1/29/07

Jean through creating Ada changed my life. One of my best periods of employment was when I worked for Alsys. It's a sad loss.

Ian Caldwell

Ed Falis

Jan 29, 2007, 5:35:01 PM1/29/07
Ian Caldwell wrote:

> Jean through creating Ada changed my life. One of my best periods of
> employment was when I worked for Alsys. It's a sad loss.

I'll agree with almost all of that, though I'm a bit more reserved about
parts of the Alsys/Thompson Software/Aonix experience. Nice to know
you're still around, Ian. My regards, and a moment of memorium and
silence for JDI - a mixed critter like all of us, but his own man and
well worthy of respect.

- Ed

Message has been deleted