example of layered software?

Lionel Draghi

Nov 29, 2005, 2:52:15 PM11/29/05
I wrote a tool to check architecture, and I wan't to test it on real
projects.
This is why I am looking for Ada (and Java/C/C++) sources that have a
layered architecture, and describe it.

Here is an example from GtkAda documentation :

| Your Application |
| GtkAda |
| +-----------------------------+
| | GTK |
| +-------+-----------------------------+
| | GDK |
+-------+--------------+--+-------------------+
| GLIB | | X-Window / Win32 |
+----------------------+ +-------------------+

I would apreciate something more simple (without bridging), but here is
the idea.

Note that I'll release the tool as free software.

Thank you for your help.

--
Lionel Draghi

Marc A. Criley

Nov 30, 2005, 9:28:26 AM11/30/05
Lionel Draghi wrote:
> I wrote a tool to check architecture, and I wan't to test it on real
> projects.
> This is why I am looking for Ada (and Java/C/C++) sources that have a
> layered architecture, and describe it.

I think you're going to have to describe a bit more what your tool does,
so we can get a better idea of what kind of suggestions would be
appropriate for helping you test it.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Techologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out

Lionel Draghi

Nov 30, 2005, 3:44:42 PM11/30/05
Marc A. Criley a écrit :

> I think you're going to have to describe a bit more what your tool does,
> so we can get a better idea of what kind of suggestions would be
> appropriate for helping you test it.

It checks that sources are conpliant with a description of this kind :
- GUI contains pkg_1, pkg_2
- DB contains pkg_3, pkg_4
- GUI is a layer over DB

It will then (for example) checks that pkg_3 is not using pkg_2.

My tests are not really much more complex than this example, and this is
why I am looking for real sources organized in true layers.

--
Lionel Draghi

Bobby D. Bryant

Nov 30, 2005, 3:57:42 PM11/30/05
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Lionel Draghi <Lionel.nos...@Ada-France.org> wrote:

> I wrote a tool to check architecture, and I wan't to test it on real
> projects.
> This is why I am looking for Ada (and Java/C/C++) sources that have a
> layered architecture, and describe it.
>
> Here is an example from GtkAda documentation :
>
> +---------------------------------------------+
>| Your Application |
> +---------------------------------------------+
>| GtkAda |
>| +-----------------------------+
>| | GTK |
>| +-------+-----------------------------+
>| | GDK |
> +-------+--------------+--+-------------------+
>| GLIB | | X-Window / Win32 |
> +----------------------+ +-------------------+
>
> I would apreciate something more simple (without bridging), but here is
> the idea.

The GtkAda page lists some applications that use it; you might look to
see if any of them give out their source.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Marco

Dec 11, 2005, 10:19:08 AM12/11/05
my suggestion:

To get started, synthetic test code is the way to go. After that,
"beta" release your tool so others can test it for you on real code and
provide feedback. Since you are releasing the tool as free software
then let others be your test team.

Mark

Lionel Draghi

Dec 11, 2005, 2:06:38 PM12/11/05
Marco a écrit :

> my suggestion:
>
> To get started, synthetic test code is the way to go.

I wrote a small tool to create Ada packages, that I use in my "make check".
It eases package creation with precise dependencies.

For example:

@create_pkg P1 spec -with P2 -with P3

will create:

with P2;
with P3;

-- created by Create_Pkg v1.0
package P1;
null;
end P1;

All my tests are based on those minimal packages, and my biggest test
only involve half of them.
This is why I don't feel comfortable to release something without at
least once real size testing.

> After that,
> "beta" release your tool so others can test it for you on real code and
> provide feedback. Since you are releasing the tool as free software
> then let others be your test team.

OK, but I want to reach a minimal useability level.
I'm not sure it's already the case, I have to think about it.

--
Lionel Draghi

Lionel Draghi

Dec 11, 2005, 5:07:47 PM12/11/05
> All my tests are based on those minimal packages, and my biggest test
> only involve half of them.
half a dozen of them