ee9, a GNU emulator of the EE KDF9

Bill Findlay

Aug 29, 2011, 10:27:39 PM8/29/11
Version 1.5w of ee9, my KDF9 emulator, is now generally available via:

<http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/emulation/emulator.html>

(Work back from that URL for more info.)

V1.5w implements a few bug fixes over V1.0v, adds some usability features,
and is based on an optimized compilation, so it is much faster than previous
releases.

But its most important novelty is that it is the first version to be made
available for MS Windows (XP/SP3 or later) as well as for Intel Linux, with
thanks to Bill Gallagher; for Intel Macs under Leopard, Snow Leopard and
Lion; and for PowerPC Macs under Leopard, with thanks to Mike Hore.

The Windows and Linux versions run in 32-bit mode.
The Mac versions run in 64-bit mode.

Ada relevance? It is written in Ada 2005, using GNAT GPL.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

comp.lang.php

Aug 30, 2011, 5:49:33 AM8/30/11

Wow! This is one of the first machines I used. I remember using
Algol60 (Jensen's device) punched cards

Ken Thomas

Bill Findlay

Aug 30, 2011, 6:39:45 AM8/30/11
On 30/08/2011 10:49, in article
4afdfcb4-c1c9-42f6...@g31g2000yqh.googlegroups.com,
"comp.lang.php" <k...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 3:27�am, Bill Findlay <yaldni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Version 1.5w of ee9, my KDF9 emulator, is now generally available via:
>>
>> � <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/emulation/emulator.html>

> Wow! This is one of the first machines I used. I remember using
> Algol60 (Jensen's device) punched cards
>
> Ken Thomas

Among others, an Algol program by Knuth, "GPS", which uses Jensen's device
heavily, is included in the distro, along with copies of the Whetstone Algol
Translator (compiler) and Controller (interpreter) to run it.

Jensen's device has yet to (re-)surface in Ada.
Parameterized expressions seem to be edging in that direct, though.
Perhaps on the agenda for Ada 60? 8-)

Dmitry A. Kazakov

Aug 30, 2011, 7:51:05 AM8/30/11

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Jensen%27s_Device#Ada

> Parameterized expressions seem to be edging in that direct, though.

Oh!

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

Bill Findlay

Aug 30, 2011, 8:32:31 AM8/30/11

On 30/08/2011 12:51, in article 1gw7bd73wia3k$.fsth1w5i...@40tude.net,

"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mai...@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:39:45 +0100, Bill Findlay wrote:
>
>> Jensen's device has yet to (re-)surface in Ada.
>
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Jensen%27s_Device#Ada

Jensen's device would be written more like this in Ada 60:

> procedure Jensen_Device is
>
> function Sum (
> X : in out Float;
> Lo,
> Hi : in Float;
> F : in Float with Parameter_Mode => By_Name -- 8-)
> )
> return Float is
> Temp : Float := 0.0;
> begin
> X := Lo;
> while X <= Hi loop
> Temp := Temp + F;
> X := X + 1.0;
> end loop;
> return Temp;
> end Sum;
>
> Y : Float;
>
> begin
> Put_Line (Float'Image (Sum (Y, 1.0, 100.0, 1.0 / Y)));
> end Jensen_Device;

Much neater!