Copyright discussion at Wikisource about Ada spec

Santiago Urueña

Nov 16, 2010, 7:10:09 PM11/16/10
Some Ada-related specifications are currently available at Wikisource,
namely the Steelman and Stoneman requirements:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Steelman_language_requirements
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Stoneman_requirements

A discussion just started related with the copyright status of these
documents, if they are under the Public Domain or are copyrighted by
the (now defunct) Ada Joint Program Office:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#Ada_and_PD-US

Please, participate in the discussion at the above wiki page if you
can help to understand the licensing issue of these documents.

Thanks in advance

Santi

jayvdb

Nov 18, 2010, 6:32:14 PM11/18/10

Thanks Santi.

I will also monitor this thread for any hints and tips.

If there are any additional Ada related documents which are
unambiguously public domain, or have been released under a 'free'
license, we can start adding those now, and create a 'portal'
dedicated to Ada.

Our definition of 'free' is described here:

http://freedomdefined.org

Once we have a body of free works about Ada, the Wikisource portal
_may_ contain links to non-free works about Ada. Wikisource does not
have clear guidance about linking to external (free or non-free)
documents. Our primary concern is we don't want to be a linkfarm to
spam or self-published rubbish, so guidance from the Ada community
about which documents should be included would be helpful.

Regards,
John Vandenberg

Adam Beneschan

Nov 18, 2010, 8:17:29 PM11/18/10
On Nov 16, 4:10 pm, Santiago Urueña <suru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some Ada-related specifications are currently available at Wikisource,
> namely the Steelman and Stoneman requirements:
>
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Steelman_language_requirementshttp://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Stoneman_requirements

> A discussion just started related with the copyright status of these
> documents, if they are under the Public Domain or are copyrighted by
> the (now defunct) Ada Joint Program Office:
>
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#Ada_and_PD-US
>
> Please, participate in the discussion at the above wiki page if you
> can help to understand the licensing issue of these documents.

This looks interesting:

http://www.cendi.gov/publications/04-8copyright.html

especially sections 3 and 4.

I don't feel like figuring out how to add a comment in wikisource, but
if anyone else thinks this is worthwhile please feel free to mention
it.

-- Adam