[Ann] new AVR-Ada release

Rolf

Feb 27, 2010, 11:07:53 AM2/27/10
We are proud to announce a new release of AVR-Ada, one of the first
GCC
based Ada compilers targeting 8-bit microcontrolers.

See the project documentation at

http://avr-ada.sourceforge.net/

This is a binary release for Windows and a source release for other
platforms. That means you get a working compiler on Windows and
patches, instructions, and a build script for building your own cross
compiler for other platforms (Linux). The run time system, the support
packages, and the sample programs are included in both distributions.
If you want to use AVR-Ada on Windows you first have to install
WinAVR-20100110.

The download is available at the green button on page

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avr-ada

If you have difficulties in building or using the compiler or you
want
to chat about a project, please join and use the mailing list at

Status
======

The AVR-Ada project makes available the gcc based Ada compiler GNAT
for the AVR 8-bit microcontrollers (it does not work for AVR32).

More specifically the project provides

- a GNAT compiler based on the existing AVR and Ada support in gcc
- a minimalistic Ada runtime system
- an extensiv and useful AVR specific support library
- support packages for accessing LCDs, Dallas' 1-wire sensors, or
the Sensirion humidity and temperature sensors.

The current release of AVR-Ada is V1.1. It is based on gcc-4.3.3.

The Ada run time system (RTS) is still not even a *run* time system.
It is more a compile time system :-). Most files in the RTS are only
needed at compile time. As a consequence we don't have support for
exceptions nor for tasking (multithreading).

There is extensive AVR specific support. Type and interface
definitions, timing routines, eeprom access, UART, and most
importantly the necessary port and interrupt definitions for most AVR
parts.

Some sample programs in the apps/ directory show how to use the
compiler
and the library.

Some applications that had been built using AVR-Ada:

- a data logger for a weather station
- a closed loop heating control system
- an astronomical "GoTo" mount for a telescope on an AVR90USB128
- a small robot based on the Asuro platform
- a limited IP stack with ARP, ICMP and UDP (no TCP yet)
- sample programs for the very popular Arduino platform

You are invited to have fun with AVR-Ada. For professional and safety
critical applications ask Adacore. They offer their well known support
also for a AVR cross compiler.

Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)

Feb 27, 2010, 11:46:06 AM2/27/10
Le Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:07:53 +0100, Rolf <rolf.eber...@gmx.net> a
écrit:

> We are proud to announce a new release of AVR-Ada, one of the first
> GCC
> based Ada compilers targeting 8-bit microcontrolers.
>
> See the project documentation at
>
> http://avr-ada.sourceforge.net/

Just wanted to say : Congratulations!

--
No-no, this isn't an oops ...or I hope (TM) - Don't blame me... I'm just
not lucky

Bryan

Feb 28, 2010, 12:09:21 PM2/28/10

This is just what I was looking for! I'll download it and give it a
try, I'm really looking forward to this.