AdaHome - A Persistent Problem

1 view

adaw...@sbcglobal.net

Apr 1, 2008, 11:35:41 AM4/1/08
The recent article by Mr. Bill in the Circuit Cellar included a reference
to www.AdaHome.com. This is an effectively dead site and it seems
that no one is able to get rid of it. Consequently, people are misled
into going there instead of to one of the sites that is kept current. Does
anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? Has Magnus, the
original author, vanished or is he simply angry about something
regarding Ada to the point that he is using this as some kind of
revenge?

Richard Riehle

Pascal Obry

Apr 1, 2008, 12:51:01 PM4/1/08
to adaw...@sbcglobal.net
adaw...@sbcglobal.net a écrit :

Don't know but here is our guy: http://www.linkedin.com/in/magnuskempe

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net
--|

Randy Brukardt

Apr 1, 2008, 3:19:28 PM4/1/08
<adaw...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

I believe it is the latter. He's rebuffed multiple attempts to take over or
even purchase the site from him. And he obviously is paying money to keep
the site up in its current form (probably not a lot, but surely more than
nothing). He rarely even responds to messages from Ada people.

People have been complaining about this for ten years, but it doesn't appear
that we can do anything other than to encourage people to remove as many
AdaHome links as possible from their web sites (so that its search engine
position drops). For one example, link to the real home of the Lovelace
tutorial, not the (old) copy on AdaHome.

Randy.

Steve

Apr 2, 2008, 10:20:25 PM4/2/08
"Randy Brukardt" <ra...@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message

> <adaw...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> The recent article by Mr. Bill in the Circuit Cellar included a reference
>> to www.AdaHome.com. This is an effectively dead site and it seems
>> that no one is able to get rid of it. Consequently, people are misled
>> into going there instead of to one of the sites that is kept current.
>> Does
>> anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? Has Magnus, the
>> original author, vanished or is he simply angry about something
>> regarding Ada to the point that he is using this as some kind of
>> revenge?
>
> I believe it is the latter. He's rebuffed multiple attempts to take over
> or
> even purchase the site from him. And he obviously is paying money to keep
> the site up in its current form (probably not a lot, but surely more than
> nothing). He rarely even responds to messages from Ada people.

Sounds like a challenge for some ambitious individual to make it more of a
nuisance for Magnus to keep the site alive than to take it down. Perhaps
giving him a flood of email requests to take the site down or turn it over
(perhaps automated). I don't normally condone such activity, but it appears
that his keeping the site up in its current state is malicious.

Regards,
Steve
(The Duck)

Georg Bauhaus

Apr 3, 2008, 6:32:04 AM4/3/08
Steve wrote:

> Sounds like a challenge for some ambitious individual to make it more of a
> nuisance for Magnus to keep the site alive than to take it down. Perhaps
> giving him a flood of email requests to take the site down or turn it over
> (perhaps automated). I don't normally condone such activity, but it appears
> that his keeping the site up in its current state is malicious.

Please, consider the effects. The site archives quite some
valuable material. And, one might even argue that when a link
does not work, it is information. A broken link traces changes
such as Ada 9X/95 resources being taken off the net elsewhere.
You can then at least try to find the resource---because you have
a name, a title, and so on.

The site offers some articles exclusively.
For example, there is an overview article by Tucker Taft that
briefly outlines enhancements that Ada 9X contributes to Ada 83,
with examples. The focus of the EE Times article from 1994 is on
Ada for embedded systems development. Its focal points let you
see clearly what Ada is all about. A remarkable quality, IMHO.

http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Papers/General/EE-Times-940606-Taft.html

Can you find this anywhere else?

And can't we just trust in today's "web users" capabilities?
Won't they see that Adahome.com is an old book on the
web book shelf, among others? Or is it that relevant readers prefer
not to use Google? Or do they read only what they are given?

christo...@eurocopter.com

Apr 3, 2008, 6:49:54 AM4/3/08
> http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Papers/General/EE-Times-940606-Taft....

> Can you find this anywhere else?

According to the copyright software, this can be copied anywhere. So
put it on a newer site wherever you like and announce the
availability: AdaPower, AdaWorld, somewhere else...

Georg Bauhaus

Apr 3, 2008, 7:48:47 AM4/3/08
christo...@eurocopter.com wrote:
>> http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Papers/General/EE-Times-940606-Taft....
>>
>> Can you find this anywhere else?
>
> According to the copyright software, this can be copied anywhere.

Copying is permitted in this case, and putting the article
on some other site can only help it to survive and be seen,
which is good.
However, Adahome.com displays rules about copyright of
submitted articles. Some articles themselves announce copyright,
others don't. The robots.txt also has some implications...

Randy Brukardt

Apr 3, 2008, 9:36:54 PM4/3/08
"Georg Bauhaus" <rm.tsoh.plus...@maps.futureapps.de> wrote in
message news:47f4b227$0$622$9b4e...@newsspool1.arcor-online.net...

> For example, there is an overview article by Tucker Taft that
> briefly outlines enhancements that Ada 9X contributes to Ada 83,
> with examples. The focus of the EE Times article from 1994 is on
> Ada for embedded systems development. Its focal points let you
> see clearly what Ada is all about. A remarkable quality, IMHO.
>
> http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Papers/General/EE-Times-940606-Taft.html
>
> Can you find this anywhere else?

At the request of the author, this article has been added to the archives of
the AdaIC:
http://archive.adaic.com/docs/reports/taft/eet-940606.html

So the answer is yes. ;-)

Randy.

Peter Hermann

Apr 4, 2008, 7:21:11 AM4/4/08
Randy Brukardt <ra...@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
> At the request of the author, this article has been added to the archives of
> the AdaIC:
> http://archive.adaic.com/docs/reports/taft/eet-940606.html

this link has been included now in
http://www.ihr.uni-stuttgart.de/forschung/ada/resources_on_ada/

the link
http://www.circuitcellar.com/archives/viewable/212-Ramirez/index.html
too, because of an important update in the statement:
An LRM, a complete user manual, and other reference
manuals are available at www.adaic.org.