Entities in HTML?

Ed Costello

Apr 8, 1994, 5:00:50 PM4/8/94
I have a document that started life as a BookMaster document and is
now about 80% converted to HTML format. One problem I've run into
is that the document made extensive use of symbols (entities in SGML
speak). I've been able to convert the symbol file to an entity file
and am now wondering if I should just imbed this in every file or if
there's a way to reference the file and have it snarfed up by a client
when it references the master file. Is there any way to do this or
should I just resolve all of the entities beforehand?

--

//name dd -ed costello
//email dd cost...@netcom.com

Jeffrey C. Ollie

Apr 8, 1994, 8:26:36 PM4/8/94
>>"Ed" == Ed Costello <cost...@netcom.com> writes:
Ed>
Ed> I have a document that started life as a BookMaster document and is
Ed> now about 80% converted to HTML format. One problem I've run into
Ed> is that the document made extensive use of symbols (entities in SGML
Ed> speak). I've been able to convert the symbol file to an entity file
Ed> and am now wondering if I should just imbed this in every file or if
Ed> there's a way to reference the file and have it snarfed up by a client
Ed> when it references the master file. Is there any way to do this or
Ed> should I just resolve all of the entities beforehand?

Resolve all of the entities beforehand. Most browsers do not understand the
general SGML entities and are mostly limited to the entities for foreign
characters found in ISOlat1. However, some browsers are gaining a better
understanding of SGML. I believe that the author of w3 has plans for general
SGML entities.
--
Jeffrey C. Ollie
jeffre...@uiowa.edu

William M. Perry

Apr 8, 1994, 9:26:24 PM4/8/94

If you mean my Emacs-w3, this has been in for a while (Aug. 2 1993
according to my changelog entry). Doesn't seem to have been broken
since then. :)

-Bill P.

Jeffrey C. Ollie

Apr 9, 1994, 3:24:35 AM4/9/94
>>"WP" == William M Perry <wmp...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
WP>
WP> jol...@grant.cs.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey C. Ollie) writes:
WP>>
WP>>
WP>> I believe that
WP>> the author of w3 has plans for general SGML entities.
WP>
WP> If you mean my Emacs-w3, this has been in for a while (Aug. 2 1993
WP> according to my changelog entry). Doesn't seem to have been broken
WP> since then. :)

I knew I had read _something_ in the docs about entities. Guess that
my memory failed me that time. Now if the rest of the browsers would
support it... ;-)

William M. Perry

Apr 9, 1994, 6:44:35 AM4/9/94
jol...@grant.cs.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey C. Ollie) writes:

>>>"WP" == William M Perry <wmp...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>WP>
>WP> jol...@grant.cs.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey C. Ollie) writes:
>WP>>
>WP>>
>WP>> I believe that
>WP>> the author of w3 has plans for general SGML entities.
>WP>
>WP> If you mean my Emacs-w3, this has been in for a while (Aug. 2 1993
>WP> according to my changelog entry). Doesn't seem to have been broken
>WP> since then. :)
>
>I knew I had read _something_ in the docs about entities. Guess that
>my memory failed me that time. Now if the rest of the browsers would
>support it... ;-)

Well, in all fairness, we discussed this with the TEI people at the
conference in Ireland, and it would be a %#!@ and half to do for the
normal libwww from what they said, so it might be a while.

That's what they get for using an inferior programming language/OS
(C/unix as opposed to elisp/emacs :)

Please not the newsgroups line, and trim as necessary.

-Bill P.