Apache 2 on Redhat linux 9: Upload Size Limit

Chris

Jul 16, 2003, 1:10:24 PM7/16/03
I am getting the following error when i try to upload files. Apache is
rejecting the file because it is bigger than a size limit.

Error Message:
Requested content-length of 24638629 is larger than the configured
limit of 524288,

Does anybody know how to change this limit?

Please mail c...@raindrop.co.uk

thanks
chris

Joshua Slive

Jul 16, 2003, 5:38:31 PM7/16/03
c...@raindrop.co.uk (Chris) wrote in message news:<bb9cc180.03071...@posting.google.com>...

> I am getting the following error when i try to upload files. Apache is
> rejecting the file because it is bigger than a size limit.
>
> Error Message:
> Requested content-length of 24638629 is larger than the configured
> limit of 524288,
>
> Does anybody know how to change this limit?

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody

Joshua.

Chris

Jul 17, 2003, 7:06:27 AM7/17/03
I did as you suggested, but that hasn't worked. I still get the same message

Requested content-length of 24638629 is larger than the configured limit of 524288,

I added the following entry to the httpd.conf

LimitRequestBody 100000000

Does anybody have any other ideas.

My Machine is running Red Hat Linux 9.

Joshua Slive

Jul 17, 2003, 12:40:48 PM7/17/03
> I did as you suggested, but that hasn't worked. I still get the same message
>
> Requested content-length of 24638629 is larger than the configured limit of 524288,

It is highly likely that this message is being generated by whatever
application is handling the upload. What is that?

Joshua.

Chris

Jul 18, 2003, 4:50:01 AM7/18/03

> > Requested content-length of 24638629 is larger than the configured limit of 524288,
>
> It is highly likely that this message is being generated by whatever
> application is handling the upload. What is that?
>
> Joshua.

That would be php. howver that isn't the issue. All it's upload limits
are set to way more than the uploaded file size.

thanks
chris

OptusNews

Aug 5, 2003, 10:35:29 PM8/5/03
Chris,

I am experiencing the same problem with Redhat 9. Im not sure if it is
version specific but I did the same thing with the same problem.

I am also using php, but from what I can see it is not even getting to my
php code.

Here are the code snips:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="val.php" method="post">
Send this file: <input name="attachfile" size="48" type="file" />
<input type="submit" value="Send File">
</form>

<?php
// In PHP earlier then 4.1.0, $HTTP_POST_FILES should be used instead of
$_FILES.
if (is_uploaded_file($_FILES['userfile']['tmp_name'])) {
copy($_FILES['userfile']['tmp_name'], "/var/www/html/snapsaway/files/" .
$_FILES['userfile']['name']);
} else {
echo "Possible file upload attack. Filename: " .
$_FILES['userfile']['name'];
}
?>

This is close copy to the PHP documentation.

Any ideas?

Matt

"Joshua Slive" <goo...@slive.ca> wrote in message

Andreas Paasch

Aug 6, 2003, 6:08:36 AM8/6/03
OptusNews wrote:

In php.ini there is a section about the limitation for uploaded files. You
might take a look at that.

/Andreas

--
Registeret Linux user #292411

OptusNews

Aug 7, 2003, 2:20:18 AM8/7/03
Thanks Andreas,

I have set that parameter to 200M, just for a test.

But it doesnt look like it even calls the php script, the apache server
traps it first.

"Andreas Paasch" <And...@Paasch.Net> wrote in message

OptusNews

Aug 7, 2003, 8:59:00 PM8/7/03
Guys,

I found the solution. Have to admit it was a fluke to find.

What I needed to do was setup the LimitRequestBody apache parameter as per

However the trick for RH9 is that this parameter is already specified in
another configuration file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf.

Set this to something large, and I think you will find it will works okay.

I uploaded a 50meg file no problems.

Hope this helps you.

"OptusNews" <chewb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message