Opera Pipelining

Barya

Sep 17, 2002, 6:18:19 AM9/17/02
Opera declares to support pipelining in its last versions.

But, after downloading the latest version (6.05) for windows,
I found out that the requests are sent out one by one, and not
pipelined.

Has anyone else seen that phenomenon and/or knows why or
how to enable pipelining?

Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer, Opera Software)

Sep 17, 2002, 8:09:32 AM9/17/02
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:18:19 +0200, "Barya" <ba...@flashnetworks.com>
wrote:

Opera does support pipelining, but it may have to put the brakes on,
or completely turns off, pipelining in a number of situations.

For example:

The default HTTP version to proxies is HTTP 1.0, because many
adbusters are not able to handle HTTP 1.1 or persistent connections.
This , of course, also disables piplining. There is a preference in
the Ini file to turn on HTTP 1.1.

Certain servers that claim to support HTTP 1.1 either does not support
persistent connections (but are sending headers as if they do), or is
not able to handle Opera's implementation of pipelining. In one
particular case we sent out 8 pipelined requests and got back 5
and #7 had disappeared from the queue.

Opera will attempt pipelining to any HTTP 1.1 server, except those we
already know can cause problems. We also have code in place to detect
most problems that can occur if the server is not able to handle
pipelining.

The best way to test pipelining is by loading a page with many images
(20+).

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Sep 17, 2002, 8:35:30 AM9/17/02
wrote:

>Opera declares to support pipelining in its last versions.

>But, after downloading the latest version (6.05) for windows,
>I found out that the requests are sent out one by one, and not
>pipelined.

You don't use a proxy, do you?

>Has anyone else seen that phenomenon and/or knows why or
>how to enable pipelining?

You've got more chance of a knowledgeable answer in Opera's own
newsgroups (news.opera.no), especially opera.tech.

--
.. it should look right, but that's no more than | Rijk van Geijtenbeek
finishing the paintwork on that wrecked car. If | mailto:ri...@iname.com