Make Files

Gary E. Learned

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Is anyone using 'make' to manage their site building? I've thought
about it a few times, and it seems like it would make sense as far as
building common pages and code includes.

Just a thought,
Ed

Patrick Mueller

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
Hi !

Yes, i'm using make for creating my site.
I write all my code by hand with an normal html-editor,
in this html-code i also use a preprocessor, so that i can use
e.g. includes, macros, conditions, etc. and then all the site is
maintained with gnumake.
This way i'm sure, that only the really new pages are made.

If u wanna know more, just contact me.

Many greetinx from germany
Patrick

--
Table-Tennis in the Police Sports Club Karlsruhe e.V.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pepino/psv.htm

Darin McGrew

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Gary E. Learned <lea...@iname.com> wrote:
> Is anyone using 'make' to manage their site building? I've thought
> about it a few times, and it seems like it would make sense as far as
> building common pages and code includes.

Yep. I use makefiles that define

make all run HTML preprocessor to create documents
make valid validate documents (depends on `make all`)
make install install documents (depends on `make validate`)

It works great.
--
Darin McGrew, mcg...@alumni.stanford.org, http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/

"The man who never makes mistakes never makes much of anything."
-- Waite Phillips

Amit Patel

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98
lea...@iname.com (Gary E. Learned) writes:

> Is anyone using 'make' to manage their site building? I've thought
> about it a few times, and it seems like it would make sense as far as
> building common pages and code includes.

Yeah, I'm using make and the C pre-processor (!!) for my pages,
although I admit that I'm not really doing a whole lot.

The C preprocessor lets me #include other files, which I use to
provide navigation links at the bottom of each page.

Here's my somewhat icky makefile:

SHELL = /bin/sh
DEST = $(shell echo *.web | sed -e 's@\.web@\.html@g')
DEPENDENCIES = $(shell echo *.web.h)

all: $(DEST)

%.html: %.web $(DEPENDENCIES)
D=`/usr/5bin/date +"%a %d %h 19%y"`; sed -e "s/'/\&apostrophe;/g" -e "s.//.\&slashslash;.g" $< >/tmp/amitp.webpage; gcc -x c -I . -C -E -P -undef /tmp/amitp.webpage | sed -e "s.&slashslash;.//.g" -e "s/&apostrophe;/'/g" -e "s/&date;/$$D/g" >$@; #rm /tmp/amitp.webpage
chmod a+r $@

simblob_size.dat: simblob.zip
/bin/csh -f ./calc_simblob_size.sh

games.html: games.web $(DEPENDENCIES) simblob_size.dat

interesting.web: interesting.txt
python interesting.py

Some comments:

DEST figures out what the source files are (*.web) and then changes
their extensions to *.html. Then the 'all' rule says that I want to
make all the html files.

To make a .html file from a .web file, I do some icky stuff:

a. Change apostrophes into &apostrophe; because the
C preprocessor doesn't like them. (It thinks they
are 'c'haracter literals, and wants them in pairs.)

b. Change // (common in URLs!) into &slashslash; because
the C preprocessor treats them as C++ comments, and
removes them. Oops!

c. Run the C preprocessor.

d. Change &slashslash; and &apostrophe; back.

e. Change &date; into the current date & time.

The other rules are specific to my pages. Whenever the downloadable
file (simblob.zip) changes, I want to recompute the size and produce
html to report the size in games.html. games.web will #include
simblob_size.dat. Also, interesting.web is itself generated by
interesting.py, which reads interesting.txt (a text file full of
links).

My pages are at http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/
and the *.web files are readable. Feel free to steal parts of my
Makefile for your own use.

- Amit

--
Amit J Patel, Computer Science Department, Stanford University
``Parkinson's Other Law: Perfection is achieved only