Help with Netscape Jpeg animations

cardio

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Hello,
sometimes you find a site that has animations that are made with
files that contain a sequence of Jpeg images.
Is there a program that lets me create (and extract) such animations
given a list of jpeg files ?

Thanks for your help,
Sam

Tom Lane

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

car...@orsola.med.unibo.it (cardio) writes:
> sometimes you find a site that has animations that are made with
> files that contain a sequence of Jpeg images.

There's no such thing as an animated JPEG. What you saw was either
an animated GIF, or a progressive JPEG. Progressive JPEGs aren't
usable for general-purpose animation, because the successive scans
aren't independent --- they can only refine a single image from blurry
to clear.

(This ignores motion JPEG, which isn't a standard and isn't supported
by any browser I know of.)

If you need a progressive-JPEG-making program, see the JPEG FAQ at
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/jpeg-faq/top.html
If you need an animated GIF maker, there's another FAQ posted regularly
in this newsgroup that covers that area.

regards, tom lane
organizer, Independent JPEG Group

Tom Lane

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

be...@artcomic.com (Bebe Williams) writes:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:37:35 GMT, t...@netcom.com (Tom Lane) wrote:
>> There's no such thing as an animated JPEG. What you saw was either
>> an animated GIF, or a progressive JPEG.

> Actually, I made an animated JPEG (maybe you can't call it a JPEG,
> but) I made one in Gif Construction Kit. I made my mulitple Jpeg
> images with the usual commands and stuff and when I was finished, I
> save the whole thing as a GIF.

In other words, you made an animated *GIF*.

Sheesh.

Torched

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Bebe Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:37:35 GMT, t...@netcom.com (Tom Lane) wrote:
>
> >There's no such thing as an animated JPEG. What you saw was either
> >an animated GIF, or a progressive JPEG. Progressive JPEGs aren't
> >usable for general-purpose animation, because the successive scans
> >aren't independent --- they can only refine a single image from blurry
> >to clear.
>
> Actually, I made an animated JPEG (maybe you can't call it a JPEG,
> but) I made one in Gif Construction Kit. I made my mulitple Jpeg
> images with the usual commands and stuff and when I was finished, I
> save the whole thing as a GIF. So, I guess you can't call it a JPEG
> animation....but the images inside the structure says they are all
> JPEGS. I haven't tried unfolding them from the save to see what
> happens.

Nope. It translated the JPEGs to GIF frames, dithering them down.

Which would not be the way to go. Because, JPEG, being lossy, is going
to be the worst possible file/compression size when transfered to GIFs.

Good idea though. Not calling you down on it. But I'd reccomend going
from a losless format to GIF.

-Benjamin Hill
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~bhill

Bebe Williams

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

>Sheesh is right, an animated gif, probably not.......it is saved as a
>JPG file and it does animate in Netscape. Everything about this is a
>JPG except for the header with the liar info. JPGs were used to make
>the animation and the file is saved as a JPG.
>
>The image can be viewed by clicking on the bottom link of this page:
>http://www.artcomic.com

I meant to say that the first time I saved the images as a gif, but I
made another fresh from the start animation and saved the second one
as a JPG (which is the one on view).

Mr. Bebe Williams
____ _ _____ / /_ _____ ____ ____ ___ (_) _____ _____
/ __ `/ / ___// __// ___// __ \ / __ `__ \ / / / ___/ / ___/
/ /_/ / / / / /_ / /__ / /_/ // / / / / // / / /__ (__ )
\__,_/ /_/ \__/ \___/ \____//_/ /_/ /_//_/ \___/ /____/
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(()

Daily Comics Syndicate for the Internet since Feb. 1995
http://www.artcomic.com On-Line Comic Books, too

Guido Vollbeding

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

cardio wrote:

> Hello,

> sometimes you find a site that has animations that are made with
> files that contain a sequence of Jpeg images.
> Is there a program that lets me create (and extract) such animations
> given a list of jpeg files ?

I think there's no such thing like an "animated jpeg" format.
But there are mechanisms like the "Auto-Refresh" feature in
the HTTP protocol which have similar effects.

A good example is the german "Online-TV" project from the
TV magazine TV-today under

http://www.tvtoday.de:9600/onlinetv/TVframeset.hbs

Yes, you can watch 'realtime' there what's currently running on
german tv-channels. These are simply single captured JPEG files
with automatic refresh. You can set the refresh rate under
"Einstellung" (preferences) to 5 seconds or below if your
connection is sufficiently fast. Quite amazing!

If you press the right mouse button on the screen frame
you will be able to save the current pic, which is actually
a JPEG with constant filename (channel-name.jpg).

Regards,
Guido

Bebe Williams

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 02:24:43 GMT, t...@netcom.com (Tom Lane) wrote:

>be...@artcomic.com (Bebe Williams) writes:
>> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:37:35 GMT, t...@netcom.com (Tom Lane) wrote:
>>> There's no such thing as an animated JPEG. What you saw was either
>>> an animated GIF, or a progressive JPEG.
>

>> Actually, I made an animated JPEG (maybe you can't call it a JPEG,
>> but) I made one in Gif Construction Kit. I made my mulitple Jpeg
>> images with the usual commands and stuff and when I was finished, I
>> save the whole thing as a GIF.
>

>In other words, you made an animated *GIF*.
>
>Sheesh.

Sheesh is right, an animated gif, probably not.......it is saved as a

JPG file and it does animate in Netscape. Everything about this is a
JPG except for the header with the liar info. JPGs were used to make
the animation and the file is saved as a JPG.

The image can be viewed by clicking on the bottom link of this page:
http://www.artcomic.com

Lanny Chambers

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

> >In other words, you made an animated *GIF*.
> >
> >Sheesh.
>
> Sheesh is right, an animated gif, probably not.......it is saved as a
> JPG file and it does animate in Netscape. Everything about this is a
> JPG except for the header with the liar info. JPGs were used to make
> the animation and the file is saved as a JPG.
>
> The image can be viewed by clicking on the bottom link of this page:
> http://www.artcomic.com

You can name it "com.jpg" if you wish, but it's still a 4-frame GIF89a
file. And it's semi-broken, too--it does not appear to conform to the GIF
standard, as I had to try three different GIF animation utilities before I
found one that would open it.

Lanny Chambers (crea...@inlink.com) St. Louis, USA
Visit the Hummingbird Page: <http://www.derived.com/~lanny/hummers>

Bebe Williams

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:37:35 GMT, t...@netcom.com (Tom Lane) wrote:

>There's no such thing as an animated JPEG. What you saw was either

>an animated GIF, or a progressive JPEG. Progressive JPEGs aren't
>usable for general-purpose animation, because the successive scans
>aren't independent --- they can only refine a single image from blurry
>to clear.

Actually, I made an animated JPEG (maybe you can't call it a JPEG,

but) I made one in Gif Construction Kit. I made my mulitple Jpeg
images with the usual commands and stuff and when I was finished, I

save the whole thing as a GIF. So, I guess you can't call it a JPEG
animation....but the images inside the structure says they are all
JPEGS. I haven't tried unfolding them from the save to see what
happens.

Oh, and the animation pretty much sucks, JPEGS animate kinda bad using
this method.

Jani Perttilä

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

One can use javascript to create fluid jpeg animations too..
lot more space effective than GIF anims if you have to use
the same frame more than once.

-Jani

Royal E. Frazier Jr.

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

be...@artcomic.com (Bebe Williams) wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:37:35 GMT, t...@netcom.com (Tom Lane) wrote:

>>There's no such thing as an animated JPEG.

>Actually, I made an animated JPEG (maybe you can't call it a JPEG,

>but) I made one in Gif Construction Kit. I made my mulitple Jpeg
>images with the usual commands and stuff and when I was finished, I
>save the whole thing as a GIF.

>Oh, and the animation pretty much sucks, JPEGS animate kinda bad using
>this method.
GIFs are limited to 256 unique colors per image. GIF Construction Set
will automatically reduce the number of colors down to 256 if you
insert an image that contains more.

GIF Coinstruction set also has bugs that introduces backgroud color
noise into images in the GIF stream. I *highly* recommend using
LViewPro to reduce and convert images down to 256-or-less color GIFs
(non-interlaced) before bringing them into GIF Construction Set or
most other DOS-WIndows based GIF Animation Constrcution packages.

Royal Frazier
roy...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/royalef/royal.htm
Home of the GIF Animation on the WWW Site

Greg Berigan

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96
>On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 02:24:43 GMT, t...@netcom.com (Tom Lane) wrote:

>>In other words, you made an animated *GIF*.
>>
>>Sheesh.

>Sheesh is right, an animated gif, probably not.......it is saved as a
>JPG file and it does animate in Netscape. Everything about this is a
>JPG except for the header with the liar info. JPGs were used to make
>the animation and the file is saved as a JPG.

The file was saved as a GIF. Just because the filename ends in ".JPG"
doesn't mean that the file IS a JPEG. Filenames and their name extenders
have absolutely nothing to do with what format of the file is. It would be
the same as if I took a GIF file and named it "not-a-gif.PICT" and then
claimed that the browsers not only support the PICT format but can also
animate them.

If it was just "the header with the liar info" then you should be able to
replace that header with a true JPEG header and still be able to display
it. But JPEG and GIF use completely different compression routines, so it
won't work. Therefore it is NOT a JPEG, it is a GIF.

Indeed, the browser should be choking on that GIF because the server
provides the MIME type that says it is a JPEG. The browser is just being
nice in realizing you made a mistake in naming the file and displays the
image even when it is not what your server is purporting it to be.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ANIMATED JPEG!

--
_-<#)-=# http://cse.unl.edu/~gberigan/War-of-the-Worlds.html
___/___