Marquee

Rich Sagall

May 14, 2006, 12:06:39 PM5/14/06
I have a marquee that works fine. However, I want the same message to
repeat over and over. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Rich Sagall
http://www.needymeds.com

Jukka K. Korpela

May 14, 2006, 12:14:03 PM5/14/06
rich....@pobox.com (Rich Sagall) wrote:

> I have a marquee that works fine.

No you don't.

> However, I want the same message to repeat over and over. How do I do that?

By adding the attribute loop="-1". The bogosity will then be even more
obvious.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

David E. Ross

May 14, 2006, 8:14:32 PM5/14/06
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> rich....@pobox.com (Rich Sagall) wrote:
>
>> I have a marquee that works fine.
>
> No you don't.
>
>> However, I want the same message to repeat over and over. How do I do that?
>
> By adding the attribute loop="-1". The bogosity will then be even more
> obvious.

"Bogosity"?? Ooo, I love it. I'm going to add it to words I must use,
along with "pfumpf" (make statements that seem to mean something but are
actually meaningless, "talk through your nose") and "kerfuffle"
(brouhaha).

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

ironcorona

May 15, 2006, 1:33:11 AM5/15/06
Rich Sagall wrote:
> I have a marquee that works fine. However, I want the same message to
> repeat over and over. How do I do that?

A marquee! Oh for the love of all that's... Get rid of it. Your site
has a DTD specifying HTML 3.2. Where in the spec do you find the tag
<marquee>?

It doesn't exist. It's an idiotic Microsoft proprietary tag that was
abolished in '95 or '96.

Something similar is now part of the working draft of the CSS3 box model
module but hopefully won't make it to the recommendation.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee

People find flashing or moving text on web pages to be annoying and
distracting.

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

phil-new...@ipal.net

May 15, 2006, 12:44:54 PM5/15/06
On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:33:11 +0800 ironcorona <iron....@gmail.com> wrote:

| Rich Sagall wrote:
|> I have a marquee that works fine. However, I want the same message to
|> repeat over and over. How do I do that?
|
| A marquee! Oh for the love of all that's... Get rid of it. Your site
| has a DTD specifying HTML 3.2. Where in the spec do you find the tag
| <marquee>?

Strict?

| It doesn't exist. It's an idiotic Microsoft proprietary tag that was
| abolished in '95 or '96.
|
| Something similar is now part of the working draft of the CSS3 box model
| module but hopefully won't make it to the recommendation.
|
| http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee

Standards should be about HOW to convey certain information. They should
not make judgements about whether the information is what a subset of
people actually like.

| People find flashing or moving text on web pages to be annoying and
| distracting.

Since your strict conforming browser will ignore it, why worry?

ironcorona

May 15, 2006, 2:26:00 PM5/15/06
phil-new...@ipal.net wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:33:11 +0800 ironcorona <iron....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> | Rich Sagall wrote:
> |> I have a marquee that works fine. However, I want the same message to
> |> repeat over and over. How do I do that?
> |
> | A marquee! Oh for the love of all that's... Get rid of it. Your site
> | has a DTD specifying HTML 3.2. Where in the spec do you find the tag
> | <marquee>?
>
> Strict?

There is no strict in the html 3.2 DTD's
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#dtd

> | It doesn't exist. It's an idiotic Microsoft proprietary tag that was
> | abolished in '95 or '96.
> |
> | Something similar is now part of the working draft of the CSS3 box model
> | module but hopefully won't make it to the recommendation.
> |
> | http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee
>
> Standards should be about HOW to convey certain information. They should
> not make judgements about whether the information is what a subset of
> people actually like.

<marquee> was never a part of any of the W3 standards.

> | People find flashing or moving text on web pages to be annoying and
> | distracting.
>
> Since your strict conforming browser will ignore it, why worry?

For interoperability modern browsers will display <marquee> as well as
<blink>.

phil-new...@ipal.net

May 16, 2006, 5:42:58 PM5/16/06
On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:26:00 +0800 ironcorona <iron....@gmail.com> wrote:

|> | It doesn't exist. It's an idiotic Microsoft proprietary tag that was
|> | abolished in '95 or '96.
|> |
|> | Something similar is now part of the working draft of the CSS3 box model
|> | module but hopefully won't make it to the recommendation.
|> |
|> | http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee
|>
|> Standards should be about HOW to convey certain information. They should
|> not make judgements about whether the information is what a subset of
|> people actually like.
|
| <marquee> was never a part of any of the W3 standards.

But what's the _real_ reasons you dislike it so? Is it the same as mine?

|> | People find flashing or moving text on web pages to be annoying and
|> | distracting.
|>
|> Since your strict conforming browser will ignore it, why worry?
|
| For interoperability modern browsers will display <marquee> as well as
| <blink>.

Mark Parnell

May 16, 2006, 6:57:35 PM5/16/06
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
<phil-new...@ipal.net> declared in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:

[marquee]

> But what's the _real_ reasons you dislike it so? Is it the same as mine?

What information do you have that is not important enough to
have a place on the screen at all times, but is important enough that a
person will wait until it appears again if they missed it?

--
Mark Parnell
My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

ironcorona

May 16, 2006, 10:51:08 PM5/16/06
phil-new...@ipal.net wrote:

> |> |
> |> |

> |> Standards should be about HOW to convey certain information. They should
> |> not make judgements about whether the information is what a subset of
> |> people actually like.
> |
> | <marquee> was never a part of any of the W3 standards.
>
> But what's the _real_ reasons you dislike it so? Is it the same as mine?

Honestly, I don't like it because it's annoying. It's just *nice* to
know that it's not a standard too.

> |> Since your strict conforming browser will ignore it, why worry?
> |
> | For interoperability modern browsers will display <marquee> as well as
> | <blink>.

I'd also like to see <foo> and <bar> then it will break everyone's
examples and everyone looking at the archives in the future will be
confused.

phil-new...@ipal.net

May 17, 2006, 1:37:12 AM5/17/06
On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:57:35 +1000 Mark Parnell <webm...@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote:
| Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
| <phil-new...@ipal.net> declared in
| comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:
|
| [marquee]
|> But what's the _real_ reasons you dislike it so? Is it the same as mine?
|
| What information do you have that is not important enough to
| have a place on the screen at all times, but is important enough that a
| person will wait until it appears again if they missed it?

Why does it need to be important information? I've seen no requirement in
W3C standards that says (all of the) information (content) must be important.

Mark Parnell

May 17, 2006, 2:04:25 AM5/17/06
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
<phil-new...@ipal.net> declared in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:

> Why does it need to be important information?

Why else would you be trying to draw attention to it? Any movement is
going to distract from everything else on the page, so by inference it
must logically be the most important thing on the page.

phil-new...@ipal.net

May 17, 2006, 1:50:12 AM5/17/06
On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:51:08 +0800 ironcorona <iron....@gmail.com> wrote:
| phil-new...@ipal.net wrote:

|> |> |
|> |> |

|> |
|> | <marquee> was never a part of any of the W3 standards.
|>
|> But what's the _real_ reasons you dislike it so? Is it the same as mine?
|
| Honestly, I don't like it because it's annoying. It's just *nice* to
| know that it's not a standard too.

I don't like it, either. But I do not see that as a reason to deny it
being a standard between those who want to offer that effect, and those
who want to see it. By making it a standard, it's easier for me to
filter it out if I choose to implement a means to do so. Otherwise the
parties trying to do this will find some hack to do it that technically
follows the standards, syntactically, but is likely to be non-trivial
for a filter to detect and remove it (e.g. Javascript or animated GIFs).
And some of those solutions could end up being worse in other ways, too
(e.g. the animated GIF taking excessive bandwidth).

marquee { display:none; }

Whether it should be HTML or be CSS is something else. I suspect it
might make more sense to take the content of the marquee and let CSS
present it as moving, likely in a smaller box than it would otherwise
need. But that's fine as long as there is a syntactic way to detect
it and defeat it.

* { marquee-motion:none; }

|> |
|> | For interoperability modern browsers will display <marquee> as well as
|> | <blink>.

| I'd also like to see <foo> and <bar> then it will break everyone's
| examples and everyone looking at the archives in the future will be
| confused.

<smiley>

Mark Parnell

May 17, 2006, 2:18:22 AM5/17/06
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
<phil-new...@ipal.net> declared in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:

> * { marquee-motion:none; }

If you use Firefox, add this to your user style sheet:

marquee {
-moz-binding : none !important;
display : block;
height : auto !important;
}

There are probably similar solutions for other browsers.

phil-new...@ipal.net

May 17, 2006, 5:39:00 PM5/17/06
On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:04:25 +1000 Mark Parnell <webm...@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote:
| Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
| <phil-new...@ipal.net> declared in
| comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:
|
|> Why does it need to be important information?
|
| Why else would you be trying to draw attention to it? Any movement is
| going to distract from everything else on the page, so by inference it
| must logically be the most important thing on the page.

Maybe the intent is to have it occupy less space than it's full content
because there isn't any need to see it all at once, like a rotation of
links. Of course if you want to see all the links, you can override te
author's default presentation and use your own. That is, of course, if
the author followed web standards. If there is no standard for it, how
could she?

phil-new...@ipal.net

May 17, 2006, 5:42:34 PM5/17/06
On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:18:22 +1000 Mark Parnell <webm...@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote:
| Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
| <phil-new...@ipal.net> declared in
| comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:
|
|> * { marquee-motion:none; }
|
| If you use Firefox, add this to your user style sheet:
|
| marquee {
| -moz-binding : none !important;
| display : block;
| height : auto !important;
| }
|
| There are probably similar solutions for other browsers.

But, if you force everyone to NOT use the <marquee> element, by making
sure browsers get more strict, then they may find other ways in which
no one's CSS could easily block it. The point is, there are sufficient
numbers of users of it that it should become standardized, if for no
other reason than to make it all easier to suppress.