IE 8, <object>, PNG support and MIME type

GTalbot

Mar 26, 2009, 2:01:50 PM3/26/09
[followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]

Hello,

I am trying to get IE Team to fix a bug regarding <object> and PNG
image. IE Team is not able to reproduce the problem. So, I am looking
for people to validate the problem.

With IE 8 final release (build 18702), please just visit

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/object-native-support-png-mimetype.html

Expected results: a PNG image (200px wide, 100px tall) of green text
saying "Your browser PASSED this test"

Actual results in IE 8 final release build 18702: "Your browser FAILED
this test. What you are actually reading is the alternate content!"

and then just report in this thread
- what happens (actual or expected result? or something else)
- what is your configuration regarding handling of png file type:
in Explorer, Tools/Folder Options/File Type tab/ and there maybe an
entry for PNG file extension, so if/which software is supposed to open
PNG file type. Eg, in my case, PNG file extension is handled, is
opened by "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
- etc.. any useful details you think should be known to IE Team

More details on such bug:
bug 389191: <object> does not support natively PNG image if content-
type (MIME type) is not specified
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=389191
( http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/#bug153 )

[followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]

regards, Gérard
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 48 bugs so far
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/

RoseW

Mar 27, 2009, 12:38:05 AM3/27/09

"GTalbot" <news...@gtalbot.org> wrote in message
[...]

Fails for me on an Xppro 64bit viewed in Internet Explorer 8 with no addons
(Your message browser Failed...alternate content appeared)
Png images are opened with Faststone Image Viewer
Rose Weir

Neredbojias

Mar 27, 2009, 1:05:15 AM3/27/09
On 26 Mar 2009, GTalbot <news...@gtalbot.org> wrote:

> I am trying to get IE Team to fix a bug regarding <object> and PNG
> image. IE Team is not able to reproduce the problem. So, I am looking
> for people to validate the problem.
>
> With IE 8 final release (build 18702), please just visit
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/object-native-supp
> ort-png-mimetype.html
>
> Expected results: a PNG image (200px wide, 100px tall) of green text
> saying "Your browser PASSED this test"
>
> Actual results in IE 8 final release build 18702: "Your browser
> FAILED this test. What you are actually reading is the alternate
> content!"
>
> and then just report in this thread
> - what happens (actual or expected result? or something else)
> - what is your configuration regarding handling of png file type:
> in Explorer, Tools/Folder Options/File Type tab/ and there maybe an
> entry for PNG file extension, so if/which software is supposed to
> open PNG file type. Eg, in my case, PNG file extension is handled, is
> opened by "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
> - etc.. any useful details you think should be known to IE Team

Well, I got the "passed" version, same build. Irfanview handles my
.png's. ???

Anyway, a bug I hit is in css hover. Here's a live demo:

http://www.neredbojias.org/indexTST.php

- Click the "hover" button in upper right corner (to activate hovering)
then hover over the list items and see what happens. Markup is valid
and system works in IE 7, Firefox, Safari, and more-or-less in Opera
(machanics probs there). Also works in IE 8 "compatibility mode".

Dunno if this has been previously addressed but I think it's definitely
a bug.

--
Neredbojias
People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

dorayme

Mar 27, 2009, 1:26:47 AM3/27/09
In article <gqhlbo$l6d$1...@news.motzarella.org>,
"RoseW" <wd...@nshurontel.on.ca> wrote:

> "GTalbot" <news...@gtalbot.org> wrote in message
> [followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get IE Team to fix a bug regarding <object> and PNG
> image. IE Team is not able to reproduce the problem. So, I am looking
> for people to validate the problem.
>
> With IE 8 final release (build 18702), please just visit
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/object-native-support-png-
> mimetype.html
>
> Expected results: a PNG image (200px wide, 100px tall) of green text
> saying "Your browser PASSED this test"
>
> Actual results in IE 8 final release build 18702: "Your browser FAILED
> this test. What you are actually reading is the alternate content!

I expect you might know that browsershots report a passed result:

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/c3l47v>

They report:

Browser: MSIE 8.0
Engine: MSIE 8.0
Factory: vm-fab-908-02
Hardware: VMWare
Operating system: Windows XP

--
dorayme

cwdjrxyz

Mar 27, 2009, 6:10:29 AM3/27/09
On Mar 26, 1:01 pm, GTalbot <newsgr...@gtalbot.org> wrote:
> [followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get IE Team to fix a bug regarding <object> and PNG
> image. IE Team is not able to reproduce the problem. So, I am looking
> for people to validate the problem.
>
> With IE 8 final release (build 18702), please just visit
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/object-native-sup...

> Expected results: a PNG image (200px wide, 100px tall) of green text
> saying "Your browser PASSED this test"
>
> Actual results in IE 8 final release build 18702: "Your browser FAILED
> this test. What you are actually reading is the alternate content!"
>
> and then just report in this thread
> - what happens (actual or expected result? or something else)
> - what is your configuration regarding handling of png file type:
> in Explorer, Tools/Folder Options/File Type tab/ and there maybe an
> entry for PNG file extension, so if/which software is supposed to open
> PNG file type. Eg, in my case, PNG file extension is handled, is
> opened by "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
> - etc.. any useful details you think should be known to IE Team
>
> More details on such bug:
> bug 389191: <object> does not support natively PNG image if content-
> type (MIME type) is not specifiedhttps://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackI...
> (http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/#bug153)
>
> [followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]

I do not have IE8 yet. However I do notice you name a few browsers
that pass the test on the test page. Browsers that pass the test also
include:
Flock 1.2.7;
Safari for Windows 3.2.1;
Amaya 8.1b (a really old browser);

MSNTV viewer 2.8(build 20). This is a simulator for the very old MSNTV
(WEBTV) set top box that uses a Bowser browser. Some of these old
boxes are still in use. The newer MSNTV2 box uses a watered down IE6
browser.

My IE7 browser is a slightly modified one fom my ISP called the ATT/
Yahoo DSL browser. At first a white box with some border came up.
After many seconds the QT icon(large blue Q) came up, and shortly
thereafter the message in green came up. Thus your test works if you
wait long enough.

GTalbot

Mar 27, 2009, 7:54:17 PM3/27/09
On 27 mar, 00:38, "RoseW" <w...@nshurontel.on.ca> wrote:
> "GTalbot" <newsgr...@gtalbot.org> wrote in message

> [followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get IE Team to fix a bug regarding <object> and PNG
> image. IE Team is not able to reproduce the problem. So, I am looking
> for people to validate the problem.
>
> With IE 8 final release (build 18702), please just visit
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/object-native-sup...

> Expected results: a PNG image (200px wide, 100px tall) of green text
> saying "Your browser PASSED this test"
>
> Actual results in IE 8 final release build 18702: "Your browser FAILED
> this test. What you are actually reading is the alternate content!"
>
> and then just report in this thread
> - what happens (actual or expected result? or something else)
> - what is your configuration regarding handling of png file type:
> in Explorer, Tools/Folder Options/File Type tab/ and there maybe an
> entry for PNG file extension, so if/which software is supposed to open
> PNG file type. Eg, in my case, PNG file extension is handled, is
> opened by "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
> - etc.. any useful details you think should be known to IE Team
>
> Fails for me on an Xppro 64bit  viewed in Internet Explorer 8 with no addons
> (Your message browser Failed...alternate content appeared)
> Png images are opened with Faststone Image Viewer
> Rose Weir

Thank you Rose. Your feedback and feedback of others kind of support
the hypothesis that IE 8 does not entirely or perfectly support
*_natively_* PNG. My hypothesis is not solid but it relies on these
related documents:

"
Windows has the following information about this file type. This page
will help you find software needed to open your file.
File Type: Portable Network Graphics Image file
File Extension: .png
"
http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?Ext=PNG

"4. Q: I used to be able to open these files? What happened? Why can't
Windows open them now?"
http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/faq.asp

Others before you and besides you (see bug 389191) could not see the
image with IE 8 betas when trying the testcase.

GTalbot

Mar 27, 2009, 8:15:02 PM3/27/09

On 27 mar, 01:05, Neredbojias <neredboj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 Mar 2009, GTalbot <newsgr...@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>

> Well, I got the "passed" version, same build.

Thank you for your feedback.

> Irfanview handles my
> .png's.  ???
>
> Anyway, a bug I hit is in css hover.  Here's a live demo:
>
> http://www.neredbojias.org/indexTST.php
>
> - Click the "hover" button in upper right corner (to activate hovering)
> then hover over the list items and see what happens.  Markup is valid
> and system works in IE 7, Firefox, Safari, and more-or-less in Opera
> (machanics probs there).  Also works in IE 8 "compatibility mode".
>
> Dunno if this has been previously addressed but I think it's definitely
> a bug.

Neredbojias,

You may want to know that I visited your site a few times when seeking
bugs in IE 8 betas and it was useful. I remember your planet Mars
webpage.

Regarding your indexTST.php, hovering list items, I get the same
results in IE 8 final release build 18702 and in Firefox 3.0.7 which
is miniatures of webpages at top-right corner of document box.

After a closer examination (more hovering of list-items), I can notice
a margin collapsing between a list-item and list. I can not reproduce
the issue with steps to reproduce but I have taken screenshots of the
buggy behavior (with collapsing and without collapsing). There is a
guillotine effect occuring when hovering those reactive list-items. I
may file this later at IE beta feedback... very much tired these days
and I have zero reward, retribution for reporting bugs at IE beta
feedback, you know...

Regarding your hover bug, you may want to read this precise comment
(because I could reproduce it and it is the same type of guillotine
effect, also involving a list and list-item):

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/03/19/internet-explorer-8-final-available-now.aspx#9502709
Steps:
load http://www.shorewall.net/Shorewall-perl.html#DownSide
then text-select/highligh with the mouse the list or around the list
of item "5.The 'refresh' command is now similar to restart with the
exceptions that:"
and you'll see margin collapse between the last item and the paragraph
starting with "With the shell-based compiler, extension scripts were
copied into (...)"

Anyway... you're a bit off-topic here :)

GTalbot

Mar 27, 2009, 8:19:30 PM3/27/09
On 27 mar, 01:26, dorayme <doraymeRidT...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <gqhlbo$l6...@news.motzarella.org>,
>

>  "RoseW" <w...@nshurontel.on.ca> wrote:
> > "GTalbot" <newsgr...@gtalbot.org> wrote in message

> > [followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I am trying to get IE Team to fix a bug regarding <object> and PNG
> > image. IE Team is not able to reproduce the problem. So, I am looking
> > for people to validate the problem.
>
> > With IE 8 final release (build 18702), please just visit
>
> >http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/object-native-sup...

> > mimetype.html
>
> > Expected results: a PNG image (200px wide, 100px tall) of green text
> > saying "Your browser PASSED this test"
>
> > Actual results in IE 8 final release build 18702: "Your browser FAILED
> > this test. What you are actually reading is the alternate content!
>
> I expect you might know that browsershots report a passed result:
>
> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/c3l47v>
>
> They report:
>
> Browser: MSIE 8.0
> Engine: MSIE 8.0
> Factory: vm-fab-908-02
> Hardware: VMWare
> Operating system: Windows XP
>
> --
> dorayme

Dorayme,

yes, I know that but the thing is real web authors often use an image
manipulation software (or image viewer software) and sometimes they
set/register/associate file type/extension with such software. The
question is if that can interfere in a case like mine.

Browsershots.org use (os and browser) default settings. I believe IE
team does the same... and for some tests, it may not reveal what would
be useful to reveal... just like in a case like here.

GTalbot

Mar 27, 2009, 8:27:25 PM3/27/09

Hello Cwdjrxyz,

It's really IE 8 that I am interested in. If Gecko-based browsers,
Webkit-based browsers, Presto-based browsers all pass my testcase (and
another one at
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~sairwas/object-test/images/png3.html ),
then I don't understand why IE 8 betas and IE 8 final release still do
not pass, do not succeed on my system (and on few other people's
system) too.

Besides, IE Team states that they get expected results with IE 8 final
release when trying the 2 mentioned testcases.

Cwdjrxyz, can you try and report your results in this thread when you
can use IE 8 final release?

cwdjrxyz

Mar 27, 2009, 9:25:15 PM3/27/09

I have a new computer being built to be delivered near the end of
April. I likely will end up with IE8 on it after the US download site
is offering it as a final version and keep the old computer as a
backup with IE7 left on it. The new computer will use the relatively
new Intel Core i7 processor along with 6 GB Tri-Channel memory and 1
TB of Raid 1 HD(uses 2 x 1TB SATA 7200 HDs), There also will be dual
optical drives, one of which will burn Blu-ray discs. Since DL Blu-ray
discs hold around 50 GB, I needed a computer that would process Blu-
ray discs in a reasonable time while still doing a few other things at
the same time without much slowdown. When the IE8 is finally
installed, it likely will also be modified slightly by the ISPs ATT/
Yahoo DSL browser as is the case for the IE7 on the old computer. I
don't use IE much, but I do need it to make sure my web pages will
work properly on it. So it may be a few weeks before I can check a
final version of IE8.

GTalbot

Mar 28, 2009, 2:16:26 AM3/28/09
> Fails for me on an Xppro 64bit  viewed in Internet Explorer 8 with no addons
> (Your message browser Failed...alternate content appeared)
> Png images are opened with Faststone Image Viewer
> Rose Weir

Rose,

I forgot to ask you this. Can you visit bug 389191, then validate the
bug, write a comment and vote for that bug?
If you are using (or will be using IE 8), then it is in your best
interest to do this. If you are a web author, then it is also in your
best interest to do this.

Neredbojias

Mar 29, 2009, 8:34:35 AM3/29/09
On 27 Mar 2009, GTalbot <news...@gtalbot.org> wrote:

> [followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]
>

> On 27 mar, 01:05, Neredbojias <neredboj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 26 Mar 2009, GTalbot <newsgr...@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>>

>> Well, I got the "passed" version, same build.
>
> Thank you for your feedback.

You're most welcome.

>> Irfanview handles my
>> .png's.  ???
>>
>> Anyway, a bug I hit is in css hover.  Here's a live demo:
>>
>> http://www.neredbojias.org/indexTST.php
>>
>> - Click the "hover" button in upper right corner (to activate
>> hovering) then hover over the list items and see what happens.
>>  Markup is valid and system works in IE 7, Firefox, Safari, and
>> more-or-less in Opera (machanics probs there).  Also works in IE 8
>> "compatibility mode".
>>
>> Dunno if this has been previously addressed but I think it's
>> definitely a bug.
>
> Neredbojias,
>
> You may want to know that I visited your site a few times when
> seeking bugs in IE 8 betas and it was useful. I remember your planet
> Mars webpage.

Yeah, that one was kinda out of this world...

> Regarding your indexTST.php, hovering list items, I get the same
> results in IE 8 final release build 18702 and in Firefox 3.0.7 which
> is miniatures of webpages at top-right corner of document box.
>
> After a closer examination (more hovering of list-items), I can
> notice a margin collapsing between a list-item and list. I can not
> reproduce the issue with steps to reproduce but I have taken
> screenshots of the buggy behavior (with collapsing and without
> collapsing). There is a guillotine effect occuring when hovering
> those reactive list-items. I may file this later at IE beta
> feedback... very much tired these days and I have zero reward,
> retribution for reporting bugs at IE beta feedback, you know...

Bug reporting is a thankless task, methinks. Anyway, re. the hovering
anomoly, that's it - you got it. The "guillotine effect" - I like
that. The stacked lists collapse vertically together sporadically when
I hover over them, esp. fast. The prob disappears with "compatibility
view", though, so I used the meta in the "real" page.

> Regarding your hover bug, you may want to read this precise comment
> (because I could reproduce it and it is the same type of guillotine
> effect, also involving a list and list-item):
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/03/19/internet-explorer-8-final-

> available-now.aspx#9502709 Steps:

> load http://www.shorewall.net/Shorewall-perl.html#DownSide
> then text-select/highligh with the mouse the list or around the list
> of item "5.The 'refresh' command is now similar to restart with the
> exceptions that:"
> and you'll see margin collapse between the last item and the
> paragraph starting with "With the shell-based compiler, extension
> scripts were copied into (...)"

Checked it out and it seems to confirm the bug.

> Anyway... you're a bit off-topic here :)

Really? Ie bugs don't affect authoring?

Btw, thanks for checking it out and good luck with your own bugs. Find
out anything more on the .png thing?

> [followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html]

RoseW

Mar 29, 2009, 3:46:13 PM3/29/09

"GTalbot" <news...@gtalbot.org> wrote in message

Rose,

Is this 389191 bug located at the url above (MSIE8Bugs)?
The actual location for validation and commenting wasn't obvious for me.
Rose

GTalbot

Mar 31, 2009, 11:04:26 PM3/31/09
On 29 mar, 15:46, "RoseW" <w...@nshurontel.on.ca> wrote:
> "GTalbot" <newsgr...@gtalbot.org> wrote in message

> > Fails for me on an Xppro 64bit viewed in Internet Explorer 8 with no
> > addons
> > (Your message browser Failed...alternate content appeared)
> > Png images are opened with Faststone Image Viewer
> > Rose Weir
>
> Rose,
>
> I forgot to ask you this. Can you visit bug 389191, then validate the
> bug, write a comment and vote for that bug?
> If you are using (or will be using IE 8), then it is in your best
> interest to do this. If you are a web author, then it is also in your
> best interest to do this.
>
> regards, Gérard
> --
> Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 48 bugs so farhttp://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/
> Internet Explorer 7 bugs: 173 bugs so farhttp://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/

> Is this 389191 bug located at the url above (MSIE8Bugs)?
> The actual location for validation and commenting wasn't obvious for me.
> Rose

Rose,
Sorry about all this. The url for bug 389191 was indicated in the
testcase

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/object-native-support-png-mimetype.html

And last week, it was said here (in IE blog)

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/03/23/re-ie8-beta-feedback.aspx

"
Public Votes on IE8 Technical Beta bugs – We have opened up the bug
database for the IE8 Technical Beta for everyone to view and vote on
issues. There is no need to create a Microsoft Connect account. "

but it turns out it's not possible to validate and vote without
registering.

regards, Gérard