Stanford's "Google" search engine (fwd)

Prentiss Riddle

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:57:22 -0700
> From: Roy Tennant <rten...@library.berkeley.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web...@library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Experimental search engine
>
> Those of you who follow search engine developments may want to check out
> Stanford University's Google (formerly the BackRub project, and their
> crawler is still named that) at:
>
> http://google.stanford.edu/

Google has a number of interesting features, most notably that results
are sorted by a metric called PageRank, which is loosely defined as
follows:

"PageRank, which is a graph-theoretic measure of citation of
the page. ... It is important to note that PageRank is
independent of the query you type; it is a property of the page
itself. ... Roughly speaking a page has high PageRank if there
are many pages that point to it that have high PageRank. We
have found this corresponds closely to the importance of a web
page. However there are a number of counterexamples."

Although it's not yet a production system, I think it's worth watching.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") rid...@rice.edu
-- Webmaster, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle

Henry T. Stein, Ph.D.

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

I was quite impressed with its speed and throughness, and sent an
e-mail to Copernic 98 Plus tech support suggesting that they include
Google in their web channels.

On 10 Jun 1998 17:56:50 GMT, rid...@rice.edu (Prentiss Riddle) wrote:

>> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:57:22 -0700
>> From: Roy Tennant <rten...@library.berkeley.edu>
>> To: Multiple recipients of list <web...@library.berkeley.edu>
>> Subject: Experimental search engine
>>
>> Those of you who follow search engine developments may want to check out
>> Stanford University's Google (formerly the BackRub project, and their
>> crawler is still named that) at:
>>
>> http://google.stanford.edu/

(message cut)

Henry T. Stein, Ph.D., Director
Alfred Adler Institute of San Francisco
Distance Training in Classical Adlerian Psychotherapy
AAISF Home Page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hstein/
E-mail: HTStein@.att.net
Voice: (415) 282-1661