The reality of learning & presentation styles:...

8

Aug 11, 1991, 3:15:11 PM8/11/91
Newsgroup: comp.human-factors

In: <1991Aug10....@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
gr...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Joseph Gregg) writes:

> To my knowledge, McLuhan did not write anything about the newest
>medium, the personal computer ( he died in 1980 ), but certainly many
>of the things he said about television obtain here as well. Probably

Walter Ong's book "Orality and Literacy :the technologizing
of the word" is a good introduction to the effects of
technological change on communication. He starts by
examining the effects of written technology on oral
communication and cultures and continues with an examination
of the possible effects of high technology on cultures and
communication. I also suggest "The Mode of Information" by
Mark Poster which examines the effects of high-tech on
society from a literary and cultural theory perspective.

-Ed Costello
(ec...@andrew.cmu.edu, cost...@pokvmcr3.vnet.ibm.com)
"The preceding opinions are those of the author and not of the
IBM Corporation."

Thom Gillespie

Aug 12, 1991, 7:57:35 PM8/12/91
In article <910811190...@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> cost...@pokvmcr3.vnet.ibm.com writes:
>Newsgroup: comp.human-factors
>
>In: <1991Aug10....@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
>gr...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Joseph Gregg) writes:
>
>> To my knowledge, McLuhan did not write anything about the newest
>>medium, the personal computer ( he died in 1980 ), but certainly many
>>of the things he said about television obtain here as well. Probably
>>
>Walter Ong's book "Orality and Literacy :the technologizing
>of the word" is a good introduction to the effects of
>technological change on communication. He starts by
>examining the effects of written technology on oral
>communication and cultures and continues with an examination
>of the possible effects of high technology on cultures and
>communication. I also suggest "The Mode of Information" by
>Mark Poster which examines the effects of high-tech on
>society from a literary and cultural theory perspective.
>
>-Ed Costello

The Laws of Media came out about 2 years ago. It was jointly written by
McLuhan and his son, Published after his death naturally. It may be more
appropriate to todays technology than Unerstanding Media. It underwhelmed
the critics and went away quickly, but it is good.

thom Gillespie