Internship applicants - where are they?

Mark J. Sugg

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00
I am getting a lower response to my intern postings lately than usual
(look for my most recent repost from last Tues). I suspect there are
many factors, but I am curious if the members of this group have any
opinions on which of these possible factors is the most important:

1) There are so many opportunities for regular positions that students
are not interested in internships.

2) There are better places now for me to post intern announcements on
the web (I have used UTEST, comp-human-factors, and BayCHI).

3) Something about the intern posting is turning people off.

4) Other.

Comments welcome.

Matthew Thomas

Sep 15, 2000, 9:19:13 AM9/15/00
"Mark J. Sugg" wrote:

> I am getting a lower response to my intern postings lately than usual
> (look for my most recent repost from last Tues). I suspect there are
> many factors, but I am curious if the members of this group have any
> opinions on which of these possible factors is the most important:

> 3) Something about the intern posting is turning people off.

Speaking as a current student and prospective intern (and, please note,
a horribly small and biased sample), a couple of things struck me as
potential turned-offs.

| IBM interns become part of a multidisciplinary product development
| team to design, prototype, and evaluate graphical user interfaces for
| IBM's industry-leading database, business intelligence, and portal
| building products.

It would be nice if you could ease up on the jargon, and give some
examples (with URLs) of some of the particular products you are talking
about here. That way, potential applicants could get a better idea of
what they would be working on.

| * Regular and intern HFEs initiated about 30 interface design
| patent applications in 1999

Haven't you heard? Software-related patents aren't cool any more.

Regards
--
Matthew `mpt' Thomas, Mozilla user interface QA
<http://critique.net.nz/project/mozilla/>