Help: Looking for a Alarm System for AUTOMATION (RS-232)

slinkees

Jan 16, 2001, 12:51:44 AM1/16/01

I'm looking for a Alarm System (Control Panel) with a PC connection (Rs-232)
for
status and been able to program account or whatever (Optional) .
I'll building a projet to control my home with
a Linux Box + X-10 + Alarm system + HVAC + Video CAM
everything accessible by the web.

Every system must no depend on each other.

I was looking at Caddx NX-8 + NX-584

I can't find docs related to Serial port!

Any comment or suggestion,
Thanks

Slinkees

ne...@river-view_dot_freeserve.co.uk

Jan 18, 2001, 12:36:38 PM1/18/01
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:51:44 -0500, <slin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm looking for a Alarm System (Control Panel) with a PC connection (Rs-232)
>for
>status and been able to program account or whatever (Optional) .

Have a look at http://www.comfort.org.uk (I believe there is a US
distributor too, should be listed on that site...).

I use it, have had it for about a year, and am very happy with it.
I'm currently developing a hardware addon for it, but that's not
my reason for recommending it :-)

To connect it up to a PC, you'd need the main box ('CPU'), whatever
extra zones you need (the main box comes with 8 in, 8 out, can go
up to 64 in, 64 out), a keypad, and a UCMDEV kit for the PC interface.

I've not had a proper chance to play with the PC interface, but I
will be using it under linux. Note that the software supplied is
windows only, but the interface is well documented.

It'll also talk to and listen to X10 devices with the X10 interface.

IIRC, Napco and DSC both make alarms which will talk to PCs, but
when I was looking at what was available, Comfort won easily, in
terms of features and reviews from other users.

Nigel