Electrical energy consumption sensor?

Eric Jones

Mar 18, 2002, 2:29:21 PM3/18/02
I want to add load control to my home automation system. (i.e. monitor my
electrical consumption and control my HVAC, clothes dryer, water heater, etc. to
keep my elecrical consumption below a threshold.)

Has anyone done this? If so, how do you sense your electrical energy
consumption?

Rob

Mar 18, 2002, 3:53:21 PM3/18/02
The inexpensive way is to use an optical sensor that watches the disc spin
on your meter. There are a couple of manufacturers of this device. One was
called Power Sentry and featured in Home Automator Mag Aug 99, but it
appears it might not be available:

http://www.measure.com/sensors/sensor-energy.html#The%20Power%20Sentry

And another type, requiring current CT's:
http://www.brandelectronics.com/powermeter.htm

"Eric Jones" <jon...@agcs.com> wrote in message

Dave Houston

Mar 18, 2002, 3:58:48 PM3/18/02
There's a better version of the optical sensor type at...

http://www.seanadams.com/pge

"Rob" <nore...@nospam.com> wrote:

---
http://www.laser.com/dhouston/

Mick

Mar 18, 2002, 4:42:24 PM3/18/02
I'm just setting up the same thing, and the meter I am selecting has pulsed (opto isolated
I think - would expect it anyway) outputs and an RS232 output so I can use windows
software to monitor it as well. It also supports a modem for remote reading. Just have
to get the elec company to hook a modem up now so I don't have to let them on the property

Mick

Dave Houston

Mar 18, 2002, 5:10:04 PM3/18/02
I've seen that one if it's the one that goes between the meter and base. I
wasn't aware that was being sold to consumers. I thought it was just sold to
utility companies.

Mick <st...@work.com> wrote:

---
http://www.laser.com/dhouston/

Mick

Mar 19, 2002, 5:18:08 PM3/19/02
Its not an add-on. it is the meter, sold by e-mail australia and used by integral energy.
His unit is not normally used by consumers by they don't restrict it

Mick