Announce: 3Delight 0.6

Patrick Fournier

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
we are pleased to announce that a new version of 3Delight
is now available for download on the 3Delight website
( http://www.3delight.com ). The licensing terms are the
same as before (eg free, but you cannot distribute it
commercially).

We would like to thank all those who help us build better
software by reporting bugs and making suggestion to us.

Here is a brief list of what has changed since the last
public release. The 0.5.2 version was never made publicly available.

0.6 (2000/09/25)
----
- More efficient handling of large polygon meshes
- A lot of work on the ray tracer: faster, more robust, but still in
development
- Support for attributes "render" "visibility" and "render"
"casts_shadows"
- Faster and higher quality texture mapping
- 3Delight is now statically linked with libtiff
- Some changes in display driver interface. Beware: more changes are to
be expected over the next few releases.
- You can now specify exposure, quantization and dithering values on
a per display basis.
- The cone primitive was bugged -- it is now working properly
- Shader compiler:
- Better and faster optimizer
- regex() function is now supported on NT
- Supports for varying string local variables
- Fixed a bug in transformation of point parameters in shaders
- More SL functions implemented
- RIB generated by Maya crashed the renderer -- this has been fixed
- Fixed the installation scripts -- they should work on all Linux
flavors
- Many other bug fixes
- Due to lack of interest, we do not support LinuxPPC anymore
- A PDF version of the manual is now available.

0.5.2 (2000/08/15)
----
- Fixed the normal calculation (they were sometimes inversed)
- Fixed backface culling
- Fixed a bug caused by surface shaders that modify P
- Oi and Ci are now initialized to 0 and 1, respectively
- Added a "circle" bucketorder
- Added support for cellnoise, attribute, options and textureinfo (SL)
- Now accepting inline parameter declaration
- Faster texture mapping

Happy rendering !

The 3Delight Team

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

softguy

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
got a MacOS/MacOS X version?
"Patrick Fournier" <pat...@3delight.com> wrote in message

> > - Due to lack of interest, we do not support LinuxPPC anymore
>
> Sorry, this is an error; the LinuxPPC version will be available
> by the end of September.

Patrick Fournier

Sep 26, 2000, 9:13:19 PM9/26/00

Justin Elliott Cobb

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:36:57 GMT, Patrick Fournier
<pat...@3delight.com> wrote:

>We would like to thank all those who help us build better
>software by reporting bugs and making suggestion to us.

I thought that this version was going to support DJGPP?

I had played with the .bat file, trying to hack it myself, with no
luck..

*sigh* back to using Aqsis...

Patrick Fournier

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
In article
<B177A57EEC682D9D.C1C458C9...@lp.airnews.net>,

Sorry, we had some problems doing this and not much time to
resolve them.

Maybe you'll be pleased to learn that we have started working
on a shader interpreter, so you won't need any C compiler to
compile your shaders.

Patrick

Patrick Fournier

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
In article <hFdA5.11340$m03.2...@wagner.videotron.net>,

"softguy" <sof...@here.com> wrote:
> got a MacOS/MacOS X version?

Not yet...

Patrick

Justin Elliott Cobb

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:06:47 GMT, Patrick Fournier
<pat...@3delight.com> wrote:

>Maybe you'll be pleased to learn that we have started working
>on a shader interpreter, so you won't need any C compiler to
>compile your shaders.

That pleases me greatly.. :-)

Don't get me wrong, I like 3delight from what I have seen of it, and
want to use it desperately.. just that VC++ is out of my budget range
right now, and the inability to compile shaders makes any testing
input I may have somewhat limited. :-)