ANN: 3Delight 4.0

Aghiles

Mar 1, 2005, 12:10:10 AM3/1/05
Hello everyone,

3DELIGHT 4.0 is available for download. Here is a list of the most important
improvements included in this release:

Multiprocessing
3DELIGHT is now able to render a single image using multiple processors
located on a single computer or on remote computers or a combination of
both. This powerful feature makes it possible to distribute rendering of
a single image on a render-farm without the need for external software.

See http://www.3delight.com/ZDoc/3delight_35.html#SEC69

Performance
improved. Additionally, improvements to the shading system yields an
overall 20% increase in rendering speed for complex scenes. This is the
first step of a continuing optimization of the shading system.

Other features
* Rendering times are now reported in the statistics with detailed
information for each part of the rendering process. This eases the
identification of performance issues.

* Lightweight particles are now correctly shaded using surface and
lightsource shaders.

* Motion blur of RiAttributes is now properly handled.

Shader Compiler
The shader compiler `shaderdl' now supports variable size arrays. Some
optimization options have been moved from O3 to O2 for better code
generation. Compilation time has been improved for large shaders.

Thanks,
The 3Delight Team

Giuseppe Randazzo

Mar 2, 2005, 3:19:15 PM3/2/05
hello Aghiles,
even with the new release (4.0.2)
I had problem with license server.

My system is a Win2000 pc.
I received correcly license.dat,
I inserted it in %DELIGHT% directory,
I updated rendermn.ini with the line
/3delight/licserver 'myhostname',
I started licserver in a shell with this command:
licserver %DELIGHT%\license.dat,
It seems work correctly (shows this output)
: Aknowledged key for feature '3Delight'
: Maximum number of licenses: 1.
: A machine can run up to 2 processes.

..then in another shell I tried to start renderdl:
I received this output:
3DL SEVERE ERROR: Unable to contact license server (no such file or
directory)
3DL INFO: Make sure the license server is running on 'myhostname'

I saw in licensing.pdf, this kind of problem, in my case
hostname is correct, AND license server seems active in another shell
(its visible in task manager windows: licserver.exe)

I dont know how resolve the problem or
maybe I done something wrong?..

Tanks for your help

Giuseppe

"Aghiles" <agh...@dnasoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

Olivi...@hotmail.com

Mar 2, 2005, 6:48:18 PM3/2/05
Hi Giuseppe,

Is your machine really named 'myhostname' ?

Also, you should not be using quotes in the rendermn.ini file. It
should look like:
/3delight/licserver myhostname

If none of this works, try removing the line from rendermn.ini. I think
it will default to trying for a local server but I need to check that.

Olivier

Giuseppe Randazzo

Mar 2, 2005, 7:09:48 PM3/2/05
hello Olivier,

> Is your machine really named 'myhostname' ?
:) ..no my pc is "gigahertz", the name is correct, can be obtained
from "hostname" dos command or from "licutils hostname".

> Also, you should not be using quotes in the rendermn.ini file. It
> should look like:
> /3delight/licserver myhostname

sure, it is exactly that I have done..

> If none of this works, try removing the line from rendermn.ini. I think
> it will default to trying for a local server but I need to check that.

I tried, and simply the render starts, with whatermarks and
the sentence that asks for rendermn.ini completion.

Giuseppe

<Olivi...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

Olivi...@hotmail.com

Mar 2, 2005, 10:00:43 PM3/2/05
Hi Giuseppe,
Do you happen to have a firewall setup? The renderer and license
server communicate over sockets (even locally) so that could be
blocking the connection.

Olivier

Giuseppe Randazzo

Mar 3, 2005, 7:59:18 AM3/3/05
Hello Olivier,
that's exact, I have ZoneAlarm running on my
pc, then this seems to be the cause of the problem.
I cannot now try this solution until friday, because I'm
far from my pc, but soon as possible I will post the
results.

thanks for your help.

Giuseppe

Hans Fink

Mar 4, 2005, 10:23:05 AM3/4/05
Olivi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi Giuseppe,
>
> Is your machine really named 'myhostname' ?
>
> Also, you should not be using quotes in the rendermn.ini file. It
> should look like:
> /3delight/licserver myhostname

In a pure one-machine environment (i.e. licserver and renderer
always on same machine) you can as well use

/3delight/licserver localhost

(works for me at least)

One thing I noticed: the network interface must be active (i.e. under
WinXP you need a network link up state) in order to provide the
MAC address to licserver. A bit annoying on standalone or mobile PCs.

Cheers

-Hans-

Giuseppe Randazzo

Mar 5, 2005, 4:26:48 PM3/5/05
Hello Olivier,
after that I have closed ZoneAlarm, all has worked well,
Thank you for your help.

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Randazzo

Mar 5, 2005, 4:32:44 PM3/5/05
Hello Hans,

> One thing I noticed: the network interface must be active (i.e. under
> WinXP you need a network link up state) in order to provide the
> MAC address to licserver. A bit annoying on standalone or mobile PCs.

I noticed this happened with 4.0 version of licutils,
with current version (4.02) seems work even without
active network.

from CHANGES.html:
3Delight 4.0.2 Release
Fixes
Improved licutils hostid compatibility on windows systems.

Cheers,

Giuseppe

Hans Fink

Mar 7, 2005, 6:56:57 AM3/7/05

Thanks Giuseppe, this one did it.

And BTW thanks to the 3Delight team for this great renderer!

Cheers

-Hans-

Not Important

Mar 7, 2005, 1:30:35 PM3/7/05