ANN: 3Delight 2.0

Aghiles

Jan 29, 2004, 10:32:14 PM1/29/04
Hello everyone,

3Delight 2.0 is now available.

- Procedurals - 3Delight is now able to "lazily" load geometry specified
through "RiProcedural" calls. Procedurals specified through
DelayedReadArchive, DynamicLoad and RunProgram are operational, on all
supported platforms. Procedurals can dramatically improve performance when
rendering complex scenes.

- Image Based Lighting - 3Delight now supports fast image based lighting using
a specialized shadeop. Images can be provided as environment maps or as
light probes generated by software such as HDRShop. No extra pre-blurring
is needed on provided images: results are garanteed to be smooth and accurate.

Images: http://www.3delight.com/ZDoc/3delight_50.html#SEC84

- Subsurface Scattering - This feature is available without extra rendering
passes and is designed to work with highly translucent materials (such as
skin).

Image: http://www.3delight.com/ZDoc/3delight_51.html#SEC85

- Interior Shaders - Those are volumetric shaders which are enclosed inside
objects. Interior shaders are supported by the ray tracer as well as by the
primary REYES renderer.

- Ray Tracer - New functionalities have been added. This includes grouping,
ray labels, rayinfo() and various optional shadeop parameters such as
"maxdist", "samplecone" and "samples".

- Rendering Quality - Smooth interpolation is now available as well as
centered derivatives. Motion blurred RiCurves now look nicer. Shadow maps
blurring uses a new algorithm which gives smoother results.

- Shader Compiler - `shaderdl` includes more code optimizations such as varying
to uniform conversion, constant folding, copy propagation and code motion.

- RIB exporter - 3Delight's RIB exporting capabilities have been enhanced.
A special output mode can be used to ``flatten'' RIBs that contain
procedurals and archives, enabling the user to build self-contained RIBs.

More info at: http://www.3delight.com/ZDoc/3delight_53.html#SEC93

- RenderMan - RiContext and light categories are now functional.

The 3Delight Team / www.3delight.com

Jan Walter

Jan 30, 2004, 3:57:38 PM1/30/04
Just in time to add a nice picture rendered with 3Delight (and lucille
- http://lucille.sourceforge.net/ for the people who haven't heard of
it yet) to

http://www.wahn.demon.co.uk/Download/PDF/filmakademie.pdf

The RIB and MI files used in the course will be available later (as
well as the updated version of the HTML docs). There is never enough
time to add all the tests I made before the talk takes place ...

Anyway, I will fly tomorrow and update the page next week when I'm
back in the UK ...

Cheers,

Jan

... time for the pub ... it's Friday ...