We are looking to fill a Senior level Shader Developer (Writer)
opening at Dreamworks Animation Glendale.
If you are interested, please send your resume to
Job Description for Production Shader Developer
The Production Shader Developer provides technical development and
support for the surfacing department of an individual production.
This department handles the look development for all of the assets
used in our films. The shading developer provides the technical
support that enables continued improvement in the look of our films
and in our tools. The Developer also provides support to the artists,
educating them in the best usage of the tools and bridging the gap
between the technical details of shading, and their use by the
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Identify and address specific technical surfacing challenges during
the early stages of production.
• In conjunction with the Surfacing Supervisor, create initial
surfacing setups, documentation and distribution. This should involve
the creation and maintenance of a material library for the production.
• Help simplify the work flow of the artists on their production to
enable them to create the most efficient shading networks possible.
• Work with the Global Shader Lead on challenging procedural shading
work for their individual production.
• Work with the Global Shader Lead to provide innovative solutions to
improve the quality of the shading, and surfacing.
• Help to bridge gaps between Surfacing and Lighting through
communication and the development of toolsets.
• Teach classes to production users of various studio workflows.
• 2+ years of writing shaders for animation or visual effects
• Solid understanding of rendering theory.
• BS in computer science or equivalent experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working in a high pressure production environment
• Solid knowledge of a variety of programming and scripting languages
such as C, C++, and Python
• Solid knowledge of a Linux desktop environment
• Solid interpersonal skills
• Surfacing and/or Lighting Experience is a plus.