OT: Picture grabbing

Dave Symes

May 20, 2005, 5:29:30 PM5/20/05
PSP friends.
OT: But sort of relevant.

For her personal use... SWMBO wants me to grab some still images from a
DVD film she's recently purchased.
That's no problem as I have Media Player 10 installed and am quite well
versed in doing the captures.

I'd then load the resulting captures into PSP 9 to smarten them up a bit,
which is what I usually do when I capture stuff for myself, either with
Media Player 10 or Screen Thief.

My problem is this.
When doing a capture out of MP 10 (Ctrl-I) the Save filer window always
has Jpeg as the default, I want to change this so that BMP is always the
default save type.

Unfortunately, though I've searched I cannot find either a configuration
that sets this option, or any help info about it.
Anyone know if this is possible and how?

Cheers
Dave S

Trev

May 20, 2005, 5:51:01 PM5/20/05

"Dave Symes" <d...@ukgateway.net> wrote in message
Well what do you know! I did not know you could capture from media player I
always used power DVD. Just had a go and it will only capture Mpeg not AVI
or WMV

JoeB

May 20, 2005, 7:05:44 PM5/20/05
Dave Symes <d...@ukgateway.net> wrote in

While I can't answer your question, I have one of my own. I have
Media Player 9 and Ctrl I does not capture a paused frame. I
have to open the movie in Movie Maker and take a snapshot of the
frame with that program to get anything from a wmv file.

Is there a shortcut or other way you know of to capture a frame
of a wmv movie in MP9? (WIN XP Pro SP2)

Regards,

JoeB

Trev

May 20, 2005, 7:09:40 PM5/20/05

"JoeB" <mye...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Yes I found that too It only captures from Mpeg which maybe why it picks
Jpeg

JoeB

May 20, 2005, 7:59:37 PM5/20/05
"Trev" <trevbowdenATdsl.pipexDOTnet> wrote in

OK, I've figured it out.

First, my iternet research shows that Microsoft has created very
strong anti-copying protection for .wmv movie files, so they are
close to impossible for the average person to get a screenshot
of. If you have MS MovieMaker, you can open import a wmv file
into it and take a snapshot of it there, and can only save it as
a jpg.

With my Media Player 9, there is no way to capture a frame or
save a frame of a wmv file as an image that works. You can,
however, open mpg and avi movies in Media Player and pause on a
frame and save it as either a bmp or jpg. I doubt that (as the
OP asked) you can make bmp the default, but that's a minor issue
as you can select it from the dropdown.

HOWEVER, if you install Media Player Classic (which I think is
6.4), you can open a wmv movie in it, stop it on a frame, then go
to File>Save Image, and you can save the frame as either a jpg or
bmp image, with bmp being the default. You still cannot do a
screen capture from an outside program to capture the image from
Media Player Classic.

So if it's wmv files you want to capture frames from, you must
use Movie Maker or Media Player Classic. If you want to save in
BMP, Media Player Classic seems the only way to go.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

JoeB

fugitive

May 20, 2005, 9:18:23 PM5/20/05

I use AVG for viewing and caps, much better than windows

Greg
http://gregsplace.50megs.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

JoeB

May 20, 2005, 9:37:21 PM5/20/05
fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in

What is AVG for viewing movies? The only AVG I know is an anti-
virus software program.

Regards,

JoeB

Samantha

May 21, 2005, 12:42:41 AM5/21/05
I do screen captures. Someone posted the setup to allow them, but I can't
remember where I stored them.
As I recall you had to change something in the tools area so you can make a
capture. If you didn't make the change all you would get is a black image
from the capture.

"JoeB" <mye...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Samantha

May 21, 2005, 1:01:04 AM5/21/05
Found the article.
http://pchere.blogspot.com/2005/03/capture-images-from-windows-media.html

"Samantha" <samant...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dave Symes

May 21, 2005, 1:02:53 AM5/21/05
In article <v7du81pp6t4vbduun...@4ax.com>,
fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote:

[Snip]

> I use AVG for viewing and caps, much better than windows

Greg, you've got me confused.
AVG is an anti virus application (Grisoft) how does that do viewing and
picture capture?

Cheers
Dave S

Dave Symes

May 21, 2005, 1:17:02 AM5/21/05

> "JoeB" <mye...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

[Snip]

> > I doubt that (as the
> > OP asked) you can make bmp the default, but that's a minor issue
> > as you can select it from the dropdown.

Unfortunately not a minor issue if you are capturing a lot of pics.

> > HOWEVER, if you install Media Player Classic (which I think is
> > 6.4), you can open a wmv movie in it, stop it on a frame, then go
> > to File>Save Image, and you can save the frame as either a jpg or
> > bmp image, with bmp being the default. You still cannot do a
> > screen capture from an outside program to capture the image from
> > Media Player Classic.
> >
> > So if it's wmv files you want to capture frames from, you must
> > use Movie Maker or Media Player Classic. If you want to save in
> > BMP, Media Player Classic seems the only way to go.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > JoeB

I also have MP Classic installed, and yes it defaults to BMP but I don't
particularly like the way it (MPC) works compared to MP10.

Dave S

JoeB

May 21, 2005, 11:11:58 AM5/21/05

> Found the article.
> http://pchere.blogspot.com/2005/03/capture-images-from-windows-

media.html

> "Samantha" <samant...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks Samantha! To think it was that simple!

Regards,

JoeB