ANN: New Graphics, New Site Design!

=Phantom=

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Ok, I been working on redoing my web site. It's still under contstruction so
not much there, but I did put up new graphics. Still available are the
Valentine and Winter graphics. And I also put up some carnation and rose
clip-art too. A few of my favorite alphabets are up as well.

I'll put tubes and my art gallery up when I get time. You'll notice much has
been omitted too. Reason for this is that I don't have too much energy to
keep up with things lately so I want to keep it simple.

=Phantom=
Phantom Inspirations: http://5thpower.com/phantom/
E-Mail phantom at above domain.

Cheryle Jones Cerezo

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Phantom, I really like the new look of your site. The rose and carnation
clip art turned out really well. I'm especially impressed with the scan of
the carnation. Any tips on that?

--
Cheryle
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

PSP Terrorist, D'Lanok deCaresk Chapter
http://members.xoom.com/CherWare

=Phantom=

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Cheryle Jones Cerezo wrote in message
<7a0di7$a...@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>...

>Phantom, I really like the new look of your site. The rose and carnation
>clip art turned out really well. I'm especially impressed with the scan of
>the carnation. Any tips on that?

I got lucky! :) Really, I did! I scanned it in, then I used gamma correction
and brightness/contrast in PSP to lighten it and bring out the color again.
Then I used the magic wand and kept selecting the background then undoing
the selection and adjusting the tolerance until I got the background all
selected or nearly all. The trick is not to aim for the entire background,
as such, but getting it to border the object you are trying to select out as
much as possible. With this scan, it bordered the object (carnation)
perfectly! So yeah, I got really lucky! :) Then I get the rest of the
background selected using magic wand or the lasso tool set to free hand and
holding down the SHIFT key. Then I invert the selection when all the
background is selected. The object (Carnation) is selected so I copy and
paste as new image, which puts it into a new picture on a transparent
background.

I expand the canvas about 25 per side, select all, float, invert selection,
expand selection 1 pixel, gaussian blur .75 to smooth edges, delselect all
and save as a PSP file. For JPG I can then merge all layers. Decreased
colors to 256 (if 16 seemed too few), eyedropper on background, SHIFT-CTRL-V
and select to keep background as transparent, SHIFT-V to view transparency
to be sure it's right, then saved to GIF 89a.

I colorized them one by one before merging layers, copying each to a new
image before merging. Then saving as transparent GIFs. This way you have a
transparent background easily edited out! I'll try to get some carnation
tubes up soon! :) I have them in many colors actually, so I might put up the
clip-art too. Depends on the time I have.

BTW, my scanner is a cheap 24-bit UMAX Astra 300P so editing out objects
sometimes is a bit of a job. Sometimes more 3D stuff it's best to take
photos and scan those in.

BarbBrad1

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

In article <7a1m2e$vco$2...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>, "=Phantom="
<pha...@forgetit.see.sig> writes:

>BTW, my scanner is a cheap 24-bit UMAX Astra 300P so editing out objects
>sometimes is a bit of a job. Sometimes more 3D stuff it's best to take
>photos and scan those in.

I have a Umax 610P and I love to scan actual flowers. The scans are much
better than those from a photograph. I suspend the flowers so no part touches
the glass. Works great.
Barb

Cheryle Jones Cerezo

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Thanks for the details! I have put it in my PSP folder to try (hopefully!)
this weekend.

--

=Phantom= wrote in message <7a1m2e$vco$2...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>...

>BTW, my scanner is a cheap 24-bit UMAX Astra 300P so editing out objects
>sometimes is a bit of a job. Sometimes more 3D stuff it's best to take
>photos and scan those in.

=Phantom=

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
BarbBrad1 wrote in message <19990212133456...@ngol07.aol.com>...

>I have a Umax 610P and I love to scan actual flowers. The scans are much
>better than those from a photograph. I suspend the flowers so no part
touches
>the glass. Works great.

How do you do that? I'd like to try that. I suspend the top and put the
flower right on the glass. Then I put a towel over the top so little light
as possible escapes (otherwise, I'd get no picture at all - just all black).

BarbBrad1

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99

<pha...@forgetit.see.sig> writes:
>How do you do that? I'd like to try that. I suspend the top and put the
>flower right on the glass. Then I put a towel over the top so little light
>as possible escapes (otherwise, I'd get no picture at all - just all black).

Have you tried leaving the top up and the towel off?? Works fine for me. If
I scan with the flower touching the glass, I get white spots where it touches.
My scanner is between the desk and bookshelves so I tape a thin string to the
bookshelf, tie the flower or whatever in the middle and tape the other end of
the string so the flower hangs as low as possible without touching. Wait until
it quits swinging (G). Of course, the scanner lid must remain up. With lights
on in the room, I get a rather pinkish background but if I turn off the lights,
the background is black. In either event, it is usually quite easy to replace
the color of the background or select your flower to do whatever you want with
it. Let me know how it works for you.
Barb
I uploaded two examples for you to see:

The first one is rather large but easy to see the detail of the flower.
http://members.aol.com/BarbBrad1/Clematis.jpg

The iris was suspended horizontally by the stem - I put the stem between two
books at the end of the scanner.
http://members.aol.com/BarbBrad1/Iris.jpg

Ron Lacey

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
On 13 Feb 1999 04:05:37 GMT, "=Phantom=" <pha...@forgetit.see.sig>
wrote:

>BarbBrad1 wrote in message <19990212133456...@ngol07.aol.com>...
>

>>I have a Umax 610P and I love to scan actual flowers. The scans are much
>>better than those from a photograph. I suspend the flowers so no part
>touches
>>the glass. Works great.
>

>How do you do that? I'd like to try that. I suspend the top and put the
>flower right on the glass. Then I put a towel over the top so little light
>as possible escapes (otherwise, I'd get no picture at all - just all black).

I've seen some of Barb's flower scans, they are quite amazing. Most
notable was the depth of field, very difficult to achieve with a
photograph.

Take care
Ron

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Ron Lacey Murillo Ont. ron...@ibm.net
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

=Phantom=

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
BarbBrad1 wrote in message <19990213015356...@ngol08.aol.com>...

>Have you tried leaving the top up and the towel off??

That doesn't work. It just scans a completely black image, no object,
nothing. Just all black. And if I turn up the gamma in PSP, nothing is
there, just black. My scaner has to have enough light entrapped in there or
nothing shows up.

>If I scan with the flower touching the glass, I get white spots where it
touches.

I never had that happen to me, actually.

>My scanner is between the desk and bookshelves

That's probably why you can leave the top off. It's darker in that area. I
have no such area to put the scanner to do this though. You did give me an
idea though - I might try putting the scanner in a cardboard box and then
closing the lid on the box when I'm about to scan...

>so I tape a thin string to the bookshelf, tie the flower or whatever in the
middle
>and tape the other end of the string so the flower hangs as low as possible
without
>touching. Wait until it quits swinging (G).

::giggle:: I could do that with a string in a box...

>With lights on in the room, I get a rather pinkish background but if I turn
off
>the lights, the background is black.

Well, for me, with lights on OR all off, the ENTIRE image is black.

>In either event, it is usually quite easy to replace the color of the
background
>or select your flower to do whatever you want with it.

I had good luck with the carnation actually. I was surprised.

>Let me know how it works for you.

I'll have to experiment to find other ways. I remember using the method you
described when someone else mentioned it a long time back and I couldn't get
anything scanned - just all dark black and if I turned up the gamma in PSP
(or even the scanner too) I still got absolutely no image. Just black.

Right now I'm too busy to play with scanning though. But if/when I have time
I'll try a few more ideas.

diana

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
=Phantom= wrote:

> BarbBrad1 wrote in message <19990213015356...@ngol08.aol.com>...
>
> >Have you tried leaving the top up and the towel off??
>
> That doesn't work. It just scans a completely black image, no object,
> nothing. Just all black. And if I turn up the gamma in PSP, nothing is
> there, just black. My scaner has to have enough light entrapped in there or
> nothing shows up.

My scanner is just sitting in the middle of my room, under the overhead light.
I leave the lid open to scan objects and the overhead light on and I get a
blackish background around the object. For really dark objects where the detail
might be lost to the dark background, I use a box lined with the bright white
paper (or paint the inside with white paint several times making sure there are
no light leaking seams) and place that over the bed when scanning to get a light
grey background around the object. Using the box I can set a small bench vise on
the scanner bed at the bottom (using felt under it to not scratch the glass) and
hold objects with stems or wires taped to them on the back side suspended barely
above the glass. The box is deep enough to go over all the objects on the bed.

There's another thing you can do, a fabric store may have some blackout cloth
too. (like they covered windows in the war) This can be draped over a box above
the object and the scanner to completely seal all light leaks. No sewing
required, just buy a piece of fabric large enough to cover the box and scanner,
this stuff is bonded and doesn't ravel easily. If yours does ravel, get a bottle
of Fray Check to fix that. If you find scraps that are too small for your drop
cloth, just buy some fabric glue, overlap the edges and bond the small scraps
together. Sewing this material may create pinhole light leaks, even if you use
lapped and folded seams. (this stuff makes great window coverings for those
that have to sleep in the day or have migraines and need a very dark room to
recover)

Diana
--
Free Tubes, Clipart, BladePro Presets, Masks, Textures,
Brushes & More --> http://members.xoom.com/tubes/

Bill Schnakenberg

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99

diana wrote:

> There's another thing you can do, a fabric store may have some blackout cloth
> too. (like they covered windows in the war)

I think you just gave away your age, Diana! <vbg>

> Diana
> --
> Free Tubes, Clipart, BladePro Presets, Masks, Textures,
> Brushes & More --> http://members.xoom.com/tubes/
> Home Page --> http://lonestar.texas.net/~diana/
> Electronics Info --> http://members.tripod.com/~schematics/index.html

--
Bill -
PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter - Anti-Troll Unit 235
Serial Numbers-R-Us!
The USS Salem, CA-139. The World's only preserved Heavy Cruiser,
Quincy, MASS. http://members.xoom.com/ltwes329/salem.html
Remove OUTSPAMMEDDOT from my e-mail address when replying directly.

diana

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

> diana wrote:
>
> > There's another thing you can do, a fabric store may have some blackout cloth
> > too. (like they covered windows in the war)
>
> I think you just gave away your age, Diana! <vbg>

I'm a late babyboomer actually. ;-) I do watch old movies though!

Frank Hargreaves

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
I read somewhere that you should use a dull black cloth.

=Phantom= wrote:
[snip]

> How do you do that? I'd like to try that. I suspend the top and put the
> flower right on the glass. Then I put a towel over the top so little light
> as possible escapes (otherwise, I'd get no picture at all - just all black).
>

> =Phantom=
> Phantom Inspirations: http://5thpower.com/phantom/
> E-Mail phantom at above domain.

--
Visit our sordid yet serendipitous home page at
http://home.att.net/~frankpat/

Frank Hargreaves

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Don't laugh. My father was an air raid warden. Wandered around
checking the neighbors' windows to make sure no light came through.

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

> diana wrote:
>
> > There's another thing you can do, a fabric store may have some blackout cloth
> > too. (like they covered windows in the war)
>
> I think you just gave away your age, Diana! <vbg>

[snip]

Bill Schnakenberg

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Yup, I remember them. Had those white helmets with the red triangle and CD in the
triangle. (Aside for you younguns: CD did not stand for Compact Disk back then. It
stood for Civil Defense)

Frank Hargreaves wrote:

De Hancock

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Aahh .. memories. I have a "War Ration Book Two" #25210 issued in my
name, by the Office of Price Administration. I was 4 yrs old, 3 ft. 6
in., 36 lbs. Still had some M-L-K-J 8, 5, 2, 1 stamps left in it.
Weren't those for gasoline and other luxuries?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~Deanna~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.designbydeanna.net/

Bill Schnakenberg

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
As far as I can remember (usually just a couple of days ago) gasoline had a 3" x 3"
sticker that went on the windshield of the car. Different letters for different amounts
of gas allowed per week. I remember the letter "A" on a lot of those stickers. I don't
know what the different designations meant or how much was allowed for each. Those ration
stamps were much smaller and in a small booklet with pictures of various war implements,
tanks, guns, planes, etc.on each stamp. They were used for food purchases. So many
"points" for meat, butter, eggs, etc.

Diane B. Fields

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Bill Schnakenberg <willshakOU...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

snip

>> Don't laugh. My father was an air raid warden. Wandered around
>> checking the neighbors' windows to make sure no light came through.
>>
>> Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

snip

>> > I think you just gave away your age, Diana! <vbg>
>> [snip]

Gosh, I must have just missed this conversation. I read further down
and I sort of remember the ration books (and the blackouts and no
'daddies' in our neighborhood), but do remember vividly the victory
gardens both my grandfathers' grew and in my mother's scrapbook there
is a picture of me from the newspaper in a sailor dress sitting on the
edge of a booth 'helping' them sell victory bonds. Guess I was about
3 1/2 or 4, maybe a bit older-my Father was away in the Pacific on the
USS Essex (Bill), an aircraft carrier. Of course we went from this to
'duck and cover' <G>.

Diane
--
Diane B. Fields
designer/colorist/weaver of interior textiles

=Phantom=

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
I changed the thread subject so that if anyone's looking for ideas on this
subject, it's easier to find. :)

diana wrote in message <36C596FB...@texas.net>...

>My scanner is just sitting in the middle of my room, under the overhead
light.
>I leave the lid open to scan objects and the overhead light on and I get a
>blackish background around the object. For really dark objects where the
detail
>might be lost to the dark background, I use a box lined with the bright
white
>paper (or paint the inside with white paint several times making sure there
are
>no light leaking seams) and place that over the bed when scanning to get a
light
>grey background around the object.

Great ideas Diana! I will try yours too. I never even thought of these. I
have a light I think I can use to shine over the scanner. I like Barb's
ideas as well, for suspending stuff for a 3D look. These are excellent tips!
:)

>There's another thing you can do, a fabric store may have some blackout
cloth

>too. (like they covered windows in the war) This can be draped over a box
above
>the object and the scanner to completely seal all light leaks.

Aha! I'll have to see if I can get a friend to find some if the above ideas
don't work. (I can't get out to the nearest fabric store myself.) Would just
plain black denim work though? Or any heavy black cloth? Or does it have to
be a particular kind of blackout cloth?

>lapped and folded seams. (this stuff makes great window coverings for
those
>that have to sleep in the day or have migraines and need a very dark room
>recover)

Now I want to get me some of that cloth! I'm in a one-room studio and my
blinds let the sun in. Nothing worse than turning over to find sun shining
in your eyes through the blinds and thin drapes. OUCH! :( And I DO sleep
during the day often too.

I just thought of something else.. you know the material used to make
shades? Why not use that for either a drop cloth cover and/or inside of the
box covering the scanner? That is thick, keeps light out and is available in
pure white! :)

So many neat ideas...

Joe Cilinceon

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
I have some drapes that are light weight for dark room windows. I got them
in a photo supply store locally a few years back. It is a soft lint free
material and I was thinking about using one of them since I don't have a
dark room any longer, that would be perfect for this.

--

Joe Cilinceon
http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

Cheryle Jones Cerezo

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Actually, Phantom, the "blackout" cloth referred to *is* white. I used to
manage a fabric store, and we sold great quantities of it to people who were
day-sleepers. It's very tightly woven (more even than denim) and is a little
pricey as I recall. However, for a small quantity, it shouldn't be too bad.
If you have a local JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts, give them a call.

--
Cheryle
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

PSP Terrorist, D'Lanok deCaresk Chapter
http://members.xoom.com/CherWare

Diane

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Hi, guys,
I've been away for a couple of days, but this type of scanning is
something I've loved doing for quite a while. To show up white and
pastel flowers, I get really good results using a one-yard square of
heavy black felt for dark background. I leave the scanner's lid up, then
arrange the felt over the flower on the scanner. The felt is sturdy
enough to hold it's shape so you can keep most of the weight off the
flower by "tenting" the fabric up over it.

Heavy white felt works pretty well as a light background, but you
might get some soft shadows. I find these shadows pretty easy to select
and eliminate when I want just the plant. Sometimes, though, that
shadowed effect is exactly what I'd otherwise work for an hour to
achieve with feathering, drop shadow, etc.!

I have some graphics resulting from this process up on my Pacific
Northwest Plants page if you're interested.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/4084

Diane (5acreschool)

Brian Anderson

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99

>> I changed the thread subject so that if anyone's looking for ideas on this
>> subject, it's easier to find. :)

Hi
I have tried to scan 3D objects and ALWAYS get a rainbow effect of RGB
on the edges, lid up and covering makes no difference.
Is this a "feature" of some scanners?
Can I overcome it?
I am using an Avec 4816 3 pass scanner
Thanks for any suggestions.
Regards
Brian
Member of Melbourne PC User Group Inc.

Peninsula Woodturners Guild Inc.
http://www.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild

BarbBrad1

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

In article <36c98443...@news.melbpc.org.au>, skij...@melbpc.org.au (Brian
Anderson) writes:

>Hi
>I have tried to scan 3D objects and ALWAYS get a rainbow effect of RGB
>on the edges, lid up and covering makes no difference.
>Is this a "feature" of some scanners?
>Can I overcome it?

I get a rainbow effect with glass or shiny objects and haven't figure any cure
yet except edit it out after the scan.
Barb

Brian Anderson

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
On 16 Feb 1999 04:01:15 GMT, barb...@aol.com (BarbBrad1) wrote:

>In article <36c98443...@news.melbpc.org.au>, skij...@melbpc.org.au (Brian
> Anderson) writes:
>
>>Hi
>>I have tried to scan 3D objects and ALWAYS get a rainbow effect of RGB
>>on the edges,

> Brian

>I get a rainbow effect with glass or shiny objects and haven't figure any cure
>yet except edit it out after the scan.
> Barb

Thanks Barb. The effect occurs with matt objects and with shiny
things. Editing the colours out is a pain!

Bob and Kelly Crispen

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
I saw a lecture at SIGGRAPH from a person who took a hand scanner and
hacked the lens to give it a focal length of infinity, and he used it
as a cheap panoramic camera! It'd be worth trying if you've got a spare
hand scanner in the drawer. Obviously you wouldn't need to set the
focal length at infinity to scan 3D objects.

If my old Mustek didn't blue-screen every machine I'd tried to install
it on when you clicked the button, I'd be at it with my screwdriver.

And if you think I remember whether you'd need to lengthen or shorten
the distance between the lens and the sensing element, you're wrong,
but I *think* it's lengthen.
--
Bob & Kelly Crispen
cri...@hiwaay.net