do animated gifs have a max speed?

Jim

Jun 5, 2004, 1:15:15 PM6/5/04
Hello.
I've been spending some time creating animated gifs using Animation Shop
3.1. In many of them I've set the frame durations to varying lengths. The
shortest being 2 hundredths second.
I've been doing this for a number of weeks and I've only been viewing the
results in Animation Shop and they have looked exactly as they should.
However as I intended to show them in a PowerPoint 2003 presentation I've
just previewed them for the first time in something other than Animation
Shop and they don't look right at all. Specifically, the fast animations are
too slow. I've tried looking at them in Internet Explorer 6 and the same is
true.
It seems these 2 programs can't or are refusing to play a frame at a
duration quicker than 10 100th sec. So fast animations look slow and jerky.
Please note that frames are not being skipped.
I don't think that this is a resource issue. My computer is fairly new and
fast and these animations play quickly in animation shop.

Does anyone know if Web browsers and MS Office have a maximum speed of
around 10 frames a second when it comes to animated gifs??
And if not could anyone suggest why my gifs are not playing at the correct
fast rate?
Thanks

Uni

Jun 5, 2004, 2:54:30 PM6/5/04

Skip the boring animated GIF PowerPoint presentation, puts most people
to sleep. Go directly to video!!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/uni_stuff/uni_romance_pt_6.mpg

:-)

Uni

Kris Zaklika

Jun 5, 2004, 2:47:22 PM6/5/04
Jim wrote:
[snip]

> Does anyone know if Web browsers and MS Office have a maximum speed of
> around 10 frames a second when it comes to animated gifs??

I don't know if there is a specific maximum speed. However, in
the Jasc User Forum related to Animation Shop there have been
examples of animations that play poorly in Internet Explorer
even though they work fine in Animation Shop or Netscape. And
I'm not just talking about speed. Internet Explorer will
sometimes paint animated gifs as successive blocks, which
looks really ugly. I'm afraid your are a victim of Bill Gates.
One thing that has worked to overcome some of these limitations
is to make the image size of the animation smaller. Another
thing you might consider is using an .avi file in place of
a .gif.

Uni

Jun 5, 2004, 3:09:11 PM6/5/04

Oh, and Triumph the Wonder Dog - Note: That MPEG-1 movie, w/ sound,
plays about ONE minute and is only 500kB!

Top that!!!!

:-)

Uni - who makes miracles happen :)