Borg Cube

Les Betterley

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone out there might have a good technique or
tutorial on modeling the Borg Cube.
I've seen a tutorial that acomplished this using Photoshop to create
random grid type maps and using the same maps as bump maps. It made the
process mind numbingly easy and the technique worked on any modeling
package.
The problem is I can't remember how it was done. Even as far as creating
the map in Photoshop.
I've tried looking for it on the net unsuccessfully.

I'd totally appreciate it.
thanx
les
l...@accessone.com

Kevin Thayer

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

try this.. as far as making the map, i'm not much help, but to give it a
bit more depth (a single bump/texture map will look a bit flat) try using 3
or 4 layers , with the bump map/texture map also used as a transparency
map. for the last (innermost) layer, don't use a transparency map. That
should give you a nice layered look.) if you're looking for a nice grid
type map try looking for either printed circuit board pictures or just draw
a bunch of fat perpendicular lines in photoshop and do a blur. =)

You might also try getting a screen dump from one of those OpenGL type
screen savers that NT comes with (you know, the pipes one) If you're really
desperate try using the background on my homepage, it's kind of like that.
go to http://www.netmagic.net/~tmk/

later
t...@netmagic.net

Emile Edwin Smith

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Les Betterley wrote:

> Hey All,

> I was wondering if anyone out there might have a good
> technique or
> tutorial on modeling the Borg Cube.
> I've seen a tutorial that acomplished this using Photoshop to
> create
> random grid type maps and using the same maps as bump maps. It made
> the
> process mind numbingly easy and the technique worked on any modeling
> package.
> The problem is I can't remember how it was done. Even as far
> as creating
> the map in Photoshop.
> I've tried looking for it on the net unsuccessfully.
>
> I'd totally appreciate it.
> thanx
> les
> l...@accessone.com

Well, when I built the new cube for Voyager I based everything off
image maps and then modeled around them. To make it real simple I had an
underlying cube that was mapped with an image. I then took the main
image that I had created into modeler and started building on it.
Basically it was large areas of chunkiness raised above the inner cube
with many of the detailed areas of the map modeled on these areas. I
also interconnected the pieces with tubes and added edge pieces to make
it look more dimensional and 3d on the edges.

Good luck,

--

Emile Edwin Smith

Animator