anyone remember the url for the guy who did the 3D version of a H. R. Giger painting?

Brizon

Oct 19, 2001, 6:58:50 AM10/19/01
anyone remember the url for the guy who did the 3D version of a H. R. Giger
painting? I think it was a 3dluvr site, but damned if I can find it so far,
any help would be great, cheers.

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

LWAnmtr

Oct 19, 2001, 2:27:12 PM10/19/01
Brizon wrote:

> anyone remember the url for the guy who did the 3D version of a H. R. Giger
> painting? I think it was a 3dluvr site, but damned if I can find it so far,
> any help would be great, cheers.

I'd love to see that also.....although, I woulda thought Geiger would be a
bit beyond most 3D packages...given how bizarre the feller is.

--
Rob Depew
http://www.geocities.com/lwanmtr

Brizon

Oct 19, 2001, 2:49:01 PM10/19/01
someone posted the link a while ago here, but not remembering who it was, or
any keywords in the message makes it difficult to find it on googlegroups
grrr :-)

Apparantly according to Erik Dehkhoda who's working on the Alptraum short
its not that difficult, though his versions are missing the "filth" effect
of Gigers originals. Wanted to check this other guys site out again as he
had some hints that might be useful. Trouble is so far he seems to be the
only guy who's attempted a 3D version of a Giger painting with any great
success, most might try the Alien or Eggs but thats about it.

I'm sure LW is quite capable of it though, Bryce can kinda do it, LW 7 with
bump displacement would / should be easy with subdivision, I'll try it in 3D
one day... one day...

btw im gonna do my Seattle Eric and point out its Giger not Geiger, sorry
:-)

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

LWAnmtr <lgm...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Seattle Eric

Oct 19, 2001, 3:18:23 PM10/19/01
Brizon wrote:

> btw im gonna do my Seattle Eric and point out its Giger not Geiger, sorry
> :-)

GreeeAAAaat. >|^(

<g>

* Look: There's "A RAT" in the middle of "separate". *

Brizon

Kevin F Stubbs

Oct 19, 2001, 3:27:45 PM10/19/01
Easy way to remember :

Geiger invented something to detect radiation
Giger invented something to frighten it away :-)

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Brizon

Tesselator

Oct 19, 2001, 3:05:58 PM10/19/01
http://www.giger.com/

Not right?

ok search for "Geiger-esque stuff: bump maps? Displacment maps?"
in google!

Tesselator

Oct 19, 2001, 3:16:17 PM10/19/01

Brizon

Brizon

Oct 19, 2001, 3:37:40 PM10/19/01
nope, thats the main man, would be interesting to see how Giger fares with
LW though, since he likes his scultures so much these days. I think he maybe
had a chance to a few years ago when he was in talks about workin on Lexx,
but his involvment never happened.. so the show suffered *grins*

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

Tesselator <jimb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Seattle Eric

Oct 19, 2001, 3:45:20 PM10/19/01

Brizon wrote:

> hehe, I couldn't resist, the Giger mispelling has driven me nutts since
> school :-)

Yeah, well, welcome to my world.

Mark Dunakin

Oct 19, 2001, 4:26:31 PM10/19/01
That was good........ md : )

Kevin F Stubbs wrote:

--
Check out my Tutorials:

MD arts
Mark Dunakin
m...@tmisnet.com
http://www.tmisnet.com/~md/

"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like Grandpa did,
not screaming like the passengers in his car."

Tesselator

Oct 19, 2001, 3:56:13 PM10/19/01

"Brizon" <Bri...@darkicefxiaboutasfunnyasastevemartinsketch.co.uk> wrote in message news:9qpvho$645$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...

> nope, thats the main man, would be interesting to see how Giger fares with
> LW though, since he likes his scultures so much these days. I think he maybe
> had a chance to a few years ago when he was in talks about workin on Lexx,
> but his involvment never happened.. so the show suffered *grins*

I think all he does these days is a little sketching and supervise his apprentices.

I watched a recent film and it looks like he's crippled or something...

Tesselator

Oct 19, 2001, 4:26:09 PM10/19/01

"Seattle Eric" <Spam...@spamknot.com> wrote in message news:9qpvsg$r5j$0...@216.39.134.105...

> Brizon wrote:
> >
> > hehe, I couldn't resist, the Giger mispelling has driven me nutts since
> > school :-)
>
> Yeah, well, welcome to my world.

Seattle Briz ???

Boston Brizon

Brizon

Oct 19, 2001, 4:58:24 PM10/19/01
rheumatism or arthritis, all that fibreglass dust from his sculptures, paint
fumes probably messed up his lungs, vibrations from the airbrush for 20
years messing up his hands (gets me painfully after just a few weeks
airbrushing so 20 years probably did him a lot of damage), coupled with the
fact that he's getting on a bit now, I'm surprised he's still alive :-) He
gave up his painting saying he was bored of it now, and wanted to
concentrate on his sculptures and toy versions of some of his artwork, so
will probably have a lot of guys doing the work for him, though he'll still
get his hands dirty if things aren't being done how he wants. his mind is
still as sharp as it always was though. But I wish he'd give up on the
scribble cartoonish pictures he sometimes does now, look very scrappy, but
heh he can still sell them for thousands so they can't be that bad :-)

Course now he doesn't paint anymore, there's a space in the art world for a
replacement *grins* and it sure as hell wont be my closest competition T.
Partington, who's site appears to have vanished suddenly for no reason
*grins* hehe, I think I'll just book myself a trip to Europe and go visit
him, maybe being cheeky will come in handy, see about buying some originals
too, could do with one of those up above the fireplace :-)

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

Tesselator <jimb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tesselator

Oct 19, 2001, 5:05:48 PM10/19/01

"Boston Brizon" <Bri...@darkicefxiaboutasfunnyasastevemartinsketch.co.uk> wrote in message news:9qq39p$2t2$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> naaa :-)
>
> --

Hehehe... After the strangeler?

Tolaris

Oct 19, 2001, 7:43:29 PM10/19/01
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:27:45 +0100, Kevin F Stubbs wrote..

>[radiation]

>Giger invented something to frighten it away :-)

--
I'm not sure, with that "nuke it from the orbit" sentiment
his works evoke.... <g>

Tolaris
going down.
--
just before he died, he said:
"Maybe we should just kill him."

Brizon

Steve

Oct 21, 2001, 6:32:26 AM10/21/01
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:27:12 -0700, LWAnmtr <lgm...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Brizon wrote:
>>
>> anyone remember the url for the guy who did the 3D version of a H. R. Giger
>> painting? I think it was a 3dluvr site, but damned if I can find it so far,
>> any help would be great, cheers.
>
>I'd love to see that also.....although, I woulda thought Geiger would be a
>bit beyond most 3D packages...given how bizarre the feller is.

Bizarre? Take a look at this http://www.nanami3d.com

If you're into Giger type stuff you'll like this. Very inspirational.

--
Steve.

"I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees."

Brizon

Oct 21, 2001, 6:42:50 AM10/21/01
Cheers for that, not the guy I had in mind but very impressive work, seen
his stuff before and it certainly makes LW look good when someone does this
kind of quality with it, exceptional stuff, cheers.

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

Steve <s...@noradutr.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

NOWHEREIN

Oct 23, 2001, 4:16:08 PM10/23/01
You might look at
H.R. Giger's "Alptraum" 3D Project

http://www.eriktek.com/giger/

It has a link to the modeler's site, but no tips or even the work he did on the
projects :( I can tell it was done on a Mac, but really can't tell what
program.

Chris

js33

Oct 24, 2001, 1:24:05 AM10/24/01
Hi Brizon,

Try this
http://www.3dluvr.com/gio/images/
It's just a bunch of images of renders the guy did.
I guess he never got his site together as it was like
this over a year ago when I looked at it.

Cheers,
JS

Don Dempsey

Oct 24, 2001, 11:58:02 AM10/24/01
Maybe someone can confirm or deny this, but I read that Giger's name is
actually pronounced like "GHEE-ger". I think it had more of a psychological
intimidation factor when I pronounced it "GYE-ger" as in "Geiger counter".
"Gheeger" sounds like a muppet name...

the don

(p.s. maybe this thread will inspire someone to create some evil looking,
biomechanical, Giger-inspired muppets with Lightwave...)

"Brizon" <Bri...@darkicefxiaboutasfunnyasastevemartinsketch.co.uk> wrote in
message news:9qpskk$4as$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...

Tonton

Oct 24, 2001, 5:50:07 PM10/24/01
Now something even scarier...

Next weekend there's a tattoo show in my town and Mr. Giger himself will be
there (to award a prize he made for the best tattoo I suppose). And guess
what, there are people with his FACE tattooed on them ! I saw that in the
newspaper.

Don Dempsey <ddem...@nospam.acteksoft.com> a écrit dans le message :
ttdou83...@corp.supernews.com...

Dave Adams

Oct 24, 2001, 8:31:17 PM10/24/01

Tonton wrote in message <3bd73...@news.bluewin.ch>...

>Now something even scarier...
>
>Next weekend there's a tattoo show in my town and Mr. Giger himself will be
>there (to award a prize he made for the best tattoo I suppose). And guess
>what, there are people with his FACE tattooed on them ! I saw that in the
>newspaper.

Didn't 2 of Giger's girlfriends commit suicide?

FRANK封 PANUCCI

Oct 24, 2001, 9:02:15 PM10/24/01
->>Didn't 2 of Giger's girlfriends commit suicide?<<

At least one of them did. According to a magazine article from many years ago,
she had no family, so Giger claimed the body. He took it to a museum and had
the flesh stripped away by carpet beetles normally used to clean the bones of
zoological specimens. The skeleton was mounted and displayed in Giger's living
room, bullet hole in the skull and everything.

It that's not totally made up, it's, like, the coolest thing ever. The article
was in HEAVY METAL, which is well-known for journalistic integrity.

_______________
Frank封 Panucci
http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Brizon

Oct 25, 2001, 7:33:41 AM10/25/01
Just the one girlfriend killed herself, Li Tobler in 1975, brough on by
depression which she suffered from a lot, I think she's in the documentry
that they filmed around the time of her last exhibition (she used to be an
actress but got bored of it at some point), they were together for about 9
years and we're very much in love apparantly, so what Frank said about what
he did with the body afterwards could well be true (he did do a second
celebration of the four in memory of her, that might be part of it) we all
know Love makes people do crazy things :-) Course he couldn't have been that
hurt about losing her since he started seeing that Mia Bonzanigo (say that
name fast 10 times while drunk hehe) in 78.

Btw, Gigers two most famous paintings other than his Alien work, the two
female faces are of Li Tobler - No. 250 Li I, & No 251 Li II. I've only got
a print of the first one, looks great on the wall, seen quite a bit in
nightclub scenes in movies (it of pointless trivia for ya :-)
--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

Dave Adams <LightwaveDave*@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Brizon

Brizon

Oct 25, 2001, 7:35:27 AM10/25/01
Yeah heard about that a while back, very little information exists on it,
infact at times I wonder if its more than just those few models, as for the
program I think it looks like Ray Dream Studio (or whatever its called these
days) though if its the Mac it could be any number of 3D prog, maybe
Electric Image?

They should have used LW for it ;-))

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

NOWHEREIN <nowh...@aol.com> wrote in message

Brizon

Oct 25, 2001, 7:37:47 AM10/25/01
yup, its pronounced Geeeger.

lol now there's an idea, could be a fun doing a biomechanical Gonzo or
Kermit though, or even Evil Bert & Ernie hahah

just no fozzy bear, please, he's way too scary already

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

Don Dempsey <ddem...@nospam.acteksoft.com> wrote in message

Brizon

Oct 25, 2001, 7:47:35 AM10/25/01
I can't say I've ever heard of that before, but I do know he really loved
her, and like I said in my other post, love makes people do crazy things, so
even though its a little far fetched I wouldn't rule it out completely,

Ok, just checked up on that second celebration of the four thing, looks like
the article you mentioned could well be true, sounds like it covers what
went on with this...

The Second Celebration of the four at Ueli Steinle's Ugly-Club in
Richterswil in 1976 was for me a considerably more serious event, since it
was intended to celebrate an homage to my late, longtime lover Li, and to
consecrate a specially laid out chamber for her.

H. R. Giger

spooky :-\

--

-------

FRANK.. PANUCCI <frankpe...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> Frank.. Panucci
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Brizon

Oct 25, 2001, 7:40:14 AM10/25/01
Get yourself down there and try get an autograph, get it on one of his
pictures of books and it'll be worth quite a bit, get it on Necronomicon or
Biomechanics either one or two and it'll be worth a small fortune, just a
shame those bigger books are so damn expensive to buy :-\

I might be a big fan of the guy, but I'd never be mad enough to tattoo his
face on me, thats just well.. weird :-)

(like I've any room to talk lol)

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

Tonton <fake....@no.spam.com> wrote in message

js33

Oct 29, 2001, 6:14:28 AM10/29/01
No prob.

Cheers,
JS

Tonton

Oct 29, 2001, 7:46:45 PM10/29/01
Sorry, I couldn't. I was too afraid to get an autograph on me ;)

By the way, his museum (I suppose it is a museum, or it will be) in Gruyère
is not very far from where I live...

Brizon <Bri...@darkicefxiaboutasfunnyasastevemartinsketch.co.uk> a écrit
dans le message : 9rj4dm$heh$8...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Don Dempsey

Oct 30, 2001, 10:40:53 AM10/30/01

Fozzy bear is indeed pure e-ville. Here's another strange combination idea
for a lightwave animation/halloween costume: "Fozzy Osbourne". A
burned-out, overweight, muppet bear with a sideways hat, a black cape, and
he's biting the head off a muppet bat (or a muppet dove, depending on which
rumor you've heard)...

the don

"Brizon" <Bri...@darkicefxiaboutasfunnyasastevemartinsketch.co.uk> wrote in
message news:9rj4dl$heh$7...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Brizon

Oct 31, 2001, 7:00:46 AM10/31/01
Can I come stay with you for a bit? hehehe, seriously though that castle /
chateau looks beautiful, bit of pointless trivia, me and my ex were supposed
to be getting married there if we could pull off the big costs it would end
up being, what with her family and all that. Would have been so cool if I
could have got Giger as best man lol something to tell the grandchildren
about :-)

oh and no, she wasn't quite sure just how "weird" the inside is, probably
why she didn't say no heheh

--

-------
BriZon

Co-Founder & Director of VFX DarkICE fx.
===================/\===================
www.lexxpark.co.uk || www.darkicefx.co.uk
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT
W: bri...@darkicefx.co.uk
H: ch...@biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk
ICQ: 124947563 || MSN: Lexxpark
===================\/===================

Tonton <fake....@no.spam.com> wrote in message

Brizon

Tonton

Oct 31, 2001, 3:44:39 PM10/31/01
> Can I come stay with you for a bit?

Stay with me ? Well, I have my multi-function Swiss army sleeping bag. I
only use it a few weeks every other year so it's available... ;) (And I
also have some Swiss army biscuits from the last time I went *into* the
mountains to sleep with some canons ;)

> hehehe, seriously though that castle /
> chateau looks beautiful, bit of pointless trivia, me and my ex were
supposed
> to be getting married there if we could pull off the big costs it would
end
> up being, what with her family and all that. Would have been so cool if I
> could have got Giger as best man lol something to tell the grandchildren
> about :-)
>
> oh and no, she wasn't quite sure just how "weird" the inside is, probably
> why she didn't say no heheh

Well, I haven't been there, so I can't say how it looks like inside. But I'm
sure that if you could have been married there she wouldn't be your "ex" now
;)

Some other bit of pointless trivia. In a sci-fi museum in some other town,
there is an original Alien from the 1979 film. And I saw this one. Not very
impressive. Those things weren't built to last. I don't even know if it's
still there...

Don Dempsey

Oct 31, 2001, 5:26:45 PM10/31/01
That IS a rather disturbing mental image, isn't it...

the don

"Brizon" <Bri...@darkicefxiaboutasfunnyasastevemartinsketch.co.uk> wrote in
message news:9rp2on$gac$3...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...

Brizon

Brizon

Nov 5, 2001, 5:56:07 AM11/5/01
heh yeah, latex of old did perish pretty quickly, the stuff they smeared the
costume in the movie to give it the eiwwy appearance didn't help too from
what I've read, they had to keep repainting it after every shot, then cover
it again with the stuff, I am very surprised the original is still around,
the full size one I saw was most likely made from the mold and not the
actual costume, it looked far too impressive to be the real thing hehe,
would have been nice to see the real one though, just for the sake of it
:-), only wish I had taken a camera with me :-(

--

-------