Possible bug related with fit command and line style color

Daniel

Jul 20, 2009, 12:25:17 PM7/20/09
to dfff...@gmail.com
I tried to display a graph showing the function that fits some data,
similarly as done in the fit.dem example. I noticed that, whenever I
do a fit and then try to plot a graph with customized line color, I
get the message "cb axis range undefined or overflow" and a black
graph is shown. When I clear the color setting, the graph works
again.

This behavior is easily reproducible for the fit.dem example, by
adding the line
set style line 1 lc rgb "#00FFFF"
before the first fit command, and adding "ls 1" to :
set title 'all fit params set to 0'
plot 'lcdemo.dat', l(x) ls 1
and:
set title 'unweighted fit'
plot 'lcdemo.dat', l(x) ls 1

Observe that the first plot is shown as expected with the changed
color. But the second one fails, although the command is identical to
the first one.

Using:
gnuplot> show version
G N U P L O T
Version 4.2 patchlevel 5
last modified Mar 2009
System: MS-Windows 32 bit

Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007 - 2009
Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

sfeam

Jul 20, 2009, 7:47:14 PM7/20/09
Daniel wrote:

> I tried to display a graph showing the function that fits some data,
> similarly as done in the fit.dem example. I noticed that, whenever I
> do a fit and then try to plot a graph with customized line color, I
> get the message "cb axis range undefined or overflow" and a black
> graph is shown. When I clear the color setting, the graph works
> again.

I can confirm the problem exists in 4.2.5
It seems to be fixed in the cvs source code for both 4.2 and 4.4,
although I don't see anything in the ChangeLog that immediately jumps
out as being related to this problem. So you should see a fixed version
in due course.

thanks for the report,

sfream (Ethan Merritt)

geep

Jul 21, 2009, 4:45:26 PM7/21/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:47:14 -0700, sfeam wrote:
> I can confirm the problem exists in 4.2.5 It seems to be fixed in the
> cvs source code for both 4.2 and 4.4, although I don't see anything in
4.4 :)

Cheers,
Peter