source compilation in Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

antia

Feb 7, 2008, 9:51:57 PM2/7/08

I am trying to install gnuplot from source on a MacBookPro running
Leopard (Mac OS 10.5). I have tried to compile the official sources
for gnuplot 4.2.0, 4.2.2 and the latest version from the CVS
repository (as of 8Feb2008). I do:

./configure
make
sudo make install

and at the make stage I always (for all the above versions) get the
following errors:

Undefined symbols:
"_rl_forced_update_display", referenced from:
_restore_prompt in command.o
"_rl_ding", referenced from:
_alert in mouse.o
"_history_list", referenced from:
_write_history_list in history.o
"_rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion", referenced from:
_rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion$non_lazy_ptr in plot.o
"_rl_reset_after_signal", referenced from:
_main in plot.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [gnuplot] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any help or suggestions for diagnosing would be much appreciated.

In the meantime, I have been using the gnuplot4.2.2 binary distributed
inside the distribution by the Octave project. This can be found at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888&package_id=237839

You download the octave-3.0.0-i386.dmg (for intel macs, there is
also a PPC version)

mount it (without installing), and inside of the "extras" folders
there is a file called gnuplot-4.2.2-i386.dmg which can be installed
on its own.

Although this binary works well, I would really appreciate some help
in getting the "right" thing to work so that I can upgrade and test
the newer versions.

Regards,

Antia

Ethan Merritt

Feb 7, 2008, 11:02:14 PM2/7/08
In article <259f4a58-9565-46a2...@q21g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

antia <antia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to install gnuplot from source on a MacBookPro running
>Leopard (Mac OS 10.5). I have tried to compile the official sources
>for gnuplot 4.2.0, 4.2.2 and the latest version from the CVS
>repository (as of 8Feb2008). I do:
>
>./configure
>make
>sudo make install
>
>and at the make stage I always (for all the above versions) get the
>following errors:
>
>Undefined symbols:
> "_rl_forced_update_display", referenced from:
> _restore_prompt in command.o
> "_rl_ding", referenced from:
> _alert in mouse.o
> "_history_list", referenced from:
> _write_history_list in history.o
> "_rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion", referenced from:
> _rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion$non_lazy_ptr in plot.o
> "_rl_reset_after_signal", referenced from:
> _main in plot.o
>ld: symbol(s) not found

Please see tracker item #102055 on the SourceForge site.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1839048&group_id=2055&atid=102055

In a nutshell, this is a problem with OSX itself.
Apple chose to ship Leopard with an emulated libreadline package.
But the emulation is incomplete, and programs that link against it expecting
a "real" libreadline fail with erros like the ones you quote.
I suggest complaining to Apple. They should hear from their users that
their choice of libraries was not good.

Meanwhile, your options are either

(1) delete the broken libreadline that shipped with Leopard
and replace it with the real gnu libreadline

(2) tell gnuplot not to use libreadline at all
./configure --with-readline=builtin

--
Ethan A Merritt

antia

Feb 7, 2008, 11:44:42 PM2/7/08
Thanks! The change in libreadline option solved the compilations
issues (I'll complain to Apple!).

However, a quick test of the install reveals that on launch gnuplot
has the terminal set to "unkown" and attempts to set it to a useful
interactive terminal such as "aqua" or "X" are not sucessful.

This is what my session looks like:

###
Terminal type set to 'unknown'
gnuplot> set terminal X
^
unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal'
for a list
###

I typed:

set term

for info on the available terminals and neither "aqua" nor "x" appear
on the list. In contrast, the same listing from the binary release
from the Octave version gives "aqua", "x11" and "xlib" as
possibilities. Any idea of how to get back the missing terminals? Or
is this issue connected to the libreadline misbehaviour?

Thanks a lot for the help - antia

On Feb 8, 12:02 pm, merr...@u.washington.edu (Ethan Merritt) wrote:
> In article <259f4a58-9565-46a2-99e2-ca6f628ce...@q21g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

> antia <antia.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >I am trying to install gnuplot from source on a MacBookPro running
> >Leopard (Mac OS 10.5). I have tried to compile the official sources
> >for gnuplot 4.2.0, 4.2.2 and the latest version from the CVS
> >repository (as of 8Feb2008). I do:
>
> >./configure
> >make
> >sudo make install
>
> >and at the make stage I always (for all the above versions) get the
> >following errors:
>
> >Undefined symbols:
> > "_rl_forced_update_display", referenced from:
> > _restore_prompt in command.o
> > "_rl_ding", referenced from:
> > _alert in mouse.o
> > "_history_list", referenced from:
> > _write_history_list in history.o
> > "_rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion", referenced from:
> > _rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion$non_lazy_ptr in plot.o
> > "_rl_reset_after_signal", referenced from:
> > _main in plot.o
> >ld: symbol(s) not found
>
> Please see tracker item #102055 on the SourceForge site.
>

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1839048&grou...

Ethan Merritt

Feb 7, 2008, 11:49:40 PM2/7/08
In article <6905ec40-9773-4824...@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

antia <antia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>However, a quick test of the install reveals that on launch gnuplot
>has the terminal set to "unkown" and attempts to set it to a useful
>interactive terminal such as "aqua" or "X" are not sucessful.

I have to assume that the ./configure could not find support libraries or
appropriate header files for aquaterm and x11. But I know this works in
general, so I can't suggest anything other than making sure you really
do have the relevant Apple developers' kits installed.

You can get more specific information on what it failed to find by looking
in the file config.log, which is a record of what the ./configure script did.

--
Ethan A Merritt

Mustafa K. Isik

Apr 3, 2008, 1:28:50 PM4/3/08
Ethan, Antia,

Thank you both for the pointers to the binary and source of the code
compilation problems on Leopard respectively. I spent the last hour
fiddling with this issue (http://twitter.com/codesurgeon/statuses/
782232753).

--
Mustafa K. Isik