plotting data without datafile?

Lore Leunoeg

Jan 27, 2008, 5:53:12 AM1/27/08
Hello

I want to send data directly (without storing them in an data file) from a
perl script to gnuplot. Does the plot command accept something like a matrix
or a datastring?

Any example or any good command documentation of gnuplot would help. I fount
lots of good introductions for gnuplot but I couldn't find a good command
reference.

Thank you
Sincerely
Lore

Joerg Hau

Jan 27, 2008, 6:26:06 AM1/27/08

On Sunday 27 January 2008 11:53, Lore Leunoeg wrote:

> I want to send data directly (without storing them in an data file) from
> a perl script to gnuplot. Does the plot command accept something like a
> matrix or a datastring?

Yes. You can pipe any data "on the fly" via stdin. For examples, just
launch gnuplot, then type "help plot datafile special".

> Any example or any good command documentation of gnuplot would help. I
> fount lots of good introductions for gnuplot but I couldn't find a good
> command reference.

Did you ever type "help" inside gnuplot ... ? ;-)

Cheers + HTH,

- Joerg

--
joerg dot hau at swissonline dot ch * Lausanne, Switzerland
http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/joerg.hau/

Lore Leunoeg

Jan 27, 2008, 8:03:10 AM1/27/08
Hello Joerg

> Yes. You can pipe any data "on the fly" via stdin. For examples, just
> launch gnuplot, then type "help plot datafile special".

That was what I needed. Thank you :)

Is there any way to get a list of the subtopics in gnuplot -help? All I
found earlyer was the "plotting"-topic. How did you get the "plot datafile
special"?

Thank you
Lore

Ethan Merritt

Jan 27, 2008, 12:59:17 PM1/27/08
In article <fnhv2h$4oo$1...@news01.versatel.de>,

I recommend to download the PDF version of the help file,
which has an index:

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/docs/gnuplot.pdf

There's also an html version online at

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/documentation.html