Gnuplot does not compile on OS X 10.5.1

geometric...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2007, 5:36:58 PM11/18/07
Has anyone been able to compile gnuplot (4.2.2) on OS X 10.5.1? I am
running configure then make, but get the following:

++ -g -O2 -o gnuplot alloc.o axis.o breaders.o bitmap.o color.o
command.o contour.o datafile.o dynarray.o eval.o fit.o gadgets.o
getcolor.o graph3d.o graphics.o help.o hidden3d.o history.o internal.o
interpol.o matrix.o misc.o mouse.o parse.o plot.o plot2d.o plot3d.o
pm3d.o readline.o save.o scanner.o set.o show.o specfun.o standard.o
stdfn.o tables.o term.o time.o unset.o util.o util3d.o variable.o
version.o -lreadline -lncurses -lz -laquaterm -framework
Foundation
Undefined symbols:
"_rl_forced_update_display", referenced from:
_restore_prompt in command.o
"_rl_ding", referenced from:
_alert in mouse.o
"_history_list", referenced from:
_write_history_list in history.o
"_rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion", referenced from:
_rl_complete_with_tilde_expansion$non_lazy_ptr in plot.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [gnuplot] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Ethan Merritt

Nov 18, 2007, 7:14:59 PM11/18/07
In article <87f9417b-71cc-4fc0...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

<geometric...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Has anyone been able to compile gnuplot (4.2.2) on OS X 10.5.1? I am
>running configure then make, but get the following:

Known problem. Apple's fault - complain to them.
As I understand the situation based on information from earlier reports,
the story seems to be that Apple have provided a "fake" libreadline
shared library. It's really a compatibility layer over the BSD
libedit library. But the compatibility isn't complete, and in particular
it is missing many of the routines used for readline support by gnuplot.

If the configure script can't find libreadline then it is supposed to fall
back to using built-in routines. But the "fake" libreadline fools the
configure script into thinking it really is present, and then the build
fails later when it turns out that routines are missing.

Alternative work-arounds:

1) Explicitly tell gnuplot libreadline is not available:
./configure --with-readline=builtin

2) Delete the fake libreadline libraries from OSX and install
the real gnu libreadline as a system library.

3) Install the real gnu libreadline into your personal account and
tell gnuplot to use it:
./configure --with-readline=/my/private/readline/installdir
This may require some playing around with additional -L and -I
pointers in CFLAGS, and is probably harder than replacing the
system copy of the library.

--
Ethan A Merritt

geometric...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2007, 7:54:09 PM11/18/07
On Nov 18, 7:14 pm, merr...@u.washington.edu (Ethan Merritt) wrote:

> Ethan A Merritt

Thank you for your prompt and thorough reply. Your workarounds worked
great.

Thanks again,

- G

jim.s...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2007, 7:35:18 PM12/5/07

This is very odd, I compiled gnuplot on a G4 PowerBook under 10.5.1
today and I didn't need the work around. This evening I'm doing it on
a 10.5.1 Dual G4 and there I need it. Anyway thanks for the hints, I
took option 1.

--jim