Word & Thought Balloons

Postman Delivers

Dec 15, 2008, 2:31:09 AM12/15/08
How do I create these... The link below is a font to demonstrate what I
mean by a word balloon.
www.dafont.com/font-comment.php?file=talkies&text=funny+Girl

Is there an easy way to create word balloons and have control of the tail
length and direction? Is there a plugin or?

JR

Spamless

Dec 15, 2008, 1:42:24 PM12/15/08

For simple ones, I might copy a layer and select the material I want in
the balloon, for example, if it is text I created, duplicate the layer
and select by transparency (a text layer is transparent except for the
text). Expand the selection. As it expands, the expanded letter items
blend into each other and the outer section smooths out like a cloud.
Now, selection to path. That allows me to move and add vertices, pull
what I want out as a tail, choose to change the angles, smooth things
out, put in whatever curvature I want. Stroke selection then gives
me the balloon with tail. For simpler things I just use a rounded
rectangle or ellipse, convert to path to allow me to add/adjust a
tail and stroke. Shadows, etc. can be added to the selection if you
want to be fancy.

Spamless

Dec 15, 2008, 3:17:59 PM12/15/08
On 2008-12-15, Spamless <Spam...@Nil.nil> wrote:
> On 2008-12-15, Postman Delivers <JR_the_...@xyzahoo.com> wrote:
>> How do I create these... The link below is a font to demonstrate what I
>> mean by a word balloon.
>> www.dafont.com/font-comment.php?file=talkies&text=funny+Girl
>>
>> Is there an easy way to create word balloons and have control of the tail
>> length and direction? Is there a plugin or?
>
> For simple ones, I might copy a layer and select the material I want in
> the balloon, for example, if it is text I created, duplicate the layer
> and select by transparency (a text layer is transparent except for the
> text). Expand the selection. As it expands, the expanded letter items
> blend into each other and the outer section smooths out like a cloud.

Rats ... don't duplicate the layer. Create a new transparent (or pure
white or ...) layer and switch to that layer while you have a selection
you want as the outline of the ballooon (e.g. an expanded selection
originally of some text, the outline of a cloud from a photo, some
shape you want to use, an ellipse, rounded rectangle, etc.).

> Now, selection to path. That allows me to move and add vertices, pull
> what I want out as a tail, choose to change the angles, smooth things
> out, put in whatever curvature I want. Stroke selection then gives
> me the balloon with tail.

Note: After selection->path, and modifying the path (adding a tail, etc.)
change the selection (not the path) to the entire layer or else your
stroke (of the path) will only be applied in the selected region (for
brushes, etc. - the part of the "stroke" outside the selection will not
be made).

I see one image at www.dafont.com with some stars ... take a star frame,
e.g. created with gfig, overlap them, take the outside region (contiguous
colours) and invert to have the selection of the outline of the overlapping
stars (perhaps arranged around the border of a circle), convert to path,
add tail, etc.